MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

September 2007 - Cache of the Month Nominees

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: September 2007 - Cache of the Month Nominees Reply with quote

The nominated caches for September 2007 are:

GCQMR8 - Plowline Trail #1 - Plowline Bust by 83pony
Nominated by TheLoneCacher
I'd like to nominate the Plow Line Trail set of caches, by 83Pony. This is an awesome trail with 12 geocaches planted strategically along it. The trail meanders through forest and meadow, past panoramic vistas, fields and meadows of wildflowers, and luscious berries (in season). This is a 4-season trail, though some of the hides may be more challenging when the snow flies.

Many of the hides themselves are also unique in the type of container used; 83Pony has devised some really creative cache containers that also make the trail a unique challenge. He also hid them at various elevations, i.e. not all hides are on the ground under various forms of cover.

Though at times the GPS indicates that the cache lies in a direction that requires intense bushwacking, if one just ignores that impulse and continues along the trail it will wind around and get to the desired waypoint without undue excess walking. In other words, no walking 2 miles of trail to reach a waypoint that is 500 ft. away it takes truly only a few more minutes to take the "long way" and is actually faster than the "short-cut" of bushwacking.

This series starts with GCQMR8 and concludes with GC13A8J. It's an awesome geocaching experience.

Links to all stages:
GCQMR8 - Plowline Trail #1 - Plowline Bust
GC1387P - Plowline Trail #2 - On Stolen Pond
GC1389J - Plowline Trail #3 - By the Side of the Road
GC139JV - Plowline Trail #4 - Beside What?
GC139N0 - Plowline Trail #5 - House with a Good View
GC139R3 - Plowline Trail #6 - Half-Way Done
GC139RX - Plowline Trail #7 - View of Stockton Valley
GC139TK - Plowline Trail #8 - Barkin' up the Right Tree
GC13A7W - Plowline Trail #9 - Shoo Fly, Don't Bother Me
GC13AY5 - Plowline Trail #10 - Not a Normal Block of Wood
GC13A89 - Plowline Trail #11 - In the Birch Grove
GC13A8J - Plowline Trail #12 - What a Hole!

GC12VTX - 5 Digits 2 Float Your Boats by IBcrashen, Gonsolo & Roxy
Nominated by laker2
I would like to nominate "5 Digits 2 Float Your Boats" by IBcrashen as COTM. This cache has something for everyone. It is both puzzle and multi. But also at the various stages there are some interesting "challenges" to test one's manual dexterity and mental ingenuity. All of this is after you solve the initial puzzle.

To top everything off, it is located within a very pretty area of Duluth far from crowds. As I said in the cache log, you do not find this cache, you experience. It's fantastic.

The vote will not start until September 24th to allow everyone time to find the nominated caches. Also, please feel free to post reviews or thoughts on the nominated caches in this thread if you have found them.

To nominate caches for October, just email me at gps@july15.com or PM me here.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from Duluth having a great time caching with great hikes and caches. I have one that really stood out. I hear that it is a first time cache for the owner but I think that they hit a homerun on it. It is "Watch For Falling Rocks" http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=565269b5-6e2f-479b-9a46-6be4ad5ff50
GC13X1C
It is not too far from downtown Duluth. You have to work a little to get to it but it is worth it. You start by hiking along the shore where on windy days the shore would be a place where you could get wet feet. You are walking at the base of a cliff that sometimes seems to be leaning over you. Try to take your time and skip some stones and watch an ore boat go by.
When you get to the GZ it is just a plain good hide, well done with a bit of deception.
Well done on a first try Mystery Cheetahs !

Sorry about the URL but I was not sure how to do that.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: September 2007 - Cache of the Month Nominees Reply with quote

Quote:

I haven't met an IBCrashen & GonSolo cache I didn't like. This cache is no exception. The cache is full of unique twists that only IBC and GS seem to come up with (for northern MN anyway).
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
Quote:
Sorry about the URL but I was not sure how to do that.

GC13X1C

If you mouse-over the URL box, it gives instructions, then preview before you post...good luck!
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
I just got back from Duluth having a great time caching with great hikes and caches. I have one that really stood out.... GC13X1C....

Andrewmcc,

I've added GC13X1C to the list of nominated caches for October.

-Jonas
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I was not sure what the protocol is. Where can I find it?
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on top of the post reply page.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, not what I meant. Where do I find the rules for submitting nominations, dates, qualifications etc.
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
Sorry, not what I meant. Where do I find the rules for submitting nominations, dates, qualifications etc.

The original specifications for the CotM are listed here.
There have been minor tweaks over the years, one change was the dates for nomination. Those are listed here.

I hope this helps.

-Jonas
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Here is a cache with several twists and turns. It is incredible the amount of effort and time that has gone into this cache and it shows.
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 Digits to 2 Float Your Boats is an incredible IB cache, and I'm glad to see it nominated here. It's a cache that you invest in, and has brilliant twists and turns (brilliant in retrospect, you think other things when you're actually looking for it...).

I'll confess to breaking down and grabbing my cell phone at one point, to talk to someone - anyone - "you won't believe what I'm looking at"; my son proved to be a little more perceptive than I was. It's an awesome cache and an experience.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghost640 wrote:
(brilliant in retrospect, you think other things when you're actually looking for it...).

ROFL, I know exactly what you mean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: