MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

(Vent mode on) What makes Travel Bugs so difficult for some people to figure out? I launched this brand new bug, http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=45265, and it was promptly snatched up a month ago and still shows as being in the cache. (Vent mode off)
LanceVE
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, then go get the Go Getters who grabbed him....

Same thing happened to My Bug in November, when he was grabbed by either the 'LS Troopers' or the 'Labhunters' (depending on how you read the logs) who, when I contacted them claimed to be having computer problems.... That was in January....

I'm still waiting for someone to find him in a cache somewhere out west where he's been sitting because they never bothered to log him in....

</Vent-a-long>
pogopod
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Hopsai Harry does not have his act together. I always email them when I see something goofy with a bug. Nine times out of ten they go back and figure it out. Of course there are those out there who just like to mess with other peoples bugs too. No cure I know of for mean spirited folks, but the majority of the rest just need a little help.
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup yup yup..... I was down in that area gathering bugs for my trip and there are LOTS of messed up TBug logs and cache logs down in the Red Wing area. It was a very frustrating day to say the least.
Finding unlogged dropped bugs and going after unlogged/late logged bugs -- it's a mess.

I don't think it is done to be mean spirited..... I think there are just some cachers down there who are unaware of how to do it properly and/or in a timely manner. Some friendly geo-mail should solve the problem???

GoGetters also have Venue Bug taken July 12th from Memorial Park -- also not logged out
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent them a friendly geo-mail and haven't had any results yet--their profile shows that they do have one bug found, so I would assume they know how the system works. And it was their own cache that they grabbed Smokey Bear from, as well. As a side note, their cache is in a really busy location, and probably requires a bit of monitoring, and they haven't logged into GC.com since 25 July. I understand how we all grab bugs with the best intentions of placing them back into circulation soon, but sometimes things come up to prevent us from going caching as often as we like--I've been just as guilty as anyone else--but at least log the bug to take it off the cache page and put it in your possession so we can at least know where it is and isn't.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:56 am    Post subject: missing TBUGS Reply with quote

I have 2 missing now but am working with the people who last had contact with them- one excuse was they must have done something wrong in logging it-

Also, what I am finding is that when I do cache maintenance- theat when I read the logs, TBUGS were dropped off, and the people who logged the book after the TBUG was dropped off, that there is not anything in the logbook that says the TBUG was taken- and neither drop is recorded on the compter site nor does any notification get sent to me that a bug was dropped - strange!
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: I'm worried about releasing my own... Reply with quote

After all these horror stories and seeing the caches that list bugs w/o them, I am beginning to wonder why there is such an issue?

The first time I encountered a bug (and I was unfamiliar with them), I just waited to grab it until I had a better grasp of what I was supposed to do.

I have never held onto a bug for more than a couple days and have always tried to move it in a direction it was trying to go (instead of 1 mile down the road just to log a bug find).

How often do people have lost bugs, etc? My goal is to have it visit BGSU in Ohio, Cincinnati, OH and then Clarks Summit, PA. Think it is at all possible it will actually make it that far and then back?

Silent Bob
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: I'm worried about releasing my own... Reply with quote

Marsha&Bob wrote:
How often do people have lost bugs, etc?

I think we have all had lost TBugs or TBugs taken far from their goals. (I think Towlebooth holds the local record for highest percentage of bugs lost??)
Release your bug and assume that it might be lost or misdirected..... then when it reaches it's goal say.....Woo-Hoo!
Am I cynical? --- maybe

Most of us have lost and reincarnated TBugs -- it's just part of the game and you can't take it too seriously.

Out of my 27 bugs released, I have....
10 active
3 missing and not yet reincarnated Crying or Very sad
4 reincarnated (or cloned) and re-released
2 are personal TBugs I gave to friends
The rest are stalled or being held or possibly missing (I don't declare any of my bugs missing until 5-6 months stalled or a confirmed plunder - many of these may actually be MIA)

But we just keep releasing them and putting their fate to the winds..... it is an addicition, eh?

On a brighter note -- I have 3 TBugs who have made it past the one year anniversary mark, still active and traveling with their original tag and original item (shock!) My son Cool just got back one of his first TBugs that was out in the geo-world for 16 months, never made it to it's original goal, but it did come home safely! Woo-Hoo!

My advice to you to keep your TBug moving along, is to place specific instructions on a tag or an information sheet with your TBug, put it all inside a ziploc and write the name of the TBug and it's goal. Really, it does help to put as much information as possible with your bug (plus you need a geo-nickel Wink on there for good luck and safe journeys - LOL - ask anyone!)

Don't be worried about releasing your bugs, they are lots of fun to track, you get to see all sorts of different caches and "meet" interesting people! Just don't set your standard or your expectations so high that you get upset when things don't go *exactly* as you had hoped or expected, the adventure is part of the fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kleiner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, out of the 4 bugs that I have started there is only one left that may still be active, and it's in a cache that is so hard that no one is trying to get to it. And guess what, it's in North Carolina, so I guess there won't be too much activity until the hurricane dies. Shocked They still are fun to watch and track. Some of the very first ones that I found have been to some amazing places in the world. It's all fun, Eh! JK
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

14 launched so far, and 5 in the graveyard, and I think the one that prompted me to start this thread might join them. They did finally log the bug into their possession, and it hasn't done anything since. I can understand going to a cache and seeing your first bug and having some ignorance as to what needs to be done, but going to your own cache to grab a bug that shows up, and then holding the poor thing hostage for months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????????
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the typical email I send people when they've had one of my or Perrine's bugs for quite a while--
Quote:
Hi--in reference to my wife's TRAVEL bug, Koochie-Koochie-Koo--it's web page shows that you picked it up nearly a year ago, and it hasn't TRAVELLED since. I understand that things come up to prevent us from geocaching as often as we like, and that is probably why you still have this travel bug. We would just like to know the status of the bug, and would like to know if you intend to place it in a cache soon. Also, if you have no intention of placing the bug in a cache so it can continue to travel, I will be happy to send you my snail-mail address so you can send it back to me so I can get it moving again. Thank you for your attention--15Tango

Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after some hard work....ok alot of LUCK I found email for somebody today and got them to log a but that they have had for a few days.....WE R NUTS...that bug was Driving me nuts.......

Last edited by Kitch on Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
....I got skunked

Welcome to my world!!!
Take how many times you have been skunked for 50 bugs and multiply it for 600 bugs...... it is part of the game (grin)

I really don't mind being skunked fair and square and I usually get a good laugh out of it when I see who it was, but when you get skunked by a non-logger or bug-napper it is VERY frustrating.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centris wrote:
Welcome to my world!!!

Really I get to 50 and I'm in your World....wow...yes yes yes ...my 15 mins. of fame is here!!!
PeakShift
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch- Ive read all about your problems on the cache page @ gc.com.
TMI, in my opinion. I feel you should use a private email to deal with someone you are not happy with. Its a courtesy some might expect before being ripped publicly on the cache page-

Kitch has logged a cache on your watch list (Reservoir Woods Bug
Hotel). You can visit the cache at the following link:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=65289
http://mcgerik.com/scott/archives/geocaching_mon_15_sep_2003.php

So this person was online that day, and posted something else rather than log his visit? I understand your frustration with the situation, but I feel that its nasty to post all your problems to the GC.com cache page.

Forums like this board are a more appropriate place to post your concerns, gripes or to blow of steam., etc. Or also the GC.com forum, etc. I think its a more appropriate forum of discussion than a cache page post. In the end, it was what, 4 days before he posted the TB grab?
Theres always another day, right? Im sure a new bug will appear soon, and you can return again to claim glorious #50.

Most people use GC.com, but not so many use the Forums. Some people, especially new comers could get a bad impression of geo caching - or worse yet, give you a bad reputation among other geo-cachers. People who visit the Forums can read more into a topic that is posted- (as I have done here) and give thier opinions as they feel appropriate. But not all cachers are Forum readers, and may like to avoid this type of thing altogether.

This is purely my opinion, and I do NOT claim to be an expert- but
Freindliness, repect, common courtesy - call it whatever you like
should be something people can expect from fellow geocachers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: