MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zuma!
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met with the park contact today at Frontenac State Park, and was very very impressed by how well the details of the State Park promotion in Minnesota have been planned.....Big time Kudos to Esko for his work in with MN DOT in making this happen!!!!

The park manager was very enthusastic about the placement of the cache and we spent about 2 hours talking. (I was the only one in the park, given the awful weather conditions this morning.) And we went out to the area where he wants the cache placed and discussed options for placing it.

It is great to see the DNR move beyond mere acceptance of geocaching to now they seem they are at the point of embracing it as a method to bring more people into the parks.

The park manager I dealt with was very well prepared, and for me this was a great experience. I am sure that it took a lot of work to get to this point, so I tip my hat to Esko and all the others who were involved in making this happen.

zuma
tesser
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks EskoClimber, MN State Parks, and all of you who have taken up the challenge! I look forward to seeking these caches! I have been an annual permit holder for over 10 years, and am 4 parks shy of hiking each one of them. Now I have even more incentive to finish the Hiking Club.
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the "thanks" but truthfully, it is all of you that should be taking a bow. This is a project that wouldn't get done without all of you and the State Parks.

Well done Folks!

More details will be coming as I look over the submission details so the caches get activated on the correct day.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are all the parks aware that the MnGCA members have volunteered for all the parks? I have stopped by my park a couple of times but no one has been there. I also saw this post from someone tonight on the Groundspeak forums.

"Hello...

I was approached recently by the commitee that is planning a new festival for a State Park in MN. They want me to hide a cache for the festival. I have a few ?'s for anyone who has experience placing state park caches or anyone who knows the rules and regulations better than I do.

First, are multi-caches permitted? And if so, do you need to submit and receive approval for each stage of the cache from the State Park manager? Not a big deal if I do, I just want to make sure I get the paperwork ritght the first time.

Secondly, is it possible to request that the cache not be published until the day of the festival, or possibley during the night before the festival? This is going to be a permanent cache, but we don't want anybody finding it before the actual festival starts. I figured if I had to, I could just hide the first stage of the multi the day of the event, but then I would have to put in the cache notes that it's not actually available until said date.

Any help would be apprecitated.

Thanks!"
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnesotabrad wrote:
I also saw this post from someone tonight on the Groundspeak forums.

"Hello...

I was approached recently by the commitee that is planning a new festival for a State Park in MN. They want me to hide a cache for the festival. I have a few ?'s for anyone who has experience placing state park caches or anyone who knows the rules and regulations better than I do.

First, are multi-caches permitted? And if so, do you need to submit and receive approval for each stage of the cache from the State Park manager? Not a big deal if I do, I just want to make sure I get the paperwork ritght the first time.

Secondly, is it possible to request that the cache not be published until the day of the festival, or possibley during the night before the festival? This is going to be a permanent cache, but we don't want anybody finding it before the actual festival starts. I figured if I had to, I could just hide the first stage of the multi the day of the event, but then I would have to put in the cache notes that it's not actually available until said date.

Any help would be apprecitated.

Thanks!"

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=188817

I (in addition to IB) suggested that the op contact Esko directly. The op is not on Esko's list of cachers on page 1, so he'll need to sort it all out. Smile
Bus&Betty
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got the Spring/Summer 2008 Minnesota Explorer paper last week in our daily Star Tribune. On page 8 is an article titled "Geocaching: A High-Tech Hunt for Minnesota History". It's all about the state parks challenge and includes quotes from a few cachers.

I did a quick search of the online site [www.exploreminnesota.com] but could not find the article to post a link.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnesotabrad wrote:
Are all the parks aware that the MnGCA members have volunteered for all the parks? I have stopped by my park a couple of times but no one has been there.

I too have left messages at my park. I know it's open year round because they have a tubing hill in the winter. Should I wait or is there a way to find out who to contact? All I could find on the DNR site is the phone number for the park, but not a contact name.

Thanks!
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus&Betty wrote:
We got the Spring/Summer 2008 Minnesota Explorer paper last week in our daily Star Tribune. On page 8 is an article titled "Geocaching: A High-Tech Hunt for Minnesota History". It's all about the state parks challenge and includes quotes from a few cachers.

I did a quick search of the online site [www.exploreminnesota.com] but could not find the article to post a link.

I think you were looking for http://www.exploreminnesota.com/story.aspx?EntityId=21175
TheCollector
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

met with my person today we talked and went out and picked a spot for the cache. good experience they seem interested in caching down there so this will be good. Thanks Esko and everyone for making this happen.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made contact and set appointment for Great Bluffs. Now just waiting for return call from Sakatah.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have an appointment to meet with the contact at Big Stone this weekend. She seems really excited about the project & wants to learn more about caching, a good sign!
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all, Wink

it was my understanding that the parks would be contacting us, did i miss read something along the way? Confused
just checking.

Peace,
Joboo
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My park manager (Savanna Portage) contacted me last week - will plan a visit in the next couple weeks - he wants to have the form in by April 7. Sounds like this has hit their radar screens.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joboo wrote:
Hello all, Wink

it was my understanding that the parks would be contacting us, did i miss read something along the way? Confused
just checking.

Peace,
Joboo

The manager of Big Stone Lake contacted me via email almost two weeks ago. I have not heard from the other park I signed up for. Maybe not all managers have this at the top of their list of things to do?
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thanks guys!!! Laughing
i was kind of freaking out there for a minute or two!!?? Rolling Eyes
maybe the further north the parks are the more time they figure they have, with the snow yet to be gone.
anyway, thanks again!!

Peace,
Joboo
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: