MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

June 2007 - Cache of the Month Nominees

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: June 2007 - Cache of the Month Nominees Reply with quote

The nominated caches for June 2007 are:

GCVE8Z - °Roberto Verde! by Team Ramrod (s4xton and Silent Bob)
Nominated by bflentje
I've had this cache on my list for quite a while. Once I completed the cache, I was only disappointed that I hadn't done it sooner. This cache is located in a hidden gem of a park, Miesville Ravine. It has many elements that I look for in a cache.

To get to the cache, there is a stream to cross, either by wading or by natural bridge (the stream is "double dog dare you" quality with sandy bottom and very clear). Some flat and clear walking trails. Some incline and bushwacking near the end. Spectacular view once a top the bluff at GZ. But not too physically difficult. And at GZ you aren't tasked with locating a "micro in the woods" but a pleasantly placed ammo can that still required some, but a minimal amount, of searching. It had the perfect mix of everything.

And for the number cachers, in this park you'll find a few other caches along the way to to help bump up the count a bit. There are two easier caches you can find on the way and then there's Knowschad's great multi-cache on the other side of the park. And take note of the series on the Cannon River, which runs right into Miesville Ravine. A group of cachers can easily pickup 10 caches on a canoe run from Cannon Falls to Miesville Ravine, probably a 3 to 4 hour adventure.

GCJG8P - DRY LAKE by eagleyes
Nominated by Pear Head
Iím nominating Dry Lake by eagleyes for Cache of the Month. This cache, which was placed in August of 2004, is an excellent example of what caching is all about. The cache takes you on a scenic trip around Dry Lake north of Ely, MN. This cache (to me anyway) isnít about the container itself Ė itís about the hike to get to the container.

To fully appreciate the area youíre hiking in, youíll need to plan on nabbing the other two caches in the area, Dry Lake at Bass Falls (also a COTM nominee) and Bass Lake Vista. The three caches will have you traveling about 7.5 miles total. Youíll hike all the way around Dry Lake and up one side of Bass Lake. The views along this trail are stunning.

I found the cache in August, 2004 with EskoClimber (who was the FTF). I was reminded of how beautiful the area is after Moe the Sleaze, Team Hooligan, and Silent Bob recently visited it.

You can find pictures from my trip here.

The vote will not start until June 24th to allow everyone time to find the nominated caches. Also, please feel free to post reviews or thoughts on the nominated caches in this thread if you have found them.

To nominate caches for July, just email me at gps@july15.com or PM me here.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: June 2007 - Cache of the Month Nominees Reply with quote

Jonas wrote:
Dry Lake at Bass Falls (also a COTM nominee) and Bass Lake Vista.

Actually Bass Lake Vista was the prior nominee (made by pogopod) not Dry Lake at Bass Falls.

http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10765#10765
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: June 2007 - Cache of the Month Nominees Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Jonas wrote:
Dry Lake at Bass Falls (also a COTM nominee) and Bass Lake Vista.

Actually Bass Lake Vista was the prior nominee (made by pogopod) not Dry Lake at Bass Falls.

My mistake - thanks for pointing it out. I had the bookmarks set correctly on the pages but did the writeup wrong.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: June 2007 - Cache of the Month Nominees Reply with quote

Jonas wrote:
To fully appreciate the area youíre hiking in, youíll need to plan on nabbing the other two caches in the area, Dry Lake at Bass Falls (also a COTM nominee) and Bass Lake Vista. The three caches will have you traveling about 7.5 miles total. Youíll hike all the way around Dry Lake and up one side of Bass Lake. The views along this trail are stunning.

I'll be in Ely sometime in July. Is this 7.5 mile trip possible on a bike? I doubt I'd walk that far on my own without company.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: June 2007 - Cache of the Month Nominees Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
I'll be in Ely sometime in July. Is this 7.5 mile trip possible on a bike? I doubt I'd walk that far on my own without company.

I don't believe I would consider doing it on a bike, no. It's pretty rugged terrain (rock outcroppings, etc) and is a narrow footpath in many places. It may even be designated as a footpath only - I'm not sure.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be in Ely the second weekend of July. Dry Lake will go on the to do list. I will consider the 7.5 mile walk with a stranger if a) there is no more than one degree of seperation, and b) I receive a notorized letter of recommendation from said swing man. Laughing
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's a good walk with some very nice views (plus three caches to do!)
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
I will be in Ely the second weekend of July. Dry Lake will go on the to do list. I will consider the 7.5 mile walk with a stranger if a) there is no more than one degree of seperation, and b) I receive a notorized letter of recommendation from said swing man. Laughing

I believe the second week is the same week I'll be in the area. Exact day is up in the air. If you want to meet up that would be fine. But can't guarantee one degree and won't get a notary. But many know me or have met me in the forums. Let the jokes begin??
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK- I just stumbled upon this-

1. I am honored that a cache of ours was even nominated- thank you.

2. You are right- it isn't about the containers- it is about the hike and scenery.

3. I checked with my supervisor this morning- it is not illegal to Mt.bike the Bass Lake Trail- it has been done. It is not in the BWCA. There are designated bike trails that are safer and she advised against it because it is so rugged. If you do bike it- she asks that you please stay on the trail and don't short cut the switchbacks as is being done because it is causing an erosional problem.

4. We would do all 3 caches in a circular pattern- starting with Bass Lake Vista- proceeding to the Dry Lake Trail and then the Falls and out. or reverse it. (Falls, Dry Lake, Vista -out) either way the blueberries will be ripe- eat by the hand full or bring a pail- also the June berries (service berries/Indian plums) will also be out- they are scrumpcious- but only pick and eat them if you recognize them.

5. Will look forward to your logs-
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We put the falls in the middle.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be in the area this weekend. I'll do my best to get the family out. Blueberries will give me mucho negotiating power.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: