MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saftey of Geocoins and TBs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Saftey of Geocoins and TBs Reply with quote

Just looking for opinions. In the last month I have run into TB Hotels or the like that have been Muggled or just missing. That accounts for a possible 13 Coins or Tbs MIA. Both of these were on public property. It seems to me that it is a risk putting all your "eggs" into one basket. Done right, on private property makes sense but some others don't
Whatcha think?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine (knock on wood) has been in place since March of 2004 with never a problem. I have moved it once as there was a trail leading right to it (and will probably do that again this year).

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=4251c085-f4a7-4a7a-aa0d-a1563d3b99b5

It's a very short hike into the woods, although far enough away to be way out of sight of any onlookers. I have had non-cachers find it on a couple of occasions and not take it (I must be just plain lucky there).

The problem a lot of people have with TB Hotels is that they want to make them so quick and easy for cachers to find that they get muggled quickly too.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good that you're considering the safety of TBs and coins. Private property is good. Public property can work, as long as it's not an exposed location. I personally get nervous when my coins are put in TB hotels, especially if they are exposed hides in the middle of a small city park, because it'll get probably muggled and then I've lost another coin.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. It is a big responsiblity when you are dealing with other cachers property.
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
Exactly. It is a big responsiblity when you are dealing with other cachers property.

The issue here is not so much private versus public property. It is about the quality and care put into making a good TB hotel.

If you take the time to make a well hidden TB hotel, there shouldn't be many, if any problems with muggles. Far too often cachers want to place a TB hotel without really thinking it through long and hard about where and how to place it. I am as guilty as they are too. In the first two months of caching, I placed what I thought was a great TB hotel. It was fine for awhile, but it didn't last.

Remember this, TBs and coins are going to get lost and stolen. It is just a part of the game that is ineveitable. Even pfalstad will agree with that. As TB and Coin owners, we accept that reality. We may not like it, but we know that it is a possibility.

If the hide is done well, public or private property should make very little difference. (IMHO)
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that hotels can be a safe -- or unsafe -- as any other cache. The biggest problem for my TBs over the years has been one-time cachers. Last summer I placed a new TB in a mountaintop cache in the Black Hills. It was picked up a few days later and hasn't been seen since. The guy has only logged one cache and 2 TBs and mail sent to his GC.com profile bounces back. Oh well.

I try to make sure I drop TBs and coins is spots where they won't be easily muggled. I'm not sure what more one can do.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup I agree. I dropped off a coin in a questionable new geocoin bank about 2 weeks ago, I figured it would get picked up quick, as it was a new cache, it was. The cache got muggled 2 days later. If I don't feel good about the cache I will not drop TBs there.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently receive an discovered log at 9:50pm for one of my coins that was in a cache and the same day at 10:19pm an email from the cache owner saying he went to check the cache and that it had been muggled and my coin was gone. There were a few coins in the cache not just mine. Funny thing is the cache owner is the person who discovered my coin earlier!? How could that happen without having the number from the coin? Something fishy I think.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
Yup I agree. I dropped off a coin in a questionable new geocoin bank about 2 weeks ago, I figured it would get picked up quick, as it was a new cache, it was. The cache got muggled 2 days later. If I don't feel good about the cache I will not drop TBs there.

I see now in checking the logs we are talking about the same cache.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both a TB hotel and a Coin Exchange bank and although neither have had any muggle problems so far, I am considering a slight change to the location of the TB hotel. From my experience you can only do so much to help ensure the safety of any cache but it many cases I think it comes down to location, location, location. If the cache is in a location where it could be run across by muggles then it's probably not a good spot. I like the location of my coin exchange because even though it's in a very public spot, it's not a spot that anyone touches or goes near. It's also a spot I am in close proximity with several days a week and check on frequently. I also pick up and move on coins and bugs that overstay their welcome (30 or so days) in my caches so they don't get stuck. I tend to be hands on with the caches I have (easy to do since I don't have many) and try to keep them stocked with goodies whether it's swag or tradeables.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
I have both a TB hotel and a Coin Exchange bank and although neither have had any muggle problems so far, I am considering a slight change to the location of the TB hotel. From my experience you can only do so much to help ensure the safety of any cache but it many cases I think it comes down to location, location, location. If the cache is in a location where it could be run across by muggles then it's probably not a good spot. I like the location of my coin exchange because even though it's in a very public spot, it's not a spot that anyone touches or goes near. It's also a spot I am in close proximity with several days a week and check on frequently. I also pick up and move on coins and bugs that overstay their welcome (30 or so days) in my caches so they don't get stuck. I tend to be hands on with the caches I have (easy to do since I don't have many) and try to keep them stocked with goodies whether it's swag or tradeables.

That sounds like the way to do it. When dealing with other people's personal property ( TB's and Coins) take extra care thinking about location.
mabutter
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so annoyed... I actually witnessed the theft of a coin without even realizing it because "they seemed like such nice people".

While caching in Stewartville, we found a few caches where the log indicated that someone had already found the cache that day. We wondered how far behind them we were and if maybe our paths would cross.
A few caches later, we did hear sounds approaching us after we had just replaced a cache and guess who it was... minnesotastateparks. The group that had been logging caches in the area that day. We chatted with them while they hunted the cache. They found it and claimed a geocoin that I had just placed in the cache. They headed one way and we headed another way.

It has been 6 weeks and they have never logged any of the caches online nor have they logged the coin.
Why do they bother to sign the cache logbook and not online? Is that to "brag" about who stole the coin without having a track to who they are?
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are people that dont log any finds. Its there choice. I searched for there profile and they dont have one. They are given a free membership so they can watch caches placed in state parks, maybe this doesnt give them privileged to log.
mabutter
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand their choice not to log online but then they shouldn't take coins because the cache still shows it listed as being in there.
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very careful about where I leave TBs. A lot of TB hotels are asking to get muggled. The TB Hotels that I will leave bugs are usually on private property, typically a mailbox, or a location that I have to actually get out of my truck with my GPSr to find. Usually, I try and leave them in caches that are hidden well enough to be muggle resistant.
The simple fact is that some TBs are going to go missing. I goofed up and forgot where I dropped one TB. I'm hoping that I didn't drop it in the woods on the way to a cache, although I think that is exactly what happened. I think I lost the poor guys TB. I don't have a record of where I left it and its not in my goodie bag, so until somebody grabs it from me or yells at me for being inconsiderate, I have no idea what happened to it.
My point is that "things" happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: