MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wooohooo! A 60CSx is a great package to Open on X-mas
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheCollector
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Wooohooo! A 60CSx is a great package to Open on X-mas Reply with quote

Just got done with x-mas and i opened a new 60CSx. I know some what about them, but i need to know what software i need to buy now it has the basics. I want maps and all the goodies so what do i need to do and what do i need to buy? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately need to get a power cable for it. $7.99 on eBay.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need City Navigator, for the map data. Some people like to get the US Topo Mapsource but I've never found it useful in Minnesota (in the metro anyway). Then download GSAK and the POI Loader and you're all set.

A car power cable is good like Bart mentioned.. A longer lanyard is good.. I also like the friction mount, which comes in the auto navigation kit along with a car power cable and City Navigator.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
You need City Navigator, for the map data. Some people like to get the US Topo Mapsource but I've never found it useful in Minnesota (in the metro anyway).

Good advice. I have the Topo map set and am always envious when caching with PapaBear and his City Navigator maps do proper routing when my Topo map puts the GPS into a continuous loop of calculating. Topo Map, even the newest release, has maps over 7 years old and doesn't contain many old roads.
tesser
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked for a new 60Cx and got an HCx. Should I be okay with that? I mostly wanted to upgrade to get better accuracy than my newbie Legend. I'm not a high-tech person, I just want to be in the right place and send people to the right place. The HCx will be more familiar to me with the buttons. It looks like this one has the battery-eating altimeter too, like the 60CSx. Not sure I need it, but it is a perk. Reviews on Amazon say is has amazing signal strength, which I look forward to after the Legend. Should I keep it, or return it to get the 60?
A.B.E.L.
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought my 60CSx a month or two ago and here are somethings I've found to be essential;

- ZAGG Invisible Shield (link)
- 2Gb MicroSD card (link)
- Garmin carrying case (link)
- City Navigator 2008 NT Mapset
- Topo 2008 Mapset
- GSAK (link)
- Ram Mount for the car, this is the best price I've found on it (link)

Also, if you're not doing paperless caching now I *HIGHLY* recommend it, I picked up a Visor Handspring for free off a buddy and bought cachemate and WOW! I can't believe I ever did without it!
TheCollector
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the ideas. I probably going to get the mapping and a bigger card soon. Thanks again and keep the ideas coming
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCollector wrote:
thanks for all the ideas. I probably going to get the mapping and a bigger card soon. Thanks again and keep the ideas coming

I was going to suggest a bigger card but I'm not sure if you need it unless you're doing POI's or if you travel a lot. You can fit all of MN (City Navigator) on the built-in card. But if you want one, you can get a 1Gb card on newegg.com for $9. That's what I have.. 2Gb seems ridiculously large, but the cards are cheap so why not.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
TheCollector wrote:

I was going to suggest a bigger card but I'm not sure if you need it unless you're doing POI's or if you travel a lot. You can fit all of MN (City Navigator) on the built-in card. But if you want one, you can get a 1Gb card on newegg.com for $9. That's what I have.. 2Gb seems ridiculously large, but the cards are cheap so why not.

I can fit the entire lower 48 of the Topo Mapset on a 1GB card if you format it properly.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
if you format it properly.

Can you explain that?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
bflentje wrote:
if you format it properly.

Can you explain that?

I think if you use the FAT32 format you can realize the full capacity of a memory card. But if you use just plain old FAT, like I inadvertently use to do, you can only see like 540MB (or something close). And I want to qualify this by saying I could be wrong... there "used to be" a difference. But I think it still applies today.

Oh, and if you format with NTFS, there's a chance your device might not recognize the format and pretend it needs to be reformatted.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my 60csx. At the geotech in Forest Lake Sokratz showed us how to use GSAK to load all sorts of cache info on to the CSX, I hardly use my pda any more.
TheCollector
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
TheCollector wrote:

ill probably get the 2gb cause im going to Europe this summer and working so i want to have some maps there also. I was wondering with the mapping software can more then one unit use it?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCollector wrote:
pfalstad wrote:
TheCollector wrote:

ill probably get the 2gb cause im going to Europe this summer and working so i want to have some maps there also. I was wondering with the mapping software can more then one unit use it?

I believe City Navigator is keyed to your unit's serial number. Someone will probably correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you used to be able to use it on up to three serial numbers but now it's restricted to one. If you try and load maps that haven't been setup for your GPS then your GPS won't read them.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It used to be two per person and now it's one but otherwise correct.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: