MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting caching experience today!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Interesting caching experience today! Reply with quote

Anyone been to GCH7TG "I Don't Know" in Plymouth recently? Check out my log for what I found today - I *hope* I did the right thing, it just didn't look right to me. Y'all let me know if I broke a major geocaching rule by taking the cache, I just figured better safe than sorry. Regards,

-Ken

Click me!
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting find though Smile
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting caching experience today! Reply with quote

fsu*noles wrote:
Anyone been to GCH7TG "I Don't Know" in Plymouth recently? Check out my log for what I found today - I *hope* I did the right thing, it just didn't look right to me. Y'all let me know if I broke a major geocaching rule by taking the cache, I just figured better safe than sorry. Regards,

You should email the owner immediately and let him know so that he can disable the cache. Then you can return the cache and its contents to him.

Silent Bob
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, thanks, right after writing the log I fired off an e-mail to the owner letting him know what I found. I'm just waiting for someone here to tell me that's what it's SUPPOSED to look like, it's been one of those kind of days!! Embarassed Thanks,

-Ken
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall that's pretty much how the tree looked back in November but the cache wasn't laying on the ground.
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tree was like that originally, but like Moe said, the cache wasn't on the ground.

I think next time it would be OK to leave the cache there, where you think a fellow geocacher would most likely look for it, and then contact the cache owner and make them do some maintainence on it. Just my rambling thoughts tho. Smile
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.J. wrote:
I think next time it would be OK to leave the cache there, where you think a fellow geocacher would most likely look for it, and then contact the cache owner and make them do some maintainence on it. Just my rambling thoughts tho. Smile

Yeah, like you did out in WI on that cache that was a matchstick container in a tree. Nice re-hide on that one Wink

Silent Bob
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww crap, doesn't that just figure? Another reason I took it was because the film cannister wasn't attached to the bark any more - there's a bunch of glue on the can, and there was a bunch of glue on a piece of bark, but it sure appeared like things went drastically wrong with the cache. <sigh>

At any rate, I haven't heard back from the cache owner yet, he's pr'bly madder than heck, but I'll make it up to him when he contacts me. Thanks!! Embarassed

-Ken
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a little late to note that this thread contains spoilers, but for the record....

when i found the cache in december, fsu, i found it much like you did, exposed. while the container was still attached to a piece of wood, it was barely hanging on. i let lourem know about it, and he temporarily disabled it until he could perform cache maintenance.

i was disappointed by the way i found the cache, since the hide, as it is intended, was quite clever.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup ..big spoilers all over the place on this one....oh well...I need an easy one every now and again.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
yup ..big spoilers all over the place on this one....oh well...I need an easy one every now and again.

Nah, you just need a lot of help Wink
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I still feel bad 'bout it, but I finally did get an e-mail back from the cache owner - he did report that I found it mostly like it's supposed to look, except the cache was definitely separated from it's cammo holder. He said was going to archive the cache anyway because it's been "troublesome".

I'm going to get the logs back to him, and find some way to make it up to him - I'm still kicking around ideas for my first cache placement, for sure I'll try to put one here to atone for my misdeeds. Ack!!

-Ken
LanceVE
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: On the Other Hand... Reply with quote

Well,

It just so happens I can talok about the flip side of the coin on this one....
The first stage micro cache of my Midwestern Silicon was hidden on the end of a chain hanging down into a standing hollow tree.

At some point the tree blew down.
People kept finding and logging the cache.... No mention of the first stage now being sitting out in plain sight for 2 months or so.

Silly me. I figured that if I was going to have problems, it would be the ammo box dissapearing. If the 1st stage was in trouble, I figured I would get a email or a DNF. I'm glad that Michelleandtheboys let me know....

Anyway, after now having taken the long way to saying: "If it were my cache..."

I think you really only had two choices, since the container was in plain sight: 1. Do what you did, or 2. Try to re-hide it in some way close to the original location, and then email the owner (as you did for #1).

Some people might gripe, but for me, either way would have gotten you a "Thanks for letting me know"...

Smile Happy Caching.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: