MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

August 2007 - Cache of the Month Nominees

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: August 2007 - Cache of the Month Nominees Reply with quote

The nominated caches for August 2007 are:

GC138K7 - Cannon River Bend by Lewis and Clark
Nominated by dornole
My sister sunsetglory and I did bflentje's Cannon River canoe caching series today (5 accessible by canoe only, one is "Cannon River Bend" and it was a fantastic caching experience! Kayaking, swimming, lunching, caching on a gorgeous little river. I also appreciated that you can rent canoes or kayaks at an outfitter in Cannon Falls and make all the finds on the 8-mile float from there, which is nice for those of us who don't have boats. I highly recommend this fun caching experience!!

GC11PYB - Mastermind by pfalstad
Nominated by msteffel
Pfalstad and others have done had some great puzzle caches in the past, but not only did this one take a LOT of work on his side setting up, but it's a fantastic puzzle and it takes you to an absolutely beautiful location as well.

I've been to some beautiful cache locations and done some great puzzles, but the combination of this great puzzle & beautiful location make this one standout above the rest. Thanks.

The vote will not start until August 25th to allow everyone time to find the nominated caches. Also, please feel free to post reviews or thoughts on the nominated caches in this thread if you have found them.

To nominate caches for September, just email me at gps@july15.com or PM me here.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE Cannon River Bend - while I can't recommend the cache itself, as I didn't do any caching, I do recommend going to the outfitter in Cannon Falls and renting a canoe or kayak, and I would suggest sooner rather than later, as low as the river is getting. Last Sunday, Perrine talked me into taking a break from geocaching and going someplace to rent a canoe so we can get on some water. First, we went to Welch Village, but the place there was so busy with tubers that we couldn't even find a place to park, so we went to Cannon Falls instead. Only $25 for a canoe rental, and that includes the shuttle service back up river - I didn't have the tracks on my GPS turned on, but it was a 3 hour trip (and where else can you pay only $25 for 3 hours of fun). I would also suggest stopping at Kings in Miesville for a post-float beer and burger. It was crowded, but being only two of us, we got seated right away, and it was also a stop for a bunch of Patriot Riders out for a cruise.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
RE Cannon River Bend - while I can't recommend the cache itself, as I didn't do any caching

Oh, come on, sure you can recommend it... other mngca members usually have no problems recommending caches that they've never visited before just based on who the cache owner is. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Really though, even if you don't vote for the Cannon River Bend cache, you have to experience the river. Although, it would be a lot more exciting if we got some rain. The river is 1.5 feet lower than when I planted the series. And for the record, if you paddle straight through and your only stops are for caching and peeing, you can do the 6.8 river mile run in about 2 hours. If you bring your own boat plan on wasting an hour loading and unloading. If you plan on renting, plan at least 1 to 2 hours waiting around for being picked up.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
And for the record, if you paddle straight through and your only stops are for caching and peeing, you can do the 6.8 river mile run in about 2 hours.

We were impressed that someone did it in two hours; it took us closer to 3. But then we didn't land in the right place for one of the caches, and the water was low so we had to get out and push our canoe off of rocks several times. Maybe if we knew what we were doing, we could have done it faster.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
bflentje wrote:
And for the record, if you paddle straight through and your only stops are for caching and peeing, you can do the 6.8 river mile run in about 2 hours.

We were impressed that someone did it in two hours; it took us closer to 3. But then we didn't land in the right place for one of the caches, and the water was low so we had to get out and push our canoe off of rocks several times. Maybe if we knew what we were doing, we could have done it faster.

I do admit that both of us are experienced paddlers and knew exactly where the caches were. Also, KBayNPapaBear is a strong guy so he really kept us moving. I've done the run in 2.5 hours with two children but we did NOT stop to cache.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Back for more Reply with quote

Enjoyed this so much I took my parents (from FL) and my son (age 11) out last weekend to do the series again. It was even better than the last time because we knew where to find the white sugar sand beaches for our swims. I'm telling you, this place is unbelievable.

Though novice cachers my aged parents had no trouble making any of the finds--I'm thinking pflastad and the gang might have had a few too many "celebratory brews"?
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Back for more Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
Though novice cachers my aged parents had no trouble making any of the finds--I'm thinking pflastad and the gang might have had a few too many "celebratory brews"?

We didn't have any trouble.. Except for one hide where FSU*Noles yelled out, "Oh, there's a <geobeacon>" so I thought he looked there, but he didn't. Smile
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done both caches, and boy... this is gonna be tough! Both were extremely enjoyable, but each in its own unique way. I had a blast with CAG and Gumdrops floating down the Cannon, picking up some easy, and a couple of not so easy caches (OK, I know that we're not voting for a series here!), but I also spent just about as much enjoyable time figuring out Mastermind.

Mastermind, as some of you probably know and a few of you may not have figured out, has as many little "caches as you go" as Bart's series, but in its own way. Be sure to check properties of everything, view sources of everything, etc. I probably missed some of the Easter Eggs that Ken left along the way, too.

The Cannon series gave me hours of fun with friends, along with beauty and physical excersise, while Mastermind coaxed me into my first really tricky puzzle cache, gave me several extra laughs along the way.

Both were about equal as far as the actual hides. Nice, but no real surprises in either case. Both were about the total experience.

I'll probably have to flip a coin to vote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: