MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learn from my mistake...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
former hawkeye
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Learn from my mistake... Reply with quote

Yesterday I got a lesson why you should read finders' logs-me I had just been checking to see if the cache was active-duh. I got 12 bee (actually wasp) stings-two in the face while doing Broken Down Cache in Fergus Falls. I went to the emergency room in FF (lucky for me there was a hosptial). The nurse had to remove stingers as I killed those nasties while they were getting me. I got a new nickname "Stinger". Rolling Eyes

I hope the cache wil be disabled temporary until the first cold weather, so the owner could safely move it.

Don't take the kids on this cache as it located in a middle of a junk pile-be up to date on your tetaus shot too.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a2fa80ee-5642-4606-bd25-05e5964a4d56
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently checked on one of mine as to why people hadn't been finding it- I thought it strange - found a wasp's nest built very near the cache- figures that people wouldn't get that close so did exactly that- it is down until cold weather-

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=cc1b0999-3be2-4f8c-844c-2769c667b46a

Yes- I do go south if need be in the summer-
TheCollector
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was stung a couple days ago here Silverview Park:Can I Have Your Autograph, Please? (GCW28G)
it sucked its still sore and puffy
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Bee season Reply with quote

I think it pays to be wary all thru Aug and Sept.

The bees seem to be very active them, everywhere.

Deb
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bee season Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
I think it pays to be wary all thru Aug and Sept.

The bees seem to be very active them, everywhere.

Deb

I agree, I got stung last night. We didn't even see a nest, just 2 bugs sitting on a bridge!
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I love fall caching, right after a good hard frost.

Incidentally, I was out replacing one of my puzzle caches (I'd had it inactive too long due to the 36/McKnight road project) and no sooner had I replaced the container a swarm of wasps started flying out of a nearby spot. Needless to say, I left the container there, posted a note on the cache page, but left the cache disabled.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late fall is definitely the best time of year to cache. No bugs, no foliage, less mud than spring or summer (especially if the ground has started to freeze), no UV concerns for the melanin-challenged like me, not too hot, not too cold, fewer muggles.
Bus&Betty
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear about all those stings, Former Hawkeye. Sad Hope you feel better soon.

Bob and I were in the FF area about three weeks ago, and started to look for Broken Down Cache. I stepped into a rusty coffee can and that was all it took to convince us that dump caching is not our sport.

We settled for Devyn's cache (easy yes, but safe) and did a CITO for November of the area, as the parking lot was quite a mess.

On the positive side, what a beautiful location. The dam is awesome.

Want to add that Broken Down Cache is probably more risky in fall versus summer because all the leaves are down, hiding all the trash. It may be easier in the summer when you can see what you are stepping on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: