MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hiding, Hiking and High Tech (book)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: Hiding, Hiking and High Tech (book) Reply with quote

Browsing Amazon this morning and came across this.....

Geocaching: Hiding, Hiking and High Tech by Erik Sherman (is this the same ~erik~ that is the geo-admin??)
I'm not recommending it or buying it or anything, just thought it was interesting to find ........ wonder how biased it is? (ie virtuals, locationless caches, navicache, etc)

Review copied off of Amazon......   

List Price:   $19.99
* Paperback: 256 pages
* Publisher: APress; (December 5, 2003)

Editorial Reviews
"GeoCaching: Hiding, Hiking and High Tech" is a guide to the relatively new, and exponentially growing, activity of geocaching. It is a treasure hunting game using handheld GPS (global positioning system) receivers that is now played world-wide. Although invented in May of 2000, there are already hundreds of thousands of people who participate, and that number continues to rapidly grow. "GeoCaching: Hiding, Hiking and High Tech" covers not only the fundamental principles and points of geocaching, but also covers such related topics as wilderness navigation, hiking, and outdoor safety. The reason to buy this book is that it combines "how to" information -- the necessary technical background in GPS, navigation, and hiking, along with some history of the geocaching activity as well as some narrative spots that give readers a sense of why they should get involved. The person who expressed interest in being the technical editor is well regarded in geocaching circles and highly knowledgeable and will ensure that the information is as directed to practical use as possible. This book is a comprehensive guide to geocaching, a leisure activity using GPS technology for a high tech treasure hunt game. It is the only book out on something that has been growing at exponential rates since its introduction in 2000 and that has received wide coverage on television, on radio, and in newspapers and magazines. It is particularly popular with extreme sports and high tech aficionados.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: jumping the gun Reply with quote

HOLD THIS THOUGHT FOR A WHILE! (i've updated this message, new details added at the end.)

i'm not sure i'm ready to run out and buy a copy, but i've requested that hennepin county library carry this book. you can too, using this address:

http://www.hclib.org/pub/search/RefFormItemRequest.cfm

at that address you can recommend the library obtain it when available, or purchase it, with the difference being that an obtained book would come from another library system. since it's a new book other libraries aren't likely to have, either, i recommended that hennepin county libraries purchase it.

i imagine residents of other library systems in the metro could make similar requests online.

here's the response i received this afternoon in my request for the book:

According to the publisher Apress, the title you requested has not yet been published. Thus, we are unable to put your name on a waiting list at this time.

Please feel free to inquire about this title again after December 2003.

i overlooked the publication date noted above in the centris post, so i didn't realize the book is not yet available. i'm not sure why the library wants a new request after the book is published, but que sera sera.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: