MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

deleting "discovers"
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: deleting "discovers" Reply with quote

I just found a coin that states on the page that "discovers" will be deleted- especially those coming from events because the coin was meant to move from cache to cache- interesting.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: deleting "discovers" Reply with quote

eagleyes wrote:
I just found a coin that states on the page that "discovers" will be deleted- especially those coming from events because the coin was meant to move from cache to cache- interesting.

I delete all discover logs on my last remaining TB. I don't believe in discovering bugs and thankfully I can control the activity on the TB I own.

TBs were meant to travel, not sit in a TB hotel in Maryland or Virginia for months after being 60 miles south of its goal for weeks.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a poser move to delete a "discover", if someone saw the coin and got the tracking number, they are playing the game the way the game was intended, otherwise they wouldn't have a discover option. I'd probably keep logging it or actually log the coin out. That would shut them up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
Seems like a poser move to delete a "discover", if someone saw the coin and got the tracking number, they are playing the game the way the game was intended, otherwise they wouldn't have a discover option. I'd probably keep logging it or actually log the coin out. That would shut them up.

They are NOT playing the game as it was intended. This was created (after geocaching.com disallowed "noting" on coins back in the day which is essentially the same thing as a discover -- you got credit for a TB even though you didn't move it) after they found the HUGE revenue stream that geocoins gave them, they brought the functionality back.

If anything is a poser move, it was that.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind Discovered logs because they are confirmation that the TB is in the cache or in possession of the last finder and not MIA.

Edited to add:

I will use the opportunity to say (not for the first time) that I dislike most so-called TB Hotels because they often have a "requirement" for cachers to take only as many travellers as they leave. TB's are meant to travel, and this has the effect of transforming a hotel into a jail. If you hide a large container that is easy to access (especially for out-of-towners) the bugs will come.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:

Edited to add:

I will use the opportunity to say (not for the first time) that I dislike most so-called TB Hotels because they often have a "requirement" for cachers to take only as many travellers as they leave. TB's are meant to travel, and this has the effect of transforming a hotel into a jail. If you hide a large container that is easy to access (especially for out-of-towners) the bugs will come.

That is of course if you follow the TB Hotel owners rules and not GC.com. At most all the hotel owner can do is delete your find log on the cache. The bugs do not belong to the hotel owner and therefore, they don't really get to state how they should be or should not be moved.

What I did like are TB Owners who don't write their specific missions on a bug and then after a long day or a trip you find out you took a bug in a totally wrong direction.

Last edited by Arcticabn on Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When away from home on long trips and happen upon a hotel, I usually empty them out and take "almost" all of the TBs. YES, I do move them along in case you're wondering. Did it twice this year.. once in Missouri and another in Texas.
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acutally, I have found a good use for the "discover"ed log entry for the TBs. When I go on road trips I often move alot of travel bugs. The problem is that I'm not as connected as some of my bretheren (PH, SB, etc.) and TBs get picked up that I have moved before I get a chance to log them.
Now, if somebody grabs a TB from me before I get a chance to log it, I just log the TB as discovered and mark when and where I dropped it. That way, the history is still there and I get credit for taking the effort of moving the travel bug.
For Example
However, I have to agree that finding a case of TBs at an event and discovering them strikes me as missing out on the spirit of TBs. After all, I think they're supposed to be moved. But this probably just me.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On long trips I've gotten into the habit of writing down the TB numbers and the cache that I put them in. If someone pulls them before I get it logged and hasn't placed it yet I will go ahead and log it into the cache and send the holder an e-mail telling them that they need to pull it out of the cache. I know this is how TB end up in caches where they are not logged in. But at least I tried.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:

They are NOT playing the game as it was intended. This was created (after geocaching.com disallowed "noting" on coins back in the day which is essentially the same thing as a discover -- you got credit for a TB even though you didn't move it) after they found the HUGE revenue stream that geocoins gave them, they brought the functionality back.

I agree that may be how it was originally intended, but it's not how it is currently intended. The current intention (per the discover option) is to allow people to log a find on a coin by simply seeing it and getting it's number. We all know you don't like or collect coins and you rightly don't collect or log them, but that doesn't mean that others should be prevented from playing the game the way the rules are currently setup. Since discovering a coin is a legal play in the game, deleting a discovery is a poser move.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like travel big hotels and I state on my bug's pages to keep my bugs out of them- but that doesn't always work. We do not like tbug hotels. Saying that I did get some good ideas from this discussion. Even though I don't like "discover" I don't delete them when they come in. But I never thought about emptying out Tbug hotels. We travel quite a bit and it would be very easy to take them all out of hotels and distribute them on our travels. I remember last year a guy in Texas wrote me that he was so happy I got his bug far away out of Texas. I am in the process of bringing my tbugs home if I can- I don't think I will send them out again- I do like it when they get to Europe- as they never go missing and the people are so good about moving them- we have one in Nambia right now- wonder how long that will take to get back to MN- My Swedish bug went from MN to Sweden and back (it took 4 years). The thrill of bugs has sort of gone for us - it was fun when there were just bugs- but now there are too many things being moved around and it isn't special any more- at least to us.
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad props to anyone who tells me what a poser move is. Very Happy
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poser -http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=poser
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dachebo wrote:
Mad props to anyone who tells me what a poser move is. Very Happy

I was wondering the same thing. But what's a Mad prop?
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand you have to say Mad Props (plural) not singular- when we taught high school I used to get all the latest from my students- but in retirement now I have to rely on the internet.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mad+props
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: