MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Valley - Teacher looking for Assistance
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimbreWlf
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Apple Valley - Teacher looking for Assistance Reply with quote

The Board has been approached by a teacher in Apple Valley who was introduced to geocaching and thought it could be a tool to teach geography skills. It sounds as though she'd like to arrange a small scale field trip.

Is there anyone interested in working on this?
TimbreWlf
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, nobody interested?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I would jump at the chance but this is the busiest time of the year at work for me. Sorry.
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be but I suck at geography and I am out of town 31 Aug thru 16 Sept.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would, but I have too many responsibilities lately Sad
msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done anything like that before, but I may be interested, but it depends on a bunch of things... (when, work, other commitments).

How soon (I'm swamped till the weekend after Labor Day)? What is the age group (materials would be very different for 2nd graders than 10th graders)? Are there some 'canned' materials or general guidlines that the MnGCA has for these kind of presentations (other than the gc.com's Intro to gc)? What have others done before? Is there a collection of other presentations that have been done so I could 'pick and choose' from those?

Or are those things you'd work with the teacher to figure out (when, how in depth to go in certain areas [how GPS works, history of geocaching, geography, what makes a good geocache(r)/travel bug, etc])?
TimbreWlf
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The target audience is 6th grade, and I'm certain that the timing will be something that can be worked out. Since school hasn't even started yet, I think it should be sometime before the snow flies.

The teacher was exposed to geocaching and would just like to talk to someone about potential application in the classroom. What we need is someone to contact her and discuss what her needs may or may not be. If you'd like, I could give you her information and you could touch base and see where it goes...

There are a number of resources available, and I'm certain that we could assist you with that piece.
msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If no one else with more experience/time is available [I don't even have 150 finds and no caches placed -- yet], send me the info and I will call the teacher before Labor Day to touch base and start the conversation.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msteffel wrote:
If no one else with more experience/time is available [I don't even have 150 finds and no caches placed -- yet], send me the info and I will call the teacher before Labor Day to touch base and start the conversation.

All you really need is a love of the sport. Thanks for stepping up!
TimbreWlf
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your offer to help, I jpersonally appreciate it.

I have forwarded the teacher's original request and her email address through GC. GeoPierce hit it on the head, if you enjoy something enough, you can offer what experience you have. If you need additional help, I'm certain you can get some support in the form of tips and advice from folks here in the forum.

Thanks again!
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for helping!

(numbers don't equal experience anyway, if you're out caching because you enjoy it, that's all the more you need).
msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the questions being asked is where can GPS devices be rented.

I did a quick search on the internet (real quick) and found lowergear.com but $25 for 3 days with an eTrex Legend seemed a bit spendy and I didn't really find anything local (I'll do some more searching later), but does anyone know of local places where GPSrs can be rented?

I don't know how often requests like this happen (for demos/classes - I didn't see too many in the forums), but I'm assuming that MnGCA doesn't have a bunch of GPSrs on hand for geocaching demos/classes. If so, you can ignore the rest of this post...

This may be a hornet's nest that MnGCA doesn't want to disturb, but...

has there been any though to either:

a) buying a bunch of low end GPSrs for this pupose

b) asking Target or Best Buy (or REI or woot.com Wink to donate some GPSrs for a shout out (i.e. Thanks to Target for donating the GPSr for today's demo)

c) have folks donate their old GPSrs to MnGCA (could they write it off then? I don't know the tax implications and if those donations count as 'income' to MnGCA or what)

I don't know if there are liability issues if we let someone use gps and they trip on it, choke on it, watch the GPS and not their feet and fall off a cliff, etc. So there is that, plus you'll could have the cost and logistics of shipping the GPSrs around as well. Personally, if MnGCA does decide to take this on, I kind of like the b) option in that it wouldn't cost MnGCA anything, it doesn't hurt to ask and if we do get the GPSrs they'd probably all be the same kind which would help in the demo/presentation. Besides if it was up to MnGCA to buy the GPSrs I can't image how crazy the battle royale would be over Garmin/Magellan/Lowrance Wink .

Heck, maybe MnGCA could rent out the GPSrs for some income [again don't know the issues with that: do we need a rental license? liability? logistics? can we rent donated items? etc..]

I'm probably going WAY overboard here, but just wanted to throw that out. I did do a search on 'rent' & 'rental' on the forum and didn't see anything related to GPSrs, so I didn't think this had been covered before but could have easily missed something.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msteffel wrote:
This may be a hornet's nest that MnGCA doesn't want to disturb, but...

has there been any though to either:

a) buying a bunch of low end GPSrs for this pupose

b) asking Target or Best Buy (or REI or woot.com Wink to donate some GPSrs for a shout out (i.e. Thanks to Target for donating the GPSr for today's demo)

c) have folks donate their old GPSrs to MnGCA (could they write it off then? I don't know the tax implications and if those donations count as 'income' to MnGCA or what).

There has been thought put into (a) and (b), yes. I have never heard of (c) before, and would be pretty sure that you wouldn't be able to write them off your taxes, although it's still an idea.

There's a thread somewhere I think that this was discussed in. It's something that I've initially shied away from due to the accountability of the physical property, especially while on loan and in transit. It's something I'm hoping the next board addresses further and is able to come up with a plan.

So the short answer to your question is no, the MnGCA doesn't have them and likely won't have them in the timeframe you require. Hopefully we'll be able to work out a program in the future for them.
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
msteffel wrote:

It's something I'm hoping the next board addresses further and is able to come up with a plan.

I think I recall hearing that the Three Rivers Park district purchased some 50 GPS units for their classes. It would not be far fetched to ask if MnGCA would be allowed to borrow some of these units for various training purposes at times.
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msteffel if you need any help let me know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: