MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 state park challenge articles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: 2 state park challenge articles Reply with quote

I don't know if you get or read the groundspeak newsletter, but today there are 2 articles about the MN State park challenge.

This one even mentions the MnGCA:
http://www.mnbiketrails.com/main.asp?SectionID=21&SubSectionID=44&ArticleID=1671&TM=58130.4

We went to Garden Island with these cachers. In fact, I took the picture used in the article. I thought that was funny.
http://bluffcountrynews.com/main.asp?SectionID=14&SubSectionID=23&ArticleID=23917
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 state park challenge articles Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
I don't know if you get or read the groundspeak newsletter, but today there are 2 articles about the MN State park challenge.

This one even mentions the MnGCA:
http://www.mnbiketrails.com/main.asp?SectionID=21&SubSectionID=44&ArticleID=1671&TM=58130.4

We went to Garden Island with these cachers. In fact, I took the picture used in the article. I thought that was funny.
http://bluffcountrynews.com/main.asp?SectionID=14&SubSectionID=23&ArticleID=23917

Is the Lisa that wrote the Bluff Country article geocacher Lizs? I know Lizs's real name is Lisa and she works for a southern paper. Or used to anyways.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Lizs and congrats wildflower82
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things about the challenge overall stood out at me: First the one article in the MnTrails website said there were approximately 20,000 finds in the State Park Challenge. That's a lot of finds, an average of almost 260 finds across the 77 caches placed for the challenge, in less than a year's time!

The other thing is the fact that the 72 park Final challenge cache managed to log 58 different "found" logs. I have to admit that is about 50-55 more than I ever thought it would log! I remember when we first saw this challenge come out my wife and I thought it was cool, but who would be able to finish 72 parks across a state this big before December 31st??? I had no idea we'd actually be one of the 58 logging that cache, and I am impressed that 57 other people/groups found it.

Finally for those who use any of those statistic generator websites like its not about the numbers... I'm guessing the % of archived caches will go up quite a bit now that all 77 of them are archived! I think MnStateParks was our 2nd most found, only behind KB. I guess we'll just have to start in on the new series once it is launched!
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
Two things about the challenge overall stood out at me: First the one article in the MnTrails website said there were approximately 20,000 finds in the State Park Challenge. That's a lot of finds, an average of almost 260 finds across the 77 caches placed for the challenge, in less than a year's time!

I figure that you can almost double that number for actual finds. At William O'Brien SP there are 343 finds on geocache.com and just counting the dates as a log in the log book there are about 600!! if you count individuals that actually walked out to the cache i would put that number at well over 1200.
Wildflower82
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Speedski, for posting the links. Lizs did a great job on the articles and wrote more about the Garden Island adventure in her weekly column.

http://www.hometown-pages.com/main.asp?SectionID=14&SubSectionID=59&ArticleID=23921&TM=29654.36
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Media Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: