MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midwest Invitational Geocaching Competition.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
Sorry I missed the sauced event - Jill wasn't feeling well. . .

JT - Is Tuesday or Thursday evening good to transfer the bike rack? If so what time?

All - Are FRS radios a good idea? Even if they are outlawed during the comp. they might still be handy when seperated.

I've got two small lanterns I could bring. We buying refreshments for the cooler on the way?

Chad
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

towlebooth wrote:
All - Are FRS radios a good idea? Even if they are outlawed during the comp. they might still be handy when seperated.

I have two cheaper two-ways that I could bring.

Quote:
We buying refreshments for the cooler on the way?

Whatever you guys want let me know and I will take care of it. I will already have bottled waters and a couple of cans of coke... Private message me any specific drink requests other than beer Wink

Bill
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the road, are we going to be doing multis? I've started looking at the caches that SB collected (thanks Bob!) and noticed several of them are of the type... go to this coordinate, get this info, go to next coordinat... I think these are fun caches to do but I think will chew up to much time for a trip like this. What do you guys think?
JT
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
On the road, are we going to be doing multis? I've started looking at the caches that SB collected (thanks Bob!) and noticed several of them are of the type... go to this coordinate, get this info, go to next coordinat... I think these are fun caches to do but I think will chew up to much time for a trip like this. What do you guys think?

I agree moe.... I hate to say it, but I would rather go out to 2 miles each sid e of the route than go for too many of the multi's... now if they are good ones... I dont mind doing them.... You know what I mean. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Oh come on you guys, just admit it! You want the BIG NUMBERS. I'll say it for you. "Skip the multis!" Laughing
JT
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.J. wrote:
Laughing Oh come on you guys, just admit it! You want the BIG NUMBERS. I'll say it for you. "Skip the multis!" Laughing

Sooo.. You working or not RJ????

Want to come with????? Price is right!
Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really like to go but am afraid it's not possible. I know you guys will have a blast and I'm jealous. Something like that doesn't happen everyday and it's cool that you guys are participating in it while it's near.
JT
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.J. wrote:
I would really like to go but am afraid it's not possible. I know you guys will have a blast and I'm jealous. Something like that doesn't happen everyday and it's cool that you guys are participating in it while it's near.

Ok.... You let us know... you have up until Friday at 4AM! Wink
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is really easy for me to eliminate any type of cache you want and to add a bigger radius around the route...

Bill
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've eliminated 9 caches from your list for being too long or too elaborate of puzzle/multi. That still leaves us with over 60 caches for the trip down. I think that is more than enough. It's going to be a long drive down there even if we weren't caching.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We dodged a bullet. Parts of Iowa got 10 inches of snow yesterday.
JT
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

towlebooth wrote:

JT - Is Tuesday or Thursday evening good to transfer the bike rack? If so what time?

I've got two small lanterns I could bring.

Chad

Lets do it Thursday night... anytime after 5 is good for me. I will have my Rhino so I will have FRS radio with me. Smile The shirts came today! so now I am really getting excited for the trip!

-JT
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you guys are watching the event cache or not so:

Robertlipe has asked some good questions, so I'll try to clear things up for
him and the other 'doofuses' that may be wondering the same thing.

A) Friday: registration will be at "the hotel" - which hotel?

This is meant for those that have NOT registered yet or sent in their money. The Super 8 motel is located in Farmington, MO, about 16 miles West of Hawn park. Those pre-registered will pick up everything at the registration tent Sat. morning. I'll add another note above with the important coordinates.

B) Friday night, 10-11: is this at the closest "cracker barrel" restaurant, or
is this at the coords listed?

I wondered the same thing since there is not a Cracker Barrel restaurant
around. Turns out is a scout activity where everyone sits around the
campfire/air conditioner and shares cheese, crackers, chips, soda, hot
chocolate, and war stories.

C) Can people that don't really want to compete but that do want to participate defer starting positions to those that do?

Not really, since all the competitors have been Pre-assigned starting times and the info (name, course, team, start time, etc) are printed on their punch cards. If you decide not to enter the competition at your designated time, just tell one of the officials and your 'time slot' will just be left open.

D) Will a location for the 7:00 birds-of-a-feather be published for those that prefer a shower/cocktail in their hotels after the course + 20 caches?

Say what? I assume you mean you want to freshen up before the Saturday evening festivities. Yes, I'll post the coords in the next log.

E) Are the Sunday courses different than the Saturday courses? (i.e. is Sunday for people that didn't complete the course on Sat and/or finish the geocaches on Sat, or is it a new set of caches/competition?)

Sunday will be completely different courses from Saturday for the A course, B course and Couples course. You MUST complete BOTH Sat. and Sun. morning courses and have all the correct waypoints punched on your card in order to qualify for a trophy. The combined times of both Saturday and Sunday courses will determine the winners. Team competition will take place ONLY on Saturday afternoon. After the last competitor of either the individual or team course leaves the start, everyone is welcome to pick up a course sheet and do the course at your leisure.

F) Is a location for the awards/door prizes set? Must you be present to "win"?

See above log for locations. Awards will be mailed/hand delivered as necessary. Door prizes, I assume, are a "must be present to win" thingie, but I may be wrong on that. We'll discuss that this weekend.

Yes, ticks have been found at Hawn last weekend and I just heard one of our St. Louis area cachers (Denali) has his first case of Poison Ivy. So those are words to the wise.

Forecast for the weekend of March 19-21:
Friday-Sunny and 65
Saturday-70 and partly sunny with evening showers (30%)
Sunday-50 with early morning showers turning sunny.
Missouri weather changes daily so take this with a grain of salt!

Get ready for a GREAT time!!!

Rich (RGS)
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JT (aka KC0QEG) wrote:

Lets do it Thursday night... anytime after 5 is good for me. I will have my Rhino so I will have FRS radio with me. Smile The shirts came today! so now I am really getting excited for the trip!

Thursday is great. Let's find a cache between us that neither of us have done. I work in St. Paul and leave work between 4 and 4:30 so I could come your way.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Important coordinates for the event and event caches:

You may want to pre-load these coordinates into your GPS's before the event to keep you oriented as you're dashing thru the woods.

Registration tent and parking-
N37 49.904 & W90 14.858

Main pavilion-this will be our "home base" where the meetings, awards, food and dining area, and major event activities will be held.
N37 49.789 & W90 13.887

Campground-Group and trailer camping and "Cracker Barrel" location.
N37 49.942 & W90 13.630

Park Office-
N37 50.250 & W90 14.044

Registration-Super 8 Motel in Farmington-
Will get coords and update here...

For those hunting the 21 caches hidden in the park, and the 2 existing caches, we will provide a packet with all the cache pages printed and a Park trail map with the waypoints marked.

This cache packet will be available after 9:30 AM on Saturday to anyone that wants to start hunting. We originally had it setup to make the packets
available at 2 PM but decided it would be nice for everyone to have the 2 full days to cache and explore the park.

Rich

---
I have included those waypoints here in a LOC so you don't have to manually enter... http://www.lazylightning.org/event.loc

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: