MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Restrictions on geocaches in SE Minn?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SunnyTheDog
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:15 am    Post subject: Restrictions on geocaches in SE Minn? Reply with quote

We are thinking of attempting to place our first geocache somewhere in SE Minn. I know that state parks are forbidden, but what do people do concerning county/local parks and wildlife areas, do they always check with the local authorities first? For instance, there are several geocaches in Chesterwoods, Oxbow and Quarry hill in and around Rochester. Did people check with authorities there first, before placing caches in the parks Question
bobhiker
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Geocaching!
Working with local parks is a lot of work and not easy at all. Our group came into being as a result of my trying to get permission to put one in a state park and finding out from a ranger that it had just become a banned activity.
We came together and started working with local bigger parks in the metro area and we now have policy developed in three of our biggest parks. The biggest being Three Rivers Parks District in Hennepin County, which to my knowledge is the biggest park district in the state. Since the policy was developed, cachers have removed noncompliant caches and have abided by the policy 100%. With this cooperation rate I am sure this activity will continue to be welcome in these participating parks and our work with them is a success.
We have found that smaller parks are not really interested in developing policy unless geocaching becomes a problem. It is good to let them know about the activity, educate them on the benefits of this activity, and maybe just let the local police know about the activity just in case someone reports a suspisious ammo box (so they do not call out the bomb squad, which has happened.)
Good luck, and let us know how it goes. Laughing
Realtorfh
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Olmsted County Reply with quote

Very Happy I e-mailed the local Park & Rec department for Rochester. They replied that they have only recieved a couple of these types of questions over the last few years. Thier position on the subject is that as long as we do not have to bring shovels & picks to locate a cache it is just fine with them. They do not need to know where it is. If we respect the parks they will respect the game/sport.

Happy hunting

RealtorFH
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW ! How cool is that? The city of Owatonna (my wife's hometown) should be so cool.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Olmsted County Reply with quote

Realtorfh wrote:
Thier position on the subject is that as long as we do not have to bring shovels & picks to locate a cache it is just fine with them.

So medallion hunting is out, eh? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Southern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: