MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

arghhhhh
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: arghhhhh Reply with quote

I totally dislike this "discover" a travel bug- fine- discover it but don't tell me, the bug owner- it means nothing- travel bugs were meant to be moved. I just want to be notified that they have traveled to another cache. Thanks for letting me vent- I just reached my limit of "discovered" notifications this morning. I know that is how it is set up- but I, myself, only move the bugs. If I discover one in a cache I move it or not depending on its size and what my plan is - not into numbers- caches or bugs-
Smiling duo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sentiments exactly! I hate this discover thing also. I only log a coin or travel bug in a cache, if I move it. And what I really dislike, is the pages that are at events of coins to discover - they just write down the numbers and off they go - sometimes without even really looking at the coins. Who thought this was a good thing? Alright, now I've vented also.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be a good thing to bring this up in the national forums. I think it'd be a nice feature to be able to lock "Discovered" logs off of a traveler if the owner wishes.

That being said, I'm guilty of discovering things, however I normally check the traveler's page first to see if the owner is okay with it.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I hear from some cachers is that they are tired of their coins disappearing from caches never to be seen again and some only buying them to keep and show others. I have only sent two coins out into the wild and one TB and will wait to see how they do. I only try to discover coins from the owner of the coin and only discover TB that I see and don't take from caches as a way to let the owner know it is still out there. I like KC0RGN's idea of possibly a lock on the discoved if the owner wants it that way.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnesotabrad wrote:
I only try to discover coins from the owner of the coin and only discover TB that I see and don't take from caches as a way to let the owner know it is still out there.

As a bug/coin owner I would much prefer my bugs move, but it is very nice to see that it is still out there when it isn't being moved.

I have also found the discovered option to reduce coin theft. I have had 2 coins that were not checked out of caches but suddenly were being discovered at events. So I renamed them as Stolen? and checked them into the event. That took care of the problem.

Personally I don't discover bugs. If I find one in a cache I move it even if it is only 5 miles away. I believe TB's are separate from cache swag. TB's are meant to be moved.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that TB's were meant to be moved. That's why some TB "hotels" rub me the wrong way. A requirement limiting the number of TB's taken from a cache restricts the movement of the TB's and makes the cache a TB jail instead. That's why I ignore that requirement. If you want a cache to be TB friendly make it large and convenient. For example, check out GCPTQX.
Bad_CRC
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a problem with it.

seems to me that if someone is going to move a tb, they are going to move it, if they aren't, they aren't.

I'd rather have them log a discovered than take it from a cache and hold it for a month only to put it back in a cache a few feet away.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own several coins that I don't send out, and the ability for other cachers to "Discover" them, means that they get the icon, and don't have to check the coin out of the cache/event then drop it again. When we didn't have the Discovered option, extra steps kept taking place, and people often forgot to log coins back in, so they were in that cachers inventory, yet they didn't physically have the coin.

I don't think the discover option makes much sense for most travel bugs (zoejams cache me if you can is an exception), but for coins, it makes a lot of sense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't allow "discovered" logs on my last remaining TB. I noted that on the TB page and happily delete any logs that are discovered.

Not a problem for me.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
I own several coins that I don't send out, and the ability for other cachers to "Discover" them, means that they get the icon, and don't have to check the coin out of the cache/event then drop it again. When we didn't have the Discovered option, extra steps kept taking place, and people often forgot to log coins back in, so they were in that cachers inventory, yet they didn't physically have the coin.

Yes, if the discover option were turned off, then people would grab/drop and that would be more error prone. If that option were available, I think it would be unwise to use it. Don't give people another way to mess up the tracking. Better to delete the discovery log after the user has lost the code. Smile

I don't see the point in discovering TB's unless they are remarkable in some way. But I discover coins often. I don't see the point in disallowing discoveries either; at least it lets you know that the TB is still there.
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of discovering a TB or Coin at a cache, not at an event. It is nice to know that the TB still exists. We've all seen TBs go missing, its nice to see where the TB is if it hasn't moved for some time.
The other problem is with the proliferation of TBs. I've been trying to unload some TBs that I picked up on a trip but every cache has TBs in it now. I'll do a TB swap, but if there are more than one TB in a cache then I leave the other TBs behind and usually note the number just to let the TB owner know that his TB is still there. I have no desire to be carrying around 8 pounds of TB's.
A different problem is that I loose track of where I drop things. I try to keep good notes, but sometimes when I'm on a walk I'll hit a series of caches and forget which cache I dropped a bug and even forget that I dropped a bug at all. With a discover option the TB owner at least knows what happened to his bug.
I do like the idea of a bug owner being able to block discovered logs. It can be a pain to get a mitt full of logs of your coin being discovered at an event. I still haven't figured out the rationale behind that.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
I don't see the point in disallowing discoveries either; at least it lets you know that the TB is still there.

To each their own.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
To each their own.

My thoughts exactly. I guess that goes for a lot of stuff in the caching world Cool
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for anyone that doesn't like to see "discovered" logs, there's always the option of setting up a filter on the front end...in Outlook or Outlook Express it'd take just a couple clicks of the mouse to filter any message with "[GEO]" and "discovered" in the subject line straight to the bit bucket, that way you'd never see 'em. I use a web interface to an IMAP server, but can do the same thing there as well - just a thought?

Personally, I prefer a discovery log to the "old" system, where people would "retrieve" then "drop" one of my coins into the same cache - this way I get half the mail. I have a fair number of coins out there circulating, and even a discovery log lets me know the coin is at least still alive...

-Ken
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm- i'll try that- Sounds like it is a good idea to discover coins- but we aren't into those- just want my bugs to move and if I have a problem with one not being moved for say- 6 months- I contact the person who has it or the cach owner and ask them what is going on or ask the cache owner to let me know if the bug is in the cache the next time he/she does maintenance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: