MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Refinding a cache

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomslusher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Refinding a cache Reply with quote

Can a person refind a cache? I visited one I apparently found about a year ago. Everything looked familiar but I thought the cache was moved to a different place in the woods. I found I was wrong after I read the entire log when I got home. But experiementing with the website it allowed me to log a find again, although I deleted it later.

Now I don't care that much about the numbers, but after researching a bit, I see more than a few people have logged finds more than once.

Also, if the cache has been moved but is still in the same general area, can it be refound?

The cache in question is King Boreas' "Down in the Dumps" just south of Owatonna at a wayside rest. King, that cache hasn't been moved in the last year, has it? I guess you probably have no way of remembering that, with so many caches out there, huh?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Refinding a cache Reply with quote

tomslusher wrote:
Now I don't care that much about the numbers, but after researching a bit, I see more than a few people have logged finds more than once.

If you don't care about the number then what's the difference? My first cache was logged twice by one person. They found it the previous year on that day and to celebrate their "anniversary" came back to it again and relogged. So what? I thought it was actually kinda neat. Am I going to go around to each cache I did every month and relog? No. Would I repeat some cache visits a year or two later? Sure.

Geocaching is a fun thing to do. If someone wants to take it super seriously, that's great for them. If you just want to do it to enjoy the outdoors and the hunt then feel free to do that.

Just my worthless .02,
Silent Bob
LanceVE
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, in general, it's considered bad form, but like you said, there is no website block against it. It ends up being the cache owner's decision as to whether they want to delete the duplicate logs or not.

Sometimes cache owners will also specifically make note that a cache can be refound. Usually if there is some special circumstance which changes the hunt. Like myself.... My Midwestern Silicon cache started out (as my first cache placed) as a simple traditional cache. The location wasn't really suitable for winter caching, so I brought the cache in and disabled it for the winter. This spring, I replaced it & reactivated it, but now as a multicache in the same area. So I specifically stated on the cache page that it's OK for anybody who found the original cache last year to log the new multi-cache as a 'find'.

Usually otherwise, if you revist a cache (like to get a Travel Bug) I would say to just 'Post a Note'....

IMHO....
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that it's not that big of a deal and nobody really does it, at least I haven't noticed. It's a lot like the honor system. There's nothing really of value involved so why put blocks on it? My worthless two cents also.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've moved a number of caches, and usually put a new date on it, so it gets bumped up on the state page. I'll also add (new hide) to the title. Not many people will log it a second time, but that's what I'm trying to say: It's there for you to hunt.

This will happen a lot more in April, when the Ramsey andThree Rivers cache permits expire.

I have not moved the "Down in the Dumps" cache.

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
Jillibean
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably relog a cache if it was hidden somewhere else since I found it last, or for instance, log a cache event 17 times if I found 17 caches at that event.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: