MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geocache Rating System (beta)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!

Any though of making it a 'call back' image? Like the geochecker shows the number of attempted guesses and correct guesses... you could show the current rating(s), average, etc and have a 'click to rate this cache' note.

I know some people are lazy and wont kick to see what the rating is, but if they can see it (what? "this is a average of a 4, it's barely a 2!" or "how can this be a 2.5, it's at least a 4"). It will generate more bandwidth than you may want since it will be loaded each time someone views the page, but I'd think it would increase the usage.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Your result screen should show the scale too. Ie. is a 5 good or bad? The numbers on the screen are just relative without the what they mean.

Scale will be added, along with a handful of other enhancements.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

msteffel wrote:
Sweet!

Any though of making it a 'call back' image? Like the geochecker shows the number of attempted guesses and correct guesses... you could show the current rating(s), average, etc and have a 'click to rate this cache' note.

I know some people are lazy and wont kick to see what the rating is, but if they can see it (what? "this is a average of a 4, it's barely a 2!" or "how can this be a 2.5, it's at least a 4"). It will generate more bandwidth than you may want since it will be loaded each time someone views the page, but I'd think it would increase the usage.

Yes, that is on the list. But I don't have any experience designing "callback" images so it will be something to learn.
--
Tinkered around. Technology seems straight forward and will soon add custom image option.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
msteffel wrote:
Sweet!

Yes, that is on the list. But I don't have any experience designing "callback" images so it will be something to learn.
--
Tinkered around. Technology seems straight forward and will soon add custom image option.

Here it is in action..

Halloween 2007: Rest in piece
mrmnmikey
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the link hard to find. I actually missed it the 1st time I read the page and had to really look the 2nd time to find it. Can you make it more like a "radio" button wher the outside boarder changes or something when you mouse over it? Just a suggestion.
zuma!
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Excellent Reply with quote

This is an excellent idea. I like that you put it on a 1 - 5 scale that should be familiar to folks with the terrain/difficulty scale. I hope this idea catchs on, and that eventually it becomes part of the way gc.com lists caches.

Thanks a lot for making this available to try out.

zuma
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmnmikey wrote:
I found the link hard to find. I actually missed it the 1st time I read the page and had to really look the 2nd time to find it. Can you make it more like a "radio" button wher the outside boarder changes or something when you mouse over it? Just a suggestion.

I don't know if an HTML listing allows for scripting. I'll certainly take a look at it. I did add the image rather than a text based link. But each cache listing that uses it will have to rebuilt the link in order for you to see it.
msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:

Here it is in action..

Dang, that was fast! Looking good! (Now I just have to place a cache so I can use it Wink )
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New page with all listed caches.

http://www.ratethiscache.com/survey_list.asp
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:

Everything after Rubbertoe's Swimming Hole displays this message:

Survey record not found.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
bflentje wrote:

Survey record not found.

Because they haven't been rated yet.

I supose he could remove the link if the number of ratings = 0?
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merkman wrote:
GeoPierce wrote:
bflentje wrote:

Survey record not found.

Because they haven't been rated yet.

I supose he could remove the link if the number of ratings = 0?

Or display a page with the form to rate it?
msrubble
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two comments:

"Contact us" just brings up the index page.

It's too wide on my monitor. Even at full screen, there's a horizontal scrollbar.
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocache Rating System (beta) Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
I've been tinkering with a new website that let's you put your geocaches up for public scrutiny, to be rated by the general public. You've heard of geochecker.com. Well, this is similar in its simplicity.

www.ratethiscache.com

Feel free to give it a try. Not exactly sure how far I'll take the website. I guess it depends on what kind of use it gets.

BFlentje,

This is really neat. I've always thought a database of cache ratings would help enhance the sport. This is a positive step towards that.

I know that the Swedish Geocaching team have had a system like this in place for a bit and it seems to work really well.

Links to their system:
Sortable ranking of caches.
Example of cache with the link to the ratings.
The rating page for a cache.

Unfortunately all their pages are in Swedish.

I liked how they simplified the process by allowing any user to rate any cache whether or not the cache owner had registered it. This way you get a wider selection of caches in the list rankings. I also liked how they split the vote into four categories. I'll try to translate their different categories and their description.
Environment: With environment means the surroundings/nature near a cache. For example a great view would rank high here.
Placement: This means the hide location. Is it a mugglesafe location, is it a clever hide. For example an inappropriately hidden cache would rank low here.
Idea: This means if the cache is noteworthy in any way through for example style, theme, originality.
Appearance: As opposed to the idea, this refers to the physical attributes of a cache. The type of container, the type of camoflauge.

Please pardon my rough translation, but it might give you some ideas.

-Jonas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: