MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sunday Caching Social Club - Saint Cloud
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kurt Franke
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Sunday Caching Social Club - Saint Cloud Reply with quote

We have been talking about starting up a once/month caching group, meeting Sunday afternoon/evening. It would be patterened after the very successful WeekNIGHT Caching Crew out of the Cities.

WeekNIGHT Caching takes place in the Cities area every Wednesday nights. The group coordinates their activies in the Events forum. They pick a meeting place and a series of caches to attempt, as well as a post-cache gather spot. All are welcome to attend. It is a fun time.

The idea is to try to do something similar in the Saint Cloud area on a Sunday afternoon/evening. once/month. Perhaps the first Sunday of the month would be a good day. We could start our around 6pm, grab a couple caches and then a burger and a beverage.

What do you say? Is the 1st Sunday okay? If this happens should it move to the Events forum as well?

Just an idea.

Kurt
bigred_librarian
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Sunday Caching group Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea to try. I would like to see maybe a earlier start time. Maybe 3:00 or 4:00 to use some daylight, it would also get me home on a Sunday evening sooner to help with getting the kids ready for school the next day. Just a thought. Any Sunday would work, no preference for the time of the month.

BRL
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wake up at 4AM to get to work on Monday so the earlier start time would work better for me. It always seems I am one of the last ones yacking after an event so if the caching didn't start until 6PM it would be midnight before I made it back home. Laughing We could probably get more cachers to come up from the cities if it started earlier also.

This is just my POV. It should be set up so it works for the majority of people of course.
former hawkeye
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An earlier start time-would tempt me to come down once a while weather permitting. I would have an excuse to visit my best friend from high school too (I promised to take her caching sometime). Very Happy
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt,

I agree with the others. Earlier start times would probably get you some visitors from other areas. I would be tempted to make the drive if I knew that I would be able to get back early enough on Sunday night.

The name is great too. "SCSC" will make it easy for the log books also.

I am kind of surprised that this "caching social group" hasn't been adopted already by other areas as well. I think a well publicized group in the forums by (Rochester, St. Cloud, Duluth, and Fargo/Moorhead and or Grand Forks would be a huge success. Especially if they were to stagger the monthly Sundays so that others from out of town would have a new city to go to each weekend if their schedules and funds would permit. For example:

1st Sunday of the month - St. Cloud
2nd Sunday of the month - Rochester
3rd Sunday of the month - Fargo/Moorhead/Grand Forks
4th Sunday of the month - Duluth

If I was planning on heading to Duluth with my family for a weekend get away, you could bet that I would try and plan it on the 4th weekend of the month.

Just some thoughts (IMHO)
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Sunday Caching Social Club - Saint Cloud Reply with quote

Kurt Franke wrote:
What do you say? Is the 1st Sunday okay? If this happens should it move to the Events forum as well?

Yes set it up in the events forum for 4 Nov 2007.
That is the first weekend of deer hunting season so we might want to chase caches in town or where hunting is prohibited.
I could make it for the social hour afterwards on 4 Nov. We will be coming from Grand Rapids.
It can evolve as time goes by if adjustments to the start time or even day of the week are needed. But the big thing is to just do it.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGilby3 wrote:
For example:

1st Sunday of the month - St. Cloud
2nd Sunday of the month - Rochester
3rd Sunday of the month - Fargo/Moorhead/Grand Forks
4th Sunday of the month - Duluth

I was thinking of that too.

I live close enough to do St. Cloud and Duluth on a Sunday if it was early enough.

I would go to allot more weeknight caching to but when it starts at 7:30 on the south side of the city and I have an hour and a half drive home afterward it is real hard to wake up at 4AM the next day. Not to mention that 15+ hours to, from, and in the city is too much for a weeknight.

Dang, that statement makes me feel so old that I should know who Roy Rogers is.Laughing
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might even see postcaching instead of precaching!
TheCollector
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am forming my own group for a Duluth event/ group so if we want to work together on the Duluth one im willing to help
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If possible, I think this thread should be moved to the events page. Too many people will be missing out on the conversation at hand due to the "Central MN" category.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGilby3 wrote:
If possible, I think this thread should be moved to the events page. Too many people will be missing out on the conversation at hand due to the "Central MN" category.

We'd be happy to do so (at the request of Kurt as it's his thread). I mentioned to Kurt via PM earlier that the thread really fits in either category, so it's up to him.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCollector wrote:
I am forming my own group for a Duluth event/ group so if we want to work together on the Duluth one im willing to help

Set it up for once a month on a Sunday afternoon and I will come.
Not the same weekend as Breakfast Buddies or Kurts though.
Kurt Franke
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I am really impressed with all the conversation around this. The state wide aspect really appeal to me.

Please move this to Events forum if you would.

Kurt
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been giving this a lot of thought today, and I'm proposing a new aspect not brought up yet.

The first Sunday of every month be a statewide "Sunday Caching Social Club" day with different chapters around the state. All chapters would be responsible for picking their own caches, meeting times, food, etc... and they could post their chapter's info on a "Sunday Caching Social Club"(SCSC) link on the forum if possible. I envision 5 to 6 different areas participating, each with there own monthly thread in the "SCSC" link.

All cachers would be welcome to come and join in the fun, with or without having to reply. This would be a no cost situation. Come for the caching, or the restaurant, or both.

Local cachers would take the responsibilities of trading off monthly in picking the caches and planning the festivities. Similar to the weekNIGHT concept.

I think this would be great for getting cachers that belong to the MNGCA to be able to travel on a weekend to different parts of the state to meet new cachers, and have some fun finding caches in an area they might not otherwise visit. Having a set day across the state with unified dates and start times would allow for some long range scheduling and traveling.

Any thoughts???
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started a new thread for the Statewide aspect, so if you have any comments on that, please post them there.

This thread is for St.Cloud. Thanks Kurt!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: