MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Makes a Great Coin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: What Makes a Great Coin Reply with quote

This is more for those of you that actually buy geocoins, whether it is for collecting, resale profits or for circulation.

What do you look for that entices you to buy a coin and why?
elfdoctors
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what your goals are. Some "great" attributes are more likely to make your coin go missing (by collectors or thieves). I prefer that any coins I release to keep moving from cache to cache.
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the dozens I’ve bought, all but one has had ties to Minnesota. I’ve traded two, put a bunch out into the wild, saved a few, and given the rest away. I generally look for something suitable for use as an FTF prize, small gift, or stocking stuffer.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only collect coins that carry some significance to me. Whether it is a Organization coin such as MnGCA or MAGC or has some military significance. Other then that I generally don't buy coins just to buy coins.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of what I have is either MN related (that's why I really miss not having that loon coin) or patriotic. I love Minnesota. I've moved 35 times in my life and lived in 8 different states. I've always considered Minnesota home even though I wasn't born here. When we've been transferred, we've always tried to get moved back here.
I'm not a huge collector or anything and most of what I buy I release into the wild. I have a couple I'd like to trade off (not sure why I bought them) and a few I won't put out into the wild because I like them too much to risk them being stolen.
I have some racers (vw bugs) that I thought would be fun for the kids and I to race although 2 of them have already been stolen so we just released 2 vw bus replacements into my coin bank cache. If anyone has any MN related coins they'd like to trade or sell I'd be interested in hearing about them. You can check my profile to see what I already have if you want. I haven't activated my Ladyslipper coin or my mngca 2007 coins so you won't see those there.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are great, but what I want to know is, if you were to buy a coin, what makes a coin COOL enough to buy? I get the Minnesota theme as I do the same thing.
Very Happy
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you make a coin to sell it HAS to have a great design.
Something unique and original.

Nowa days it seems it has to be transparent colors, glitter, or glow in the dark.

What ever it is, make sure when you first show the design to some one who doesn’t cache or collect coins they say “WOW” I want one of those. If you don't get that reaction from non cachers save yourself the money and hassle and go back to the drawing board.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the coins I have bought because of the design

The laptop coin - cool at the time now hinges are getting old
The suncatcher coin - still cool today

This is a real cool coin in person.

I would buy this one.

I would buy this one
not so much for the design (eventhough it is good) but for the meaning behind it.

This one is cool
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The possibility of a coin that I may actually someday use, intrigued me enough to buy. I didn’t want to say anything yesterday, in case it enticed someone to bid against me. Very Happy

minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too like Minnesota themed coins. Would love to get my hands on a Walleye and Loon coin. Other than that it is what catches my eye. I like when peoples coins reflects a little something about themselves. I have Arcticabn's pathtag and would have purchased a coin if I was caching back then. I say make what you like and hope others do as well.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnesotabrad wrote:
I too like Minnesota themed coins. Would love to get my hands on a Walleye and Loon coin. Other than that it is what catches my eye. I like when peoples coins reflects a little something about themselves. I have Arcticabn's pathtag and would have purchased a coin if I was caching back then. I say make what you like and hope others do as well.

I MAY have an extra Walleye coin at home. I would have to check. I know I don't have any of the loon coins left.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
I MAY have an extra Walleye coin at home. I would have to check. I know I don't have any of the loon coins left.

I would be very happy to work on an arrangement.
Smiling duo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought a few coins, they definitely have to have some meaning to me. I bought a pair of POW/MIA coins, since I wore a MIA bracelet for over thirty years. We were in Yellowstone on 9/11, so that is the reason behind that and I love the Rome coin, since I've been there twice and would go back in a heartbeat. I had to get a CCCooper Agency coin, after I met and cached with her and then there are the coins with smiley faces on them - what can I say? I just wish that people wouldn't steal them and just keep them moving.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: