MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

deleting "discovers"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SB's way or the highway. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes oops, more off topic chatter.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groundspeak can archive a cache if the owner does not abide by their guidelines. I just guessed that the same could be done for a TB. Anybody know?
Posen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am not seeing this clearly...and perhaps the problem is that I just don't care about the numbers...for if someone logged one of my travel bugs and didn't move it, I wouldn't care, as I'm not competing to have more TB moves than anyone else. If I was, I'd be all over squashing anyone using the GC.Com option of discovering a bug, since they are clearly called travel bugs.

But I would only delete their entry, or a log entry, if I was worried about numbers. I really am not.

...so if you all want to go on any of my cache sites and log a find without going out in the field, I really am okay with it. I don't have the time to check each computer log entry with each cache log page in the field. I started playing this 'cause it was fun, and we played together...not "Me" against "him."

Why can't we just grow up and hide toys in Tupperware like grown-ups?!?!

(FYI...while you can simply log any of my caches...some of them are kinda fun to find, and you may be missing out...) Sad
mrmnmikey
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posen wrote:

Why can't we just grow up and hide toys in Tupperware like grown-ups?!?!

I love it! You have a way with words!
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posen wrote:
...so if you all want to go on any of my cache sites and log a find without going out in the field, I really am okay with it.

the guidelines wrote:
The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
That Silent Bob sure can be pretty anal at times.
Posen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements."

true, but "appear bogus" is not as easy to prove...and travel bug discoveries hardly falls under appears bogus....

It really falls under "you aren't playing the way I want you to play" which, right or wrong, is not a game I would enjoy, since everyone plays differently and how do I know who wants their TBs moved but NOT discovered and who wants them Discovered or moved?

What could possibly be my motive for denying a person's "Discovery" unless I really didn't want them to boost their TB numbers? (like the trophies for that are so huge).

I could justify deleting off-topic logs or ones that give away a hide, but the TB screen allows people to log Discoveries....

To find a different "what-if?" ...what if I deleted every log that was a DNF...wouldn't go against anyones numbers...so what would be the harm? 'cept for the people that never would have tried for it if they knew the last 20 people DNF'd the hide..."No DNFs, my hides are awesome."

So while there's no rule for deleting Discoveries, it would seem that discoveries are well within the rules.

I know...someone once said "wake me up when they are called discovery bugs..."

Well then someone wake me up when it's called GeoDNFing 'cause that's what I do more often than not...and while I'm ranting, someone wake me up when it's called geo-not-cacheing for all the micro hides that cannot hold trinkets or something that's cached for the next finder...

but again...we all play it differently...some are perhaps more about the competition of the numbers...if that's all they care about I have a big number one for them right here!

(fuming) I have half a mind to not put body parts out in the woods anymore...

Wink
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic is really becoming a yawner for me. gc.com allows it. Who the heck cares?? At one time I thought I had the same position as SB but I never could explain why. I have since taken "what do I care" attitude about discovers. I've got other more important things to worry about.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if SB deletes DNF's on his caches...
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's enough of the personal attacks.

Let's keep this on topic please.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Posen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on topic:
It certainly is nice that they post on the page that "Discoveries will be deleted" so you aren't blind-sided by the deletion. It's not how I play, but seems like a good way for people who play with modified rules to let those rules be know up front. (like having your TB Goal attached to the TB...very helpful)
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the part about cache owners or TB owners can (and should) delete logs. That could be interesting.
NYSandy23
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the coins at the Cup of Joe event this weekend that was out for folks to look at, was classified by its owner as non-discoverable. He/she is busy deleting everyone's discover logs.

I guess that each person may choose to play the game any way they wish within the "rules", but it strikes me as a bit self defeating. If you don't want people to see your coins and perhaps follow them, then why release them? Keep them in a display in your home and allow access to only those you let into your house. If between caches they are shared in a bulk event before returning to a cache, what's the harm? And if you like to live vacariously by following someone's coins or TB's on its travels, again, what's the harm?

Seems people all "play" the game differently and some are less then tolerant of others who "play" differently then they do. Time to return to the sandbox and learn to play again. Wink
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, travel bugs (which includes coins) are meant to travel. By "discovering" the coin, it's not travel ling, but is sitting still. This is why I don't discover things myself - I either take them and move them or leave them where they are.

I can see the owner's point. I'm not sure I would take it to that extent, but I do see the point.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what the general feeling would be if someone created a cache, and wrote on the cache page "only people whos caching name starts with the letter "F" can log a find, all others will be deleted". Would that be tolerated? Just because you own the cache/coin/TB doesn't mean you can change the rules set forth by GS on who can and how to log it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
I wonder what the general feeling would be if someone created a cache, and wrote on the cache page "only people whos caching name starts with the letter "F" can log a find, all others will be deleted". Would that be tolerated? Just because you own the cache/coin/TB doesn't mean you can change the rules set forth by GS on who can and how to log it.

I think that example is different then the case at hand though. In this case, we have a coin that the owner states must move in order to log. Anyone can move it.

Try this example instead:

What if you have a cache that the owner says that anyone can find, but their log must state "TFTC" and nothing else (or it will be deleted). (As you probably know we already have such caches.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: