MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hey I AM valuable after all - LOL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Hey I AM valuable after all - LOL Reply with quote

I wondered when it would finally happen..... I have had it on automatic search from day one and this is the first one I have seen for sale

Centris coin has hit flea-bay ---> HERE
Don't bid on the bugger -- I just think it is interesting
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't bid on the bugger --

I have my own. Very Happy I don't need another one.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one from Centris herself, why should I bother getting one from someone I don't know?

(unless maybe someday I can get that elusive orange version of the same coin)
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
(unless maybe someday I can get that elusive orange version of the same coin)

Hey -- the red one is advertised as HTF!!! I may have to up the ante on the orange ones and make them ITF.
Are you sure I never gave you one?? I can't believe that.

Now I have figured out how to fund wallypog's college textbooks.... just start selling the red coins. Except any science class would require me to sell a black one. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winning bid: US $103.50
Winning bidder: fluteface

I am FREAKED out!! Shocked
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

time to start selling those coins there Centris Wink

And nope, I never got an orange one (believe me, I would know).
TheCollector
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow a red for over a 100 i have a black how much would it go for 200? I also want to try and get an orange i love the mixed colors
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get in line, I asked first Razz
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

US $103.50

Congrats Centris!!!
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merkman wrote:
US $103.50
Congrats Centris!!!

I didn't get any part of that $$$, that was not even my auction -- my coins are traders. She got that coin in trade months ago.
Personally I think it sucks to see your coin sell for so much when you know that it is only worth $7.50..... however I did send a little consolation package to fluteface.

I'm working on a plan to make sure the freebie "Bear Hugs" coins from my Goodbye event do not end up having the same expensive fate since they are a F2F coin and truly will be HTF outside of MN or WY.
I'm considering activating the lot of them before I hand them out and then just adopt them over to the now owner.... that should decrease their value just a bit.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't sell any of the centris coins I own.

Just like my moun10bike coin, they're priceless.
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:

AMEN to that (Yes Centris I know I still owe you the coin when they come out of production. I haven't forgotten you girl!)
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:

Just like my moun10bike coin, they're priceless.

Ditto!!!!!!

These coins are just too special Smile to do anything like that to them. Cool Don't see how someone could do that when they were specifically asked not to from Centris. Shocked
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centris wrote:
merkman wrote:
US $103.50
Congrats Centris!!!
Personally I think it sucks to see your coin sell for so much when you know that it is only worth $7.50..... however I did send a little consolation package to fluteface.

I am sorry I misunderstood your post.
I thought you were excited and freaked out to see that you were valuable after all when your coin sold for over $100 on E-bay.
I didn't realize that it offended you.

It still validates that you designed a very cool coin.
You should be proud to have contributed such a cool coin to the geocaching community.

Sorry if I offended you,
merkman
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{{{{ STEVE }}}}} I could never be mad at YOU!!!

The coin selling is not what ofends me. What bothers me it the fact that people on ebay get soooooo carried away with what they perceive to be valuable coins that really are not.
Never in my wildest dreams could I imagine anyone paying over $100 for a regular edition coin that cost me $7.50 to make. $45 maybe.... $60 possibly.... anything over $70 is insanity. I suppose that says more about my feelings for ebay than it does for my coin.

When I first posted this thread, the high bid was $43 and I thought that was pretty "valuable". (hence the name of the thread) I fiigured it would not go much more than that, let alone more than double. I bid on it myself up to $45 and if I had won, my plan was to have her activate it and stick it in a cache, but that was not meant to be.

I can see a LE or XLE charity coin or fund raising coin going for a lot, like those coins they sold for Ladycacher and that kid that AtlantaGal was raising money for or that scout troop that was headed to the jamboree. But a plain old RE personal coin?? Especially one that is still easily available from the owner.

Even that Black XLE KB that AtlantaGal sold for charity only went for $58 and that is an awesomely HTF rare coin!!

I knew that one day a Centris can would show up on ebay, but I never imagined the demand would be there..... it is a nice coin, but not THAT nice. It is the crazy price that was paid that bugs me, not the fact that one was sold.

I have no hard feelings to the gal who sold it either, she traded for it fair and square months ago -- more power to her that she hauled in such a profit... good for her!! In fact, she and I will probably trade again in the future - she is an amazing srtist.

However, it would really (edited for language) me off to see one of the new "Bear Hugs" coins for sale on ebay since they are a F2F freebie coin that I will be giving as a gift to friends.... and that is a whole different ball game than a trade coin. That is why I am seriously considering activating the lot of them to decrease their re-sale value.

I wrote a note to fluteface after the auction. She told me that was the second highest price she has ever paid for a coin, but she thought it was worth it. After we corresponded for a few days, I did send her some freebie XLE MN coins and silver KB for free just to ease the pain. She is a real sweet lady. She just got caught up in the ebay frenzy.

I guess I ought to start selling coins again on ebay...... AFTER I get to WY and unpack the buggers. (but the cans are still traders - no worries)

edited for language by dachebo 7/14/07
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: