MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Topo software
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBcrashen wrote:
Like Abberrix posted, you just hide Navigator or Topo, not the individual map segments.

Not on my gps.
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:

Not on my gps.

There is a little trick. Once you get the right sequence, you'll see it.

1 .Access the map page. City Nav will be showing because it always takes precedence.

2. Click Menu, Setup Map.

3. On the top of the page are several icons. Make sure the info icon (the lower case I in a circle) is selected

4. Then press Menu again.

5. Scroll down the list to "Hide City Navigator" and hit enter.

Now you should see the topo for wherever you are. When you get back on the road repeat the process and select "Show City Navigator."

The part that confuses some people is step #3 above. If you get that correct, you should have no problem.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it!! I was skipping step #4 and just going down to select map segments. Thanks!

RubberToes wrote:
pfalstad wrote:

Not on my gps.

1 .Access the map page. City Nav will be showing because it always takes precedence.

3. On the top of the page are several icons. Make sure the info icon (the lower case I in a circle) is selected

Now you should see the topo for wherever you are. When you get back on the road repeat the process and select "Show City Navigator."

The part that confuses some people is step #3 above. If you get that correct, you should have no problem.
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I have both the topo and metroguide loaded, and toggle between the two - it's nice to know where wetlands are. One of the nice things about the Topo 08 is that you can copy the files to PC, so you don't need to swap CDs in and out.

The topos from North Dakota to Washington DC take up about 700 Mb.
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another trick on it is if you want to auto route but would rather have topo showing and not navigator, do your auto routing first and then turn off navigator. all your turns and beeping will still be there for that auto route.
A.B.E.L.
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
I got it!!

hehe, glad you figured that out. I know its a huge time saver. I have the entire NA City Navigator maps loaded as well as the entire midwest topo maps AND the entire central state parks 24k:1 maps... I usually use City Navigator to "get me there" (via car) then I go into the menu and hide the City Navigator map set so I can then get a "line of sight" navigation and then use the topo or state park maps I have loaded to get me to the cache itself. I've found this to be the best for me so far.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RubberToes wrote:
pfalstad wrote:

Not on my gps.

So then how do you load both map sets on the same memory chip? When I use MapSource to upload mapsets, it always removes my existing mapset first.
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:

So then how do you load both map sets on the same memory chip? When I use MapSource to upload mapsets, it always removes my existing mapset first.

This is not too hard. I presume you have both map sets available in one installation of Mapsource.

In Mapsource, select the City Nav maps and select a few. They will appear in your map window. Then switch to the Toop maps and select a few. They will appear in your map window as well. When you send the maps to the GPSr, maps from both sets will be delivered.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:

Rubbertoes already answered this, but if you want to add new map sets to your existing mapset, use Transfer->Receive from device to retrieve the old maps (it doesn't retrieve the actual maps, just the list, which is quick) and then add the new ones you want.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
bflentje wrote:

Rubbertoes already answered this, but if you want to add new map sets to your existing mapset, use Transfer->Receive from device to retrieve the old maps (it doesn't retrieve the actual maps, just the list, which is quick) and then add the new ones you want.

This I can do. It was the two different map sets, topo and nav that I wasn't sure about. I'll have to check MapSource. I am sure it was there all along. Kind of like searching for "out in the open" cache containers.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am sure it was there all along. Kind of like searching for "out in the open" cache containers.

That is a great description of how I feel with some of this stuff.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
pfalstad wrote:
bflentje wrote:

This I can do. It was the two different map sets, topo and nav that I wasn't sure about. I'll have to check MapSource. I am sure it was there all along. Kind of like searching for "out in the open" cache containers.

Finally got my City Nav 2008 today. Woohoo. Now I for sure won't get lost.. Cool Cool
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was giddy as a school boy last night after I had downloaded a CityNav mapset into my GPS and the routing WORKED exactly as I was expecting.

I think the topo mapset will probably now find itself buried at the bottom of my desk drawer.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone that added to this thread, there is a lot of good stuff here. Just thought I would let you know (like anyone cares) I just bought the City Navigator and is is great. I still have a lot to learn with it.
Thanks
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just snagged a copy of Topo 2k8 so I can find more high terrain places for caches--just for you guys Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: