MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

deleting "discovers"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay then, mad props going way out to you eagleyes!

And in bringing this back on topic, Iíll just say this. Itís a game. We get to play it how we want. Delete if you want, or not. I have no problem with people discovering anything. Sometimes itís nice to know that your coin is still there. But myself, I donít understand anyone wanting sit down and to pour through an album of coins and writing down numbers to get icons that make your page load slower, all while there is a perfectly good caching event going on. But some people like to do that, and itís just fine by me.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
Since discovering a coin is a legal play in the game, deleting a discovery is a poser move.

I guess it depends if someone is a hypocrite and logs discovers or not (I don't and thus *any* TB I own (bug, coin, or future foo) will not allow discovers.

That is not a poser move. I win Wink
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
I guess it depends if someone is a hypocrite and logs discovers or not (I don't and thus *any* TB I own (bug, coin, or future foo) will not allow discovers.

Tell me this, because I'm not sure I see the difference, because GC allows discovers on coins, how is deleting a discovery on a coin different than deleting a log on a cache? If I find a cache and sign my name and log a find, how is that different from my finding a coin getting the number and logging the find (as a discovery). I see them as equivalent, let me know how you see them as being different. both are valid accepted moves according to GC so from where I'm sitting I don't see the difference. I think most people would be upset if they found the cache and logged it and the cache owner just deleted their log.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your point is valid sir_zman. They do allow Ďdiscoveriesí....so why should someoneís personal feelings on the matter say they canít claim them. Iím not sure thatís the reason they allow deleting them.
I know one thing, you arenít going to make too many friends by deleting posts. Iím not sure about bugs, but when I once deleted a double post on a cache find, it automatically sent an email to the poster telling them I deleted their post.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Groundspeak, cache listings and TBs are owned by the cacher and thus you are free to delete the logs as you see fit if you feel that the individual did not meet the requirements for logging that TB or cache.

*shrug*.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess just like caches can have logging requirements beyond just finding the cache, travel bugs owners can have rules for their travel bug too. As long as it states on the travel bug page (or even better on a tag attached to the travel bug) that discoveries are not allowed, the owner can do whatever they want.
mrmnmikey
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the members of this site wanted to promote geocaching. Deleting peoples logs seems to promote bad feelings IMO.
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just log the tb or coin out and then log it back in with an explanation of why you are not moving it - i.e. going in the opposite direction but want the owner to know it is still there, can't help fulfill the goal but once again lets the owner know the TB is still in existence. I like them on mine only so I know they are still out there and alive but I also understand why some don't/
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmnmikey wrote:
I thought the members of this site wanted to promote geocaching. Deleting peoples logs seems to promote bad feelings IMO.

Amen
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some members want to promote responsible geocaching.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to disagree or agree with SB...but...

I happy if somebody finds the time to write down my TB/COIN number and finds the time to log it online just to get a "stat"

I'm ok with a discover.

I'm wondering SB if you knew a little kid about 7 years old was just giddy to see your travel bug and wanted to log it but not move it because he/she didn't want to because didn't know where to put it....would you'd deny that???

I think you are forgetting that some people honestly and sincerely enjoyed seeing and logging your coins/tb's.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
I'm wondering SB if you knew a little kid about 7 years old was just giddy to see your travel bug and wanted to log it but not move it because he/she didn't want to because didn't know where to put it....would you'd deny that???

I think you are forgetting that some people honestly and sincerely enjoyed seeing and logging your coins/tb's.

Yes, it's not what a Travel Bug is supposed to do. Wake me up when they are renamed Discover Bugs.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another scenario. Finder logs discover. TB owner deletes log. Stubborn finder logs again. Stubborn TB owner deletes log again. Repeat repeatedly. It's the north-going Zax and the south-going Zax. Eventually Groundspeak would get wind of it, and my guess is that since discovers are considered legitimate logs they would dictate the log must be allowed or the TB would be archived. Who wins? Nobody.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:
Here's another scenario. Finder logs discover. TB owner deletes log. Stubborn finder logs again. Stubborn TB owner deletes log again. Repeat repeatedly. It's the north-going Zax and the south-going Zax. Eventually Groundspeak would get wind of it, and my guess is that since discovers are considered legitimate logs they would dictate the log must be allowed or the TB would be archived. Who wins? Nobody.

That wouldn't happen. TBs and cache logs, as I've noted above, are "owned" by the cache owner and Groundspeak won't get involved in the disputes between cachers.

You may delete logs as you see fit on your own items and I just don't see what the big deal is. The discussion is over. I'm removing this from my watchlist and will not reply again.
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
I'm removing this from my watchlist and will not reply again.

OK, first of all, isn't it kind of funny that some people get their knickers in a twist when people have the audacity to, gasp, log a travelbug without actually traveling with it!!! and some others are equally put out when, oh no, they're NOT ALLOWED by the "owner" to keep the log!!. Yikes, how rude!

Well, anyway....

I saw Silent Bob's note about "removing this from my watchlist and will not reply again" and had two thoughts:
1. Here's our chance to really rake Silent Bob over the coals. Any unsubstantiated gossip would be completely unseen by him. Too bad I don't have the imagination to make up something really juicy.

and

2. HEY, I didn't know you could ignore threads! I'm not sure I WANT to ignore a thread that I obviously recently posted to, but it kind of bugs me that it's possible to do so and I don't know how to do it.

Finally,
I enjoyed posting this clearly off topic and rambling reply that will defy a moderator's attempt to stick it in the correct place (though if SB accidentally looked at this thread again he'd probably suggest some place to stick it).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: