MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

you're either into caching, or you aren't.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irvingdog
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: you're either into caching, or you aren't. Reply with quote

I sell probably 3 GPSr's a day (how's the 76s Chad?). Every time (And I mean EVERY TIME) I sell one, I give out the URL's for mngca.org, and Geocaching.com, as well as a brief explaination. to date, I don't believe I've converted a single soul. Sad I may not cache as often as I'd like, but I still really love it, and I'm pretty sure my enthusiasm for it shows through, but, no takers.

So how about it? Anyone out there reading this get talked into caching from the guy who sold you the GPS? I'm NOT looking for thanks, just validation that I should continue to bang the drum for our hobby. More cachers=more caches. Not that Ian isn't doing a fine job of giving folks opportunities mind you..........
MrFixit246
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in the service industry and talk to a lot of people each day. I like to talk about geocaching. It's a nice nuetral subject people don't know about and many are very interested. I have converted at least 3 people.

One person does GPS work for an engineering company. He has to find benchmarks all the time. He never heard about Geocaching before. After talking to him for about 15 minutes and showing him my GPS, I keep one in the truck, and where the caches are he was real interested. He says he has a GPS that is accurate to 1 mm. Can you imagine how easy it is to find them wiht that one.

Other people hear about it then it comes up again in life and they remember about it and look into it more. That is how I got into it. someone mentioned it to me then about a month later I saw the website on the computer. Next I was hooked.

MrFixit246
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
drat19
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:56 pm    Post subject: Media validation Reply with quote

I also talk to people about Geocaching all the time. I've found that some people find it interesting, but find it hard to relate to on description alone. I often refer them to links to mainstream news articles to help them understand further. I've also found that when folks happen to see an article or news story on TV (or wherever) about it, they'll suddenly come back to me and say, "Hey, I heard a story about that thing you were telling me about, maybe now I'd like to check it out...".

I think people's first reaction is to scoff at the "geek factor" (which you can't deny), but then some come around when they see it's not just about geeks and in fact it's about all ages/demographics. A picture like this one ( http://img.groundspeak.com/cache/log/2092636_500.JPG ...from our Mississippi Cachers' Fall Picnic just the other week) goes a long way toward showing it's for "everyone".

-Dave R.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like treasure hunts. I reluctantly went medallion hunting with my wife and nieces/nephew/kids in the late '80's. I didn't grow up in Minnesota, didn't know many parks, and the clues meant nothing.

When I got a computer in '97, and discovered a Medallion Hunt forum, where people shared ideas, it became pretty much an obsession. I take 1-2 weeks vacation in the middle of winter, so I can go "hunting". There's a core group of about 25 who are good friends, and get together often throughout the year.

A treasure hunter is a treasure hunter, right? I've tried for 1-1/2 years to get some of them interested. I started travel bugs, patterned after their online persona, or avatar thinking that would be a lure. They understand geocaching, like following the travels of their "bugs" but have not been out looking for one yet.

I have one last effort, that seems to have a few of them fired up. I will have a series of caches called "Cooler Crew Chicks" (offended? sorry, they're not)

A cache will be placed in a park very near each of 5 women who are regulars in the forum. If the ladies are out in the park, the guys won't be far behind.

I have a forum that I set up, within the Coolew Crew forum:

http://peoplesforum.com/cgi-bin/forum?14@@.3eb4f48c

I'm pretty sure that you'll be able to read it all, but if you want to post, you'll have to register.

Oh yeah, because I liked hunting the medallion so much, when I heard about geocaching, and saw that some were close to home (even in June '01) I had to give it a try. In 27 months I've walked more miles in parks than in the previous 40 years.

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how often, when describing geocaching, do the people say, "So where does the money get involved...you know cash?" I was seeking approval for a cache at the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden earlier this year (no longer there-archived a while back) and the person I was talking to said, "So you want to put a cash machine in the Sculpture Garden?" That's when I just had to start over and break it down into real basic terms. The words "treasure hunting" is usually first out of my mouth when talking to someone new.
I've succesfully converted one person (they went out and actually bought a GPS after I took them out) and have been out with numerous people but non have kept at it.
I think that people fit into 3 catagories: 1) Intense geocaching desire!!! Let's go right now! 2) Yeah, that was a fun time...so what are we gonna do next time besides this, and 3) I'd rather make a lint ball from the spaces between my toes than walk around in the woods turning over bark.

That's my two cents.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to say two things on this topic.....

Just the other day I stopped an guy on a trail that had a GPS an asked him if he was caching.....I was amazed when he said no just has GPS for speed of walking and how far.
So I told him what I was talking about showed him how to enter cords and walked with him to a cache........I'm not sure if I converted him but I had fun talking and showing him how.

The other is how I got started....I saw the clip on the Travel channel....the next day I went to the site....I bought a GPS just for my first cache(how the heck I talked my wife into that one I still don't know) became hooked.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bunch of friends of mine think it's pointless.

That out of the way, the rest seem *really* interested at first, but never get into it much. I've taken a lot of people out caching, mostly because they ask, but they never come around to doing it themselves with a few exceptions. A friend who had an old GPSr started doing it on his own... did about 3 of them and hasn't done any since. Another friend and his roomie up in Duluth bought a unit jointly, used it about 20 times and now they don't cache at all. Another friend picked up a GPSr after caching with me a few times and has found 1 or 2 caches, and now it's been growing dust.

Granted, I cache probably about 15% as much as I used to do, but I still find it a lot of fun and a good way to get out.

Either way, as the subject says... I guess you're either into it or not.

-Aaron
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, my score is 1 "apparently hooked" (jordanh), 1 did three caches with his kid and then stopped, and 1 bought expensive mapping GPS and didn't do any caches at all. All of those are computer programmers, so the geek gene is present.

I have a couple "may try its" on the line right now. This past weekend we were up at scout camp and my kid and one other kid didn't want to go shooting or do the obstacle course (go figure!). The father of the other kid is an attorney who already owns a GPS. So anyway, we spent the afternoon hiding temporary caches and finding them. The kids would hide one for us two adults, then we would hide one for the kids. The kids really started getting devious on us -- the game became "stump the old men". They even used the technique that Brad J. used on the Moving 123 cache (but without letting the cache get away from them!). Anyway, we did about a dozen finds this way, and the attorney's kid wanted to keep doing more. So that one may be a convert -- we'll see.

I spoke to another father on the trip who had his GPS along, and he took down the geocaching.com web site URL. I had my laptop along on the trip, so I showed him the GpsDrive display with all the caches in the area. He seemed interested. He's a sales guy, but he uses Linux machines at home to host a few websites on a DSL line. So he's got a latent geek gene.
goucher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a month ago, my brother in law took me on my first cache in Monterey, CA and I couldn't wait to get home, buy my GPS and get started. I even thought this would be a great activity my husband and I could enjoy together Rolling Eyes as he is a hunter and loves the outdoors. He didn't understand what I was talking about, but we bought the GPS, and when I brought him with me he says "What is so fun about looking for peoples old s*** in the woods?"
I have taken some friends, my dad and my mom hoping for a convert and a geocaching buddy, but no luck. I am loving it. I miss getting outdoors as much as I used to before I had kids, and this is a fun "mini-adventure" break I can take in the middle of the day to get me out of the house.

Oh well, I guess it is not for everyone!
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only known convert was Moe - and he visited my website after learning about the sport from a mutual friend. But I do try and infect others.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: you're either into caching, or you aren't. Reply with quote

Irvingdog wrote:
I sell probably 3 GPSr's a day (how's the 76s Chad?). Every time (And I mean EVERY TIME) I sell one, I give out the URL's for mngca.org, and Geocaching.com, as well as a brief explaination. to date, I don't believe I've converted a single soul. Sad I may not cache as often as I'd like, but I still really love it, and I'm pretty sure my enthusiasm for it shows through, but, no takers.

So how about it? Anyone out there reading this get talked into caching from the guy who sold you the GPS? I'm NOT looking for thanks, just validation that I should continue to bang the drum for our hobby. More cachers=more caches. Not that Ian isn't doing a fine job of giving folks opportunities mind you..........

Thanks for all the plugs 'dog, I'm sure it's helping. Love the map76s!! It was great out West.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my only converts has been my wife, and we started geocaching together. When I first signed up in December of 2000, there were only two geocaches in Minnesota--Alvin's Phone Line way up nort somewhere (I left the "h" off intentionally), and Rebecca's Garden (long since archived). Around a year later, we were looking for something to do for entertainment, and I told her about geocaching. I revisited the site, saw that there were quite a few more caches in the state, and we went to 3 KB caches (he was still well under 50 hides in those days), and I've been hooked ever since. I've told co-workers and fellow Guardsmen, and they say it sounds neat, but they haven't tried it yet. I also told my mom and step-dad, who are teachers in California, and they're hooked--they've found a few caches where they live as well as placed a couple, and they also found one of my travel bugs that made it's way to California and took it with them on vacation to Alaska (where it got snatched up by someone who hasn't visited the website since and who no longer has a valid gc.com account). Anyhow, I'm suprized none of my Guard buddies have taken up the sport--I'm now in Military Intelligence, and there is a high geek quotient in that field.
whatsagps
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got into cachin after seeing an article..about the only time my GPS saw daylight was during hunting season. i'd use it to find my stand, mark shot distances, tell time. Then I saw somthing about geocaching and I was out soon after.....to date I think I have converted 3 people....I've taken 4 but the last didnt show much appreaciation..but that's ok...less people out there to bump into Wink The others all went out and bought GPSr's soon after..I warned them it was addicting..but they never listen Rolling Eyes
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatsagps wrote:
I warned them it was addicting..but they never listen Rolling Eyes

You should direct them to talk to RJ. He has over 400 finds and he's "Not Addicted". Wink

Silent Bob
murph
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started caching last summer and since then my daughter has gotten into it and I have an employee at work that wants to go out with me sometime. They are already set on buying a GPS before they even go out. If I could just get Garmin to send out the new GPSMap60cs I could get them out sooner but right now I am without.

murph
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: