MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The President's Cacheside Chat (March/April 2007)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> President's Cacheside Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: The President's Cacheside Chat (March/April 2007) Reply with quote

Just wanted to update everyone on the status of where we are at in regards to a few various topics:

DNR WMAs:

We are currently waiting for the DNR to make their decision. We've presented the information to the best of our ability, and have made it clear that we're here to provide further information and assist where we can, but the decision they need to make is now an internal one. The process is slow as the group that is making the decision meets on a quarterly basis. The board is very unsure on what they will decide at this point.

One of the issues that has been raised is how is geocaching different from hunters leaving permanent stands in the woods. The DNR apparently does not allow permanent stands to be left but we are asking to leave containers.

Also, much of the land that is designated as a WMA was bought with US Fish & Wildlife funds, and there are still "strings" attached to the land. According to the MnDNR, US F&W doesn't have a policy regarding caching in place at this time.

Dakota County Parks:

We are currently waiting for a draft of the policy to be developed and sent to us.

Anoka County Parks:

This remains a problem for us. Anoka County parks are off limits at this point. It appears that they will try and do an in-house caching project over the summer (I'm trying to get that clarified and offer our assistance), and then will consider a formal policy after this summer. We're being told that the park commissioners are very cautious regarding caching.

While I'm still pursuing this, personally I don't see them changing their point of view quickly.

New cache game:

The board is still considering the best course of action. I hope to announce a plan in the next week or so.

Spring event:

The committee presented the board with three park choices last week. We hope to be able to tell them our choice in the next couple of days. After that I would expect them to figure out the date and get the cache page created fairly quickly. For those of you wondering (that didn't catch this before), we are planning on doing it in the spring in a park somewhere in Minnesota. Smile

If you have any questions/comments, please feel free to post them. Thanks!
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The President's Cacheside Chat (March/April 2007) Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
For those of you wondering (that didn't catch this before), we are planning on doing it in the spring in a park somewhere in Minnesota. Smile

ajayhawkfan will be quite disappointed Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> President's Cacheside Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: