MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alaskan caching adventure.next installment:

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Alaskan caching adventure.next installment: Reply with quote

WOW, what a great day! Left the hotel at 6:45, made a quick pass thru the McDonald's drive thru for some orange juice and muffins and drove to Miles Canyon, just south of Whitehorse. Hiked about 1.5 miles along the Yukon River to find three caches. Left there about 8:15 and made a quick find at a sledding hill just down the road. Then a drive which the write-up said 'most small cars should be fine, but not recommended for RVs, etc'. The write-up was correct and I found a cache overlooking Lewes Lake.

The next two were interesting. The first said to park at the Mt. Lorem Community Center which I did. Was greeted by a volunteer firewoman who asked if I was there for the run. It turns out they were have a 12k run this morning. Told her I was there for the geocache and was invited to the post run feast, which I declined. Found the cache and went on the the Anne Lake Golf Course (where the run was to start) and quickly found the cache. There was an interesting sign there. It read all ATVs must stay on the fairways! By the looks of the course, the only golf cart that would work would be an ATV!

Next stop was a beautiful blue-green lake. Stopped at the overlook on the highway and then drove further down and walked into the cache on the lake shore.

From there it was on to Skagway and the drive was spectacular. Mountains with snow, blue lakes--just spectacular scenery. Got to Skagway and the cruise ships had deposited their loads as well as the tour buses. I think there were more cruise ships/buses in town than cars.

I will never complain about bouncing coordinates again. Skagway is located in a steep valley and the GPS went wild. One clue said it was a magnetic key holder on a bridge and that you didn't even have to walk on the bridge to find it. My ground zero was 30 ft away from the bridge. A DNF. Walked out to a beautiful point and spent at least a half hour looking for another cache which also ended in a DNF. Did have success on a virtual (Yeah!) and a travel bug motel that had many TBs listed, but none in the cache.

Left Skagway about 3:30 and drove to Teslin, YK.

The weather this morning was cloudy, but turned bright and sunshiny by noon.

Tomorrow I have about 150 miles to drive to Highway 37 and then will start heading south. No caches between here and 37, but there are increasing numbers as I head south. I don't have any idea where I will stop for the night. There isn't much on the map for that part of BC.

'Til Later.....

Well, I think I finally got this right. Start late; end early; drive 150 miles and find geocaches. That sure worked today.

Got on the road a little after nine this morning and stopped for breakfast in Smithers. I then went caching and found a cache that was located at the end of the airport runway (not on airport land). The write-up suggests bringing a lunch, watch the planes take off overhead and view the glacier in the mountains to the west. Found without problem with newly posted/corrected coordinates. There was an interesting DNF posted just before the coordinate corrections for this one. This geocachers couldn’t find the cache, but had a UN diabetes TB that needed to go to Juneau, AK. So he ‘hung it in a near-by tree about chest high’; there were several trees in the general area. I couldn’t find the tag.

From there I headed across the valley to a place where twin water falls from the glacier come over the cliff. Very lush.\, beautiful area. Walked up to the observation deck, saw no one, and then walked back to find the cache. As I was pulling the cache from the hiding place, a couple from Niles, Michigan (they didn’t know MaxB) comes walking around the bend. They weren’t geocachers, but since I was caught red-handed, I explained the sport, etc., showed them what you do and how the cache is re-hid, etc. They sounded like they will be future geocachers. I am sure I passed their RV at least a couple times yesterday and the day before.

There was a third cache on the road back to town that I stopped for. Then stopped at a car was so my car no longer looks like it has been in northern Canada.

The drive today was through a large valley, with the big mountains to the west. Smithers is the first town I have encountered recently that you would call a town anywhere. The next three caches were essentially rest stop hides, but here rest stop hides can lead to a significant walk as one did. The intermittent rain stopped often and long enough for me to get these without getting wet.

Got to Burns Lake and decided to call it a day about 4:30. Had dinner and since there was a cache here in town, went out and found it.

Not sure how far I will get tomorrow. Prince George is 200 miles and Williams Lake is 350 miles from here. However, there are LOTS of caches and probably some fur trade history along the way. Will just see what feels good as I go tomorrow.

‘Til Later…..

Got on the road this morning about 7:30 under bright sunshine which lasted all of 20 minutes. After that, it was cloudy with rain off and on; more on than off.

But it was an interesting day. It was 150 miles to the Route 37 turn-off. Just as I got to it, I saw a sign that the road was closed. Pulled into filling station and asked. The lady said it had been opened at 8:30 this morning, but the sign wasn’t down. Part of the road had been flooded out. Route 37 goes thru some beautiful country, but there are not many wide-spots in the road. A couple of times there were warning signs that filling stations had closed and that you needed to be able to drive another 50 to 100 miles to the next one so be sure you had enough gas. It also turned out there was construction in addition to repairs. My car is now white and brown, just like the last couple of years.

Stopped for lunch at the first available place about 1:30. About four I decided to camp if the rain stopped, but if it kept raining, drive until I found a motel. Found a motel at 8:30 in New Hazelton, BC. Total miles driven today: 630.

Did find two caches and I only passed one cache that would have been reasonable to look for an that was about 7:30 tonight. The first one was interesting. The write-up said to turn on a small gravel road to drive close to the cache. I saw the road on the left, but an RV was parked on the right side so I couldn’t pull off to see if I could indeed drive down it. Pulled around the RV into a big dirt/gravel field and was looking at my printout and GPS when the person in the RV came up to the car. He asked if the thing I had in my hand meant I was a geocacher. They had gone down to the area twice but couldn’t find it. I had more cu rrent info, but they had to leave. Went down to the cache and found it after a while, but had to use the additional info from a recent log. They were from southern BC.

The next one was by a beautiful river that I would have loved to put a canoe in. Would have been fun; found the cache without problem.

Shortly before I found the motel, I was pulled over looking at my computer route trying to figure out what I should do as there wasn’t any motel in that wide-spot. Another car pulled up and asked if I knew where a filling station was. I said I thought I had seen a sign up the road a piece. They said they would go back and look, but if not would just have to head down the road (it turns out there was a station back where I thought and also one a couple miles down the road).

Saw two black bears while driving on 37. It is amazing how the country changed when I turned off of 37 onto Canada 16. All of a sudden there were houses, farms and even a small town where I took the first motel I saw. There are also a couple more down the street!

Tomorrow I will sleep a little longer (I thnk) and plan to do a lot more geocaching and a lot less driving. It may even be Wednesday before I get to Prince George (~300 miles).

'Til Later...

Last edited by eagleyes on Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: More adventure in Canada--- Reply with quote

It was misting when I lift Watson Lake this morning, but it stopped shortly after. Remained cloudy most of the day until late this afternoon when the sun came out. Will check the weather to see if the weather man has changed his mind or if this is just a teaser.

The drive to Whitehorse continued to be beautiful. There are several long, narrow lakes in this part of the Yukon. Whitehorse is the first "bigger" town I have been in for awhile. Noticed that before I even got here with all the billboards on the road to town. Drove around town trying to figure out where I should stay, etc.. Very frustrated, almost like I had claustrophobia. It looks like Whitehorse is a touristy type town in addition to being the capitol of the Yukon.

Found four caches today. The first was on a nice fast-moving creek. It was my first Yukon find and it is also the first Yukon cache to have a find logged on geocaching.com. Found the others at a swan study/viewing area, the headwaters of the Yukon River and a 'Welcome to Whitehorse' roadside park.

I am going to head for Skagway tomorrow, visit/cache for awhile and then start 'heading south'. I have to go north and retrace a good portion of what I drove today to eventually get to Highway 37 which will indeed take my south.

'Til Later.....

WOW, what a great day! Left the hotel at 6:45, made a quick pass thru the McDonald's drive thru for some orange juice and muffins and drove to Miles Canyon, just south of Whitehorse. Hiked about 1.5 miles along the Yukon River to find three caches. Left there about 8:15 and made a quick find at a sledding hill just down the road. Then a drive which the write-up said 'most small cars should be fine, but not recommended for RVs, etc'. The write-up was correct and I found a cache overlooking Lewes Lake.

The next two were interesting. The first said to park at the Mt. Lorem Community Center which I did. Was greeted by a volunteer firewoman who asked if I was there for the run. It turns out they were have a 12k run this morning. Told her I was there for the geocache and was invited to the post run feast, which I declined. Found the cache and went on the the Anne Lake Golf Course (where the run was to start) and quickly found the cache. There was an interesting sign there. It read all ATVs must stay on the fairways! By the looks of the course, the only golf cart that would work would be an ATV!

Next stop was a beautiful blue-green lake. Stopped at the overlook on the highway and then drove further down and walked into the cache on the lake shore.

From there it was on to Skagway and the drive was spectacular. Mountains with snow, blue lakes--just spectacular scenery. Got to Skagway and the cruise ships had deposited their loads as well as the tour buses. I think there were more cruise ships/buses in town than cars.

I will never complain about bouncing coordinates again. Skagway is located in a steep valley and the GPS went wild. One clue said it was a magnetic key holder on a bridge and that you didn't even have to walk on the bridge to find it. My ground zero was 30 ft away from the bridge. A DNF. Walked out to a beautiful point and spent at least a half hour looking for another cache which also ended in a DNF. Did have success on a virtual (Yeah!) and a travel bug motel that had many TBs listed, but none in the cache.

Left Skagway about 3:30 and drove to Teslin, YK.

The weather this morning was cloudy, but turned bright and sunshiny by noon.

Tomorrow I have about 150 miles to drive to Highway 37 and then will start heading south. No caches between here and 37, but there are increasing numbers as I head south. I don't have any idea where I will stop for the night. There isn't much on the map for that part of BC.

'Til Later.....

Got on the road this morning about 7:30 under bright sunshine which lasted all of 20 minutes. After that, it was cloudy with rain off and on; more on than off.

But it was an interesting day. It was 150 miles to the Route 37 turn-off. Just as I got to it, I saw a sign that the road was closed. Pulled into filling station and asked. The lady said it had been opened at 8:30 this morning, but the sign wasn’t down. Part of the road had been flooded out. Route 37 goes thru some beautiful country, but there are not many wide-spots in the road. A couple of times there were warning signs that filling stations had closed and that you needed to be able to drive another 50 to 100 miles to the next one so be sure you had enough gas. It also turned out there was construction in addition to repairs. My car is now white and brown, just like the last couple of years.

Stopped for lunch at the first available place about 1:30. About four I decided to camp if the rain stopped, but if it kept raining, drive until I found a motel. Found a motel at 8:30 in New Hazelton, BC. Total miles driven today: 630.

Did find two caches and I only passed one cache that would have been reasonable to look for an that was about 7:30 tonight. The first one was interesting. The write-up said to turn on a small gravel road to drive close to the cache. I saw the road on the left, but an RV was parked on the right side so I couldn’t pull off to see if I could indeed drive down it. Pulled around the RV into a big dirt/gravel field and was looking at my printout and GPS when the person in the RV came up to the car. He asked if the thing I had in my hand meant I was a geocacher. They had gone down to the area twice but couldn’t find it. I had more cu rrent info, but they had to leave. Went down to the cache and found it after a while, but had to use the additional info from a recent log. They were from southern BC.

The next one was by a beautiful river that I would have loved to put a canoe in. Would have been fun; found the cache without problem.

Shortly before I found the motel, I was pulled over looking at my computer route trying to figure out what I should do as there wasn’t any motel in that wide-spot. Another car pulled up and asked if I knew where a filling station was. I said I thought I had seen a sign up the road a piece. They said they would go back and look, but if not would just have to head down the road (it turns out there was a station back where I thought and also one a couple miles down the road).

Saw two black bears while driving on 37. It is amazing how the country changed when I turned off of 37 onto Canada 16. All of a sudden there were houses, farms and even a small town where I took the first motel I saw. There are also a couple more down the street!

Tomorrow I will sleep a little longer (I thnk) and plan to do a lot more geocaching and a lot less driving. It may even be Wednesday before I get to Prince George (~300 miles).

'Til Later...

Well, I think I finally got this right. Start late; end early; drive 150 miles and find geocaches. That sure worked today.

Got on the road a little after nine this morning and stopped for breakfast in Smithers. I then went caching and found a cache that was located at the end of the airport runway (not on airport land). The write-up suggests bringing a lunch, watch the planes take off overhead and view the glacier in the mountains to the west. Found without problem with newly posted/corrected coordinates. There was an interesting DNF posted just before the coordinate corrections for this one. This geocachers couldn’t find the cache, but had a UN diabetes TB that needed to go to Juneau, AK. So he ‘hung it in a near-by tree about chest high’; there were several trees in the general area. I couldn’t find the tag.

From there I headed across the valley to a place where twin water falls from the glacier come over the cliff. Very lush.\, beautiful area. Walked up to the observation deck, saw no one, and then walked back to find the cache. As I was pulling the cache from the hiding place, a couple from Niles, Michigan (they didn’t know MaxB) comes walking around the bend. They weren’t geocachers, but since I was caught red-handed, I explained the sport, etc., showed them what you do and how the cache is re-hid, etc. They sounded like they will be future geocachers. I am sure I passed their RV at least a couple times yesterday and the day before.

There was a third cache on the road back to town that I stopped for. Then stopped at a car was so my car no longer looks like it has been in northern Canada.

The drive today was through a large valley, with the big mountains to the west. Smithers is the first town I have encountered recently that you would call a town anywhere. The next three caches were essentially rest stop hides, but here rest stop hides can lead to a significant walk as one did. The intermittent rain stopped often and long enough for me to get these without getting wet.

Got to Burns Lake and decided to call it a day about 4:30. Had dinner and since there was a cache here in town, went out and found it.

Not sure how far I will get tomorrow. Prince George is 200 miles and Williams Lake is 350 miles from here. However, there are LOTS of caches and probably some fur trade history along the way. Will just see what feels good as I go tomorrow.

‘Til Later…..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: