MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

August 2007 Cache of the Month - VOTE HERE
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which cache should be the August 2007 Cache of the Month?
Cannon River Bend
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
Mastermind
70%
 70%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 17

bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
Wow. Where did that come from? I was going to vote for it...

It's amazing how many pots we have calling the kettle black. Apparently everyone else in this forum is allowed to call someone on the carpet but me?? Rolling Eyes See my other posts above.. sounds like you missed them.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't we all just get along. Sounds like I need to go do some caching and get away from the forums for a few days.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

msteffel wrote:
I probably shouldn't comment, but my $.02

Even though I nominated Mastermind I decided NOT to vote as due to other factors in my life I wasn't able to do the Cannon River Bend - yet. I have added it to my list of caches 'to do' and that's, personally, how I use the COTM lists: to find out what caches are really worth visiting, especially those that are 'out of town' for me so I can make sure I'm getting the most 'bang for my caching buck'. Smile

However, I did look into both caches as much as I could... I read the logs to see how much people liked them (& laughed at the 'trash talk' in there), look at the lists that they've made, checked out the picture on Cannon River Bend, read chadknows post (who I don't know from Adam) who visited both in which he thought it was a coin flip. Given all that, I could see how people who haven't visited one (or neither), if they decided to vote (which I believe is ok with the current rules), could vote one way or the other depending their interest and what they put more stock in.

With any type of vote there is usually some 'popularity' contest that plays some factor whether concious or subconcious. Especially if it's a close call. Heck, I was worried that a nomination from a nobody (no cache hides, just recently joined the MnGCA) might hurt Mastermind's chances.

Votes could have been made on what people who went to both caches thought, number of lists made, if they like puzzles or not, if they like kayaking/canoeing or not, how much people seemed to like the cache in the logs, the write up in the COTM, the cache owner, the nominator (why is that even listed, except to possibly add credability or not), or if a coin landed 'head's or 'tails'. I'm not saying any of these are GOOD reasons to vote for one versus the other, I can just see people voting that way.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic. Changing the rules so that only people that have been to both caches could vote might be a good idea, but it would have it's drawbacks as well. But I think that is a topic for another discussion.

I believe mastermind is good enough to be a cache of the month, and given that knowschad's message, it sounds like Cannon River is too.

Either way, I hope epsdoc doesn't shy away considering he got blasted a bit on his first ever post and that bflentje and pfalstad both continue to keep hiding such wonderful caches. Thank you both & keep up the good work!

Very nicely put. I don't think that the COTM should go away. But for gosh sakes, it shouldn't become a popularity contest like you mention unless that is the total tie breaker. A cache should first try to win on the appropriate merits. Even though I overreacted (and apologized for), Epsdoc's comment was still completely out of line. And anyone that reacted to me by casting an opposing vote rather than properly calling me on the carpet, too bad but so be it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: