MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Isanti City Parks
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Isanti City Parks Reply with quote

I met with the Isanti City Parks and Rec board on Tuesday.
Isanti is now in the process of adopting a geocaching policy.

On the down side they have asked us to temporarily remove caches until they can draft a policy. It seems this is what to expect and a part of the process. Cachers that have placed caches in the city have temporarily disabled all geocaches with in city limits. Thanks to everyone for their support on that. I don't expect this process to take too long and I am actively working with them to expedite the process. The city seems very receptive.

Quote:
----- Forwarded Message ----
To: STEVEN MERKLING <>
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 8:52:33 AM
Subject: RE: Geo-caching

Thank you for being in attendance at the meeting, Steven. Staff will begin working on a policy and we will be checking in with you as we go along to find out your comments and views on the proposal. I have limited knowledge regarding geo-caching, so your assistance will be greatly appreciated. We look forward to working with you on this project.

Lisa M. Krause, AICP
City Planner
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What prompted this meeting?
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
What prompted this meeting?

<merkman the geocacher says:>
I did

I wanted to get an actual policy in place so that we are free and able to geocache in the City of Isanti legally. In the long run it will be good to get a policy in place. They are going to find out about it anyway, so why not control when they find out about? That way we don't start from behind the eight ball. It is better to be honest and open rather than wait until something happens and have it banned.

Geocaching is a Viable and Credible sport/hobby/obsession.
We don't need to hide in the shadows anymore.
</merkman the geocacher says:>
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't disagree more.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merkman wrote:
It is better to be honest and open rather than wait until something happens and have it banned.

But that is the current outcome, granted it MAY change in the future.

merkman wrote:
they have asked us to temporarily remove caches until they can draft a policy

Slient Bob wrote:
I can't disagree more

We as an association have promoted the wait and see approach as long as I've been a member; so I guess since Merkman is on the board if he wants to take a stab at one city/county and see how well it works to do things the other way, the "ask first" approach, I'm all for letting him try; I am interested in the results.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The membership voted on this issue and it was decided, by majority vote, to continue as is. No vote has been raised since and I do not support any such attempt as an individual geocacher and especially not as a Board member (which he wasn't in this particular instance).
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
The membership voted on this issue and it was decided, by majority vote, to continue as is.

Sorry, I missed that do you have the link?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merkman wrote:
Sorry, I missed that do you have the link?

Member's Only links follow:

Vote information: http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2241
Results: http://mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2632

6/10/06 Spring General Meeting Minutes wrote:
Ballots were returned and tallied:

On the question of How should the MnGCA go about contacting parks districts: 17 votes to 3 votes determined The MnGCA will contact parks districts that have policies already, those that contact us looking for a policy, or those that have raised concerns and have been referred to the MnGCA by others.

merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Member's Only links follow:

Ahh that explains it.
I was not a MnGCA member at the time of that post.

Sorry I'm just a NooB Very Happy
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merkman wrote:
Sorry I'm just a NooB Very Happy

Very Happy
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
so I guess since Merkman is on the board if he wants to take a stab at one city/county and see how well it works to do things the other way, the "ask first" approach, I'm all for letting him try; I am interested in the results.

Yes merkman is on the board (3rd person Laughing ) but just to be clear I didn't do this as a member of the board, my talks with the city started months ago, and the old board was notified before I initially contacted the City of Isanti.

I too am interested in the results.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be intersted in how long ago the oldest Isanti park system cache was hidden. I think if it has been going on without problems or concerns from the parks department it should be left alone. Don't go looking for trouble where there is no problems. She even states that she has limited knowledge of geocaching. Lets hope she get the information from you and does not talk people or groups who may be against it. The parks are paid for by taxpayers and are to be enjoyed by all, geocachers included. Just my two cents worth.
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think merkman did the right thing in Isanti.
The problem arises in knowing if the agency being contacted is receptive to geocaching. If that agency is willing to adopt a reasonable policy, then we should assist as much as possible.

I'm thinking that the more we can show agencies like Anoka County that geocaching is accepted in other areas with similar issues the better. This gives the more intractable agencies less reasons to ban caching.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EskoClimber wrote:
The problem arises in knowing if the agency being contacted is receptive to geocaching. If that agency is willing to adopt a reasonable policy, then we should assist as much as possible.

They weren't all that receptive to geocaching if they made geocachers yank caches during the time that a policy was developed.

A written policy is the last resort when a geocaching discussion occurs. We should not be treated any differently than any other park visitor and thus the rules and regulations that are already in place by the park system are more than adequate in all situations.

It's when that part of the negotiation fails that you agree to go with a policy.
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They weren't all that receptive to geocaching if they made geocachers yank caches during the time that a policy was developed.

I disagree. We need to look at the long term here. If we have a problem with a cache in an area without a policy it is more likely to end up as a ban with a long uphill battle to get geocaching reinstated.

A written policy is the last resort when a geocaching discussion occurs. We should not be treated any differently than any other park visitor and thus the rules and regulations that are already in place by the park system are more than adequate in all situations.

Arrow A written policy gives the agency an option short of resorting to banning geocaching completely (Anoka County).
Arrow A written policy should help us reinstate geocaching in other areas that have banned geocaching.
Arrow The fact of the matter is that geocaching does have its own issues seperate from other visitors, maintenance, volunteer trails, senstive areas, to name a few. We need to be receptive to the concerns of the parks.
It's when that part of the negotiation fails that you agree to go with a policy.

I disagree. The agency is trying to address their issues and give themselves options short of the banning geocaching completely from their system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: