MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

News Flash: 2008 Minnesota Sesquicentennial Parks plans
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da Bloodhound
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: News Flash: 2008 Minnesota Sesquicentennial Parks plans Reply with quote

In recent conversation with Free Scout (he is a department manager at DNR) the Parks group at DNR is showing great interest in a special sesqicentennial geocaching event to feature all 72 Minnesota State Parks for the summer of 2008. Event may also feature a special commemorative trackable geocoin to be given to those participating.

As this is in the very preliminary stages of planning more information will be forthcoming.

Sounds like a great time may be had by all. :D :D :D
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you're not asking for it, but I would love to volunteer to place one of these caches in Whitewater S.P.
Da Bloodhound
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paklid.

I think it would be a great idea to put together a resource list for those DNR Parks folks of active cachers residing close to those 72 parks. Perhaps one, or a small group, could volunteer to place and maintain a cache or caches in their respective park throughout the event for DNR/Parks.

If that sounds like a good idea maybe it could be passed on through Free Scout.

These activities are always thin on volunteers so the more the merrier.

Da Bloodhound
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in contact with the State Parks in reference to setting up the Geocaching challenge for the Minnesota State Parks. The plans have not been finalized yet but I will be attending a meeting sortly were the details will be worked out. That meeting has not been set. Yet.
When the everything is ready to go, the MnGCA will be setting up a sign up a list for those that want to place and maintain the caches.
There are a list of a least 5 details that need to be worked out.
    Where to place the cache (Park highlight?)
    How to verify?
    What are the rewards for completing all the parks?
    Who will supply the containers?
    What type of caches? (multi or traditional?)

Also, from the cache owner's POV,
    How often to check the cache to insure sufficient supplies are present in the container for verification purposes
    How quickly should a cache owner be to replace a missing container

These are just the highlights of what the MnGCA will be discussing at the up coming meeting. I do know that many of the State Parks are very enthusiastic about this and on the same note, some are not. Since this is coming from the Park Manager's Boss, they'll be with the program. So I'm hoping this will be a showcase for the positive aspects of geocaching as the program gets underway.
I believe that all the caches will be enabled on the 150 birthday of the state to give everybody an even start.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in placing one for this in LQP (Lac Qui Parle) State park if that's what they are looking for. Have been looking at doing this anyway. It's just that I haven't had the time with trying to get my garage up before the snow flies.

Last edited by loneeagle_24 on Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until plans firm up, I'm not going to start a sign up sheet.
HOWEVER, there will be one so that we don't get multiple requests to put "the" cache out.
Da Bloodhound
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Esco,
You might want to touch base with Free Scout on this project. I know you want to be lead dog but somone inside on a daily basis might be a good idea to have. A mole in the organization! LOL
DB
Da Bloodhound
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost forgot. The Sesquicenennial date for Minnesota for those wondering is: May 11, 2008
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Bloodhound wrote:
Hey Esco,
You might want to touch base with Free Scout on this project. I know you want to be lead dog but somone inside on a daily basis might be a good idea to have. A mole in the organization! LOL
DB

Esko is actually very involved in the project already. He is in close communication with one DNR official that is on the committee and is working with the committee as much as possible. In addition we have a couple of other members that are very close to the project...
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, had a conference call with the DNR yesterday. THings are moving forward. For everyones information we have at least 4 "moles" on the committee as it is. ANy help is appreciated of course. The big thing is to help this to keep moving forward.
The DNR is very much behind the project. I'm just trying to make things go smoothly. I'm assisting at this point on four different aspects of the project with other committee members.
There will be a sign up list for "sponsors" which is what the SP's are calling geocachers that would help place and maintain the caches.
Many of the Parks are hoping to put in more than geocache, some harder and some easier, to appeal to all levels of involvement.
We need to be aware that many of the parks have things they want to showcase and things they want to protect.
As I have actual news I will post it here but things are still in the planning stages.
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sesquetenial project is moving forward. This is the general outline.

One cache per park that will contain a history card about that park that will need to be presented to prove that a geocacher has actually been there. This cache will probably be a multi so the Park can move the container as volunteer trails develop.
Random geocoins placed throughout the Park system for cachers to move. There is some debate as to whether these coins would be activated with missions already attached or not.
Geocoins presented at different levels of completion.
Different geocoins presented for completing all the parks.

THe artwork is going to be done by the DNR and will be consistent with coins, cards, and cache container designations.

Thats all I have for now.
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EskoClimber wrote:
This cache will probably be a multi so the Park can move the container as volunteer trails develop.

Question Exclamation Question Exclamation Question
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfer Joe wrote:
EskoClimber wrote:
This cache will probably be a multi so the Park can move the container as volunteer trails develop.

Question Exclamation Question Exclamation Question

Question

Don't stop there. If there's a concern, either from your personal POV or as an approver, now would be the time.
proton
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, some of the park managers are concerned about heavy use and damage to trails. I hope they don't get the impression that they can move them on a daily bases or that the coordnates can change at a whim. Don't changes in coordnates need to be approved? Even on a multi?
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plan is not to change the finals location on a daily basis, only to change the final's location in the event it becomes necessary.
The new location would be submitted for approval as any other cache with the corresponding limitations (distance from original location<500 feet, etc).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: