MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KARE 11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamoCacher wrote:
Looked good everyone!!!!!

Drat19 WOW! Lookin' good bud!

Okay who said: They haven't meet a cacher they didn't like?

That was me. Although, I haven't met you, only heard of you! hehehe!
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad called to ask if that was me, apparently I need to start the D-Rat diet, as my dad identified me from the waist shot.

Everyone looked good. Gilby's 15 minutes are down by 5 now! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I for one am very pleased with the piece! I think they did a great job of showing the caches without being revealing at all. All the people looked great and sounded intelligent. I have already heard from several people who don't cache that thought it was really cool and not geeky at all.

My personal favorite: Zman" dash.... dot.....dash... dash ............I have no idea" or something to that effect. I was ROTFLMAO!

One out of context line: I was quoting a tee shirt to them with the "billion dollar sats to find tupperware, whats your hobby?" I never say that, but it worked well for the piece. Funny line anyways.

Great job everyone! I think it's a piece we all can be proud of. Thanks for all the participation at weekNIGHT everyone!

Speaking of..... Who has weekNIGHT this week? It isn't me!

Last edited by TheGilby4 on Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
pto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good piece - I liked how they kept the camera shots of the area to a minimum, to not give away anything.

Most of my family was watching since they have all heard my ramblings on the subject. My mom called my to ask how many bridges I had been under, and why that was a logical place, etc- I said none, since that isnít usually permitted unless its a small bridge in a park, etc- not freeways, etc- and may have been grand fathered in before those stricter guidelines.
"Logical" isnít always applied either. Sometimes the most abstract of ideas are expressed in hides. "Permitted by who" and many other questions.

She got on the phone to call my sister, since her kids are now into caching- to make sure they stay the heck away from rivers under bridges, no matter where they are. Bridge caches are not the norm, but still available and fun given proper preparation I assured her of that But, they are 16 & 14, so they need to be nagged by Grandma. My sister, their Taxi driver was also informed to halt any such searches. I also told them a good rule of thumb- If you are uncomfortable- donít do it.

I referred them to gc.com for the guidelines to print (again) and have handy for any reference - And to call me if they want me to tag along.

Now that I've cleared that up with those 3 tonight, I will probably get to do it again tomorrow - more than once-
Itís a subtle thing, but I canít help but think it may cause some raised eyebrows- even though proper permission from parks was discussed.
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bridge and creek was a "bridge we had to cross when we got to it" As part of planning the evening, that one was not on the list of "to dos". It was suggested by the group, that that cache might be good for filming the night photography, and it was. But I had no idea when we set out that it was going to involve what it did. I hadn't done the cache yet at that point.

At least they didn't show exactly where it was, or name the waterway. However, they did mention the cache, and that was the only thing I would of changed with what they showed or said. Otherwise, I agree, probably not the best choice for a major news broadcast.

The cameras made it look a lot more than it really was. The water was only a few inches deep. But saying that doesn't make for good television. And, don't get me wrong, that is a GREAT cache with fabulous reviews in the logs. But, to non-cachers, and being filmed in the dark, it may look dangerous.

Last edited by TheGilby4 on Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGilby3 wrote:

My personal favorite: Zman" dash.... dot.....dash... dash ............I have no idea" or something to that effect. I was ROTFLMAO!

I was talking to GeoPierce and pfalstad about the cache "The Declaration of Independence" GCZA4C. I still have no idea...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheCollector
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone tape it?
drat19
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCollector wrote:
anyone tape it?

http://tinyurl.com/26odm3

I watched it this morning...they really did an amazing job editing everything into a coherent piece that represented the game, and us, well. Of course as we all know they left out a few details, but all in all for me it was a really nice combination of good info and good TV...what more can you ask in this day and age of short attention spans?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was impressed with the segment. Nice job Gilby and KARE 11.
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
CamoCacher wrote:
Looked good everyone!!!!!

Drat19 WOW! Lookin' good bud!

Okay who said: They haven't meet a cacher they didn't like?

That was me. Although, I haven't met you, only heard of you! hehehe!

Thanks EPMinnesota!
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a top notch production.

Kudos to EVERYONE who made it happen!!!!

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
willy1970
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a good story. I think the cachers involved in doing the story did a great job of "acting" sane. Very Happy

It really is a great activity for the whole family. I liked how they showed Gilby's daughter's enthusiasm for it -- that's how my daughters act too, and it's great to see young people outdoors enjoying themselves. That's what it's all about for me -- getting them outside, away from the TV, doing something constructive. Plus, the exercise doesn't hurt either.

They probably could have included more details to inform and encourage people to get out and try it. But, at the same time, they only have so much time to work with.

Overall, great job by everyone involved, thanks! Cool

-Jeff
drat19
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

willy1970 wrote:
It was a good story. I think the cachers involved in doing the story did a great job of "acting" sane. Very Happy

It was a masterful editing job...trust me, they have ample blackmail material back at the studio that didn't make the final cut!
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved watching it and they even mentioned my name. I recorded it on my ReplayTV and downloaded it as an mpg file but Windows Media Player on my work laptop says it doesn't have a codec to play it and the file is about 120mb. I started recording during the commercials so I'll see if I can find some free video editing software to trim that out and then post it online. The video on the KARE 11 site doesn't work for me either.

I did see two new website registrations come through this morning mentioning KARE 11 as how they found out about the MnGCA. That's pretty cool. Welcome yaj and mreimer!
abnerone
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fantastic and positive report. KARE 11 really did a great job with it. Kudos to them for not taking the slant of "Hey look at these freaks we heard about in the woods!"

FYI - In order to save someone else the trouble....I wanted to find the named cache, and had trouble finding the Penn Avenue Shuffle. That is because it is called P.A.S. I assume it is not terrible to get this cache some more traffic.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCVVAD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Media Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: