MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Selling MnGCA coins for profit?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merkman wrote:

EP Minnesota is looking for a MN Loon.

INDEED, I AM!!! Very Happy
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
if people sold their coin on eBay before they got a chance to.

The sale of these 2 coins are from my personal collection.
The sale has nothing to do with any role I currently or previously play(ed) in the MnGCA. It is just merkman the geocacher selling a coin on e-bay.
I am not acting as any role of the MnGCA only that merkman the geocacher will donate the profits to the MnGCA when the sale is over.
The coin design is not merkman the geocachers design. The coin design belongs to the MnGCA.

bflentje wrote:
I don't see how that can be any more tasteless than waiting. There are a zillion listings on eBay and no one seems to wait for my auctions to finish before listing similar items.

I don't think it is more tasteless than waiting.
You and everyone here are free to do what they want with items they have purchased.

The fact is it could very well affect the final price for that coin that is on E-bay now. (Simple supply and demand.)
Since the money for the coin that is on there now will be donated to the MnGCA, and if another sale of a 2007 LE MnGCA coin does affect the price, it will mean less money to the MnGCA. This is the last coin I have to donate to the MnGCA geonickel project so it could put that in jeopardy.

But in the end there is nothing that I can or should demand about others selling keeping or releasing coins they have purchased.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:

I think I'll probably be listing the following items:
- 5th Anniversary MN Cache Bash
- MN Showy Lady Slipper
- MNGCA Gold LE, both coins (I'll keep MO and standard issue coins)

bflentje wrote:

you might want to send Centris a e-mail to give her a heads up.

bflentje wrote:
- MN Showy Lady Slipper

These have been doing good on E-bay they average 25~35 each.

bflentje wrote:
- MNGCA Gold LE, both coins

Those should do good too
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
It is also my understanding that many coin collectors will buy two or three with the intention of selling all but one in order to recoup their money. Thus their collections costing them nothing in the end.

Very true.
If you look at the "big" traders/collectors (people with thousands of coins) Atlanta Gal, Avroair, and many others come to mind you see them buying and selling all the time on E-bay.
Many of them use that "trick"

What you don't want to do is sell a coin that was given to you, especially a mystery coin.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merkman wrote:

bflentje wrote:

you might want to send Centris a e-mail to give her a heads up.

Why, do you think she'll want to buy it back? At the Cache Bash I got the impression she was more than willing to sell me all of the extra coins she had left.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merkman wrote:
Arcticabn wrote:
It is also my understanding that many coin collectors will buy two or three with the intention of selling all but one in order to recoup their money. Thus their collections costing them nothing in the end.

Very true.
If you look at the "big" traders/collectors (people with thousands of coins) Atlanta Gal, Avroair, and many others come to mind you see them buying and selling all the time on E-bay.
Many of them use that "trick"

What you don't want to do is sell a coin that was given to you, especially a mystery coin.

-- wink wink
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Why, do you think she'll want to buy it back? At the Cache Bash I got the impression she was more than willing to sell me all of the extra coins she had left.

I am not sure. Laughing

She is a great person, it doesn’t take long to throw her a quick e-mail as a courtesy, I think she appreciates knowing about things like this before they happen.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
-- wink wink

But you can trade it to me. Laughing
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merkman wrote:
bflentje wrote:

I am not sure. Laughing

She is a great person, it doesn’t take long to throw her a quick e-mail as a courtesy, I think she appreciates knowing about things like this before they happen.

There's a good chance she's already aware.. I can't imagine her not still following these forums.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merkman wrote:
bflentje wrote:
-- wink wink

But you can trade it to me. Laughing

What would be your intentions if you had possession of you know what? And if we traded, I'd need commitment that anything I got in return would not cause me to be lambasted if I were to put it up for sale.

Maybe we should PM.. though my PM ALWAYS gives me security error.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="bflentje"]I'd need commitment that anything I got in return would not cause me to be lambasted if I were to put it up for sale.[quote]

mail the mystery coin placer on their geocaching account and let them know what you want to do.

Code:
Hey mystery coin placer,
I found your mystery coin #### in xxx cache. Joegeocacher has contacted me and would like to trade XXX for this coin. I don't want to trade unless you approve. Would this be OK?

Then keep the e-mail that they respond back to you with.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="merkman"][quote="bflentje"]I'd need commitment that anything I got in return would not cause me to be lambasted if I were to put it up for sale.
Quote:

mail the mystery coin placer on their geocaching account and let them know what you want to do.

Code:
Hey mystery coin placer,
I found your mystery coin #### in xxx cache. Joegeocacher has contacted me and would like to trade XXX for this coin. I don't want to trade unless you approve. Would this be OK?

Mystery coin placer doesn't care what coin you trade for the mystery coin. They just care that you are not trading money for it.

The question is, who owns the XXX coin you are trading for the mystery coin. They're the ones who might care if an XXX coin is sold on ebay. If the XXX coin was a trade-only coin, they usually will get upset if it's sold. If it was sold for money, they won't care.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="pfalstad"][quote="merkman"]
bflentje wrote:
I'd need commitment that anything I got in return would not cause me to be lambasted if I were to put it up for sale.
Quote:

Code:
Hey mystery coin placer,

Mystery coin placer doesn't care what coin you trade for the mystery coin. They just care that you are not trading money for it.

The question is, who owns the XXX coin you are trading for the mystery coin. They're the ones who might care if an XXX coin is sold on ebay. If the XXX coin was a trade-only coin, they usually will get upset if it's sold. If it was sold for money, they won't care.

If I trade coin XXX to Merkman for coin ZZZ, which is something Merkman purchased or otherwise OWNS, then Merkman would then take over responsibility of said XXX coin and coin ZZZ becomes Merkman's free will and mine to do as I please with.

So convoluted I am not even sure I buy into it... but the fact is, I have coin XXX and I do not collect coins. If I put it into circulation someone else is sure to pick it up and make the claim to it. Oh the dilemma...
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets let the masses decide.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=175327&st=611
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merkman wrote:
Lets let the masses decide.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=175327&st=611

Oh do I despise public opinion polls. On the national forums you'll get a 50-50 split and a bunch of hooligans harrassing you either way you decide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: