MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocket queries

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lizs
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Pocket queries Reply with quote

OK, I know I'm behind the times. Rolling Eyes I just ran my first ever pocket query last night. Voila! Wonderful! I ended up getting a 109K zipped file into my Yahoo e-mail account. Can't recall how many caches it included. It was a .gpx (or whatever) file. I hadn't been using that type of file and was happily surprised to see it placed little geocaching symbols on all the waypoints (which the .loc or whatever file didn't) on my Garmin Etrex Legend.

So... filled with glee Razz I went ahead to run some more pocket queries. I greatly increased the amount of cache numbers from the first time, up to 500. I have run this in slightly different variations for three or four times -- and have received nothing through on my Yahoo e-mail!

Here are things I selected in the query:
1. Run Saturday (later I switched it to Sunday, but no, there was no e-mail awaiting me)
2. Run it once and delete it
3. 500 caches (later trimmed back to 250 caches on Sunday - still no e-mail with my query!)
4. Selected types: traditional and earthcaches
5. That I A) haven't found; B) don't own; and C) are active
6. I chose nothing for terrain or difficulty
7. Within: None selected
8. From origin: Postal code, for which I listed my zip (I am south of Rochester)
9. Within radius: 150 miles
10. I did not select anything under "placed during" or the attributes area
11. Output: to this account's email (as noted, it's a yahoo address)
12. Use .gpx
13. compress into a Zip file

Each time I went to the preview page and there were a whole bunch of caches listed on multipe webpages (this is how I'd always downloaded coordinates before, by getting a list of all caches near a certain cache, and then taking that list and entering it - page by page by page - into Easy GPS for transfer)

OK, why I am I not getting the e-mail? I realize it says some programs pick these things up as supposed viruses. Do I need to try sending it to my home e-mail?

Or have I chosen too many things? Or things that conflict? I am wondering, in putting parameters of say 500 geocaches (or 250) over 150 miles - well, which parameter is the limiting factor? I would think it's the # of caches....

Help! Thanks! Very Happy
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you creating a new PQ entry each time or editing the one you just did?

I have moved this to Tech Talk and no, it's not the same as the PQ threads we have recently seen.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patience! If you make several PQ's in a day, the first one usually arrives quickly. After that, the others may take hours.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Are you creating a new PQ entry each time or editing the one you just did?

Yeah, each PQ only runs once a day so if you make changes to the same PQ, it won't run until tomorrow. If you make a new PQ, it will run, but you can only run 5 different PQs total per day.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you editing your original query or creating a new one each time?

Each query is only run once per day selected, even if you edited it. To make another query show up you'd need to create a whole new query, not just edit the original one which already ran.

Remember also that you are only able to run 5 queries per day.
lizs
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see...

I did the first one - Then went in and changed things and titled it something different. Didn't see anything come in my e-mail from that. At that point I may have edited things and not changed the title of it... but later I always did.

Musta tried it seven or eight times.

Have yet to see any more PQs in e-mail. Did try sending it to my home e-mail, also.

Also, I believe I had on them to run the query once and delete (although I may have missed it once in my re-editing and then calling the query something else, which would seem to be the same as a "save as" when using a template Word document for something else, at least that's the way I see that)

So if it was to run once and delete, then what?

Anyhoo... What's my next move here? Right now I am in a really bad mood - Nothing to do with you guys, but my Jeep had red spray paint on the door this a.m. and I am awaiting police. Got most of it off with soap and water (if police can't get their butts here, well, I understand getting the paint off before it dries is utmost important - especially to me! Only liability insurance on my beloved '88 Jeep Cherokee. Still have a lovely red doorhandle and reddish tan striping and paint to get off window and plastic... but I digress)

(oh yeah and am stuck here instead of being out doing something)

Thanks for the info you can only run 5 PQ a day.

Also, did my parameters otherwise sound OK on that request for the PQ?
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizs wrote:
I did the first one - Then went in and changed things and titled it something different. Didn't see anything come in my e-mail from that. At that point I may have edited things and not changed the title of it... but later I always did.

Changing the name doesn't make any difference. If the date in the far right column is today, it won't run again until tomorrow. I'm not sure about the parameters. Just click on the preview link to see if it's returning what you need/want.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As GP said, if the date in the right column is today's date then it won't run again today, no matter what you edit. If you set it to run once and then delete it then it will be gone in a day or two.

To get it to send you a pq via email as fast as possible you'd need to create a new one, not edit an existing one.

As for the parameters, if you're seeing what you want when you preview the pq then you're parameters are good - the email will contain all of (and only) the caches that you see in the preview.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: