MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Three Rivers Park District 50th Anniversary

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Three Rivers Park District 50th Anniversary Reply with quote

Three Rivers is celebrating their 50th this summer. Among other things, they would like to include geocaching in their celebration plans. The person at Three Rivers who reviews permits for cache placement (Marlene) is asking us if we have suggestions for that. I know she'll be contacting Surfer Joe about one particular idea that may or may not be allowed under Groundspeak rules. She was wondering about other interest gathering ideas that would appeal to geocachers. She mentioned tokens or coins in a cache container that could be brought to the park office for ??? (I didn't understand that part, maybe redeemed for a bumper sticker or something?). I think she'd like geocoins, but with the time frame and the need to remain non-profit, that may be a stretch.

Anyway, she's looking for suggestions to incorporate geocaching into their celebration plans. Marlene and her boss have been very helpful in developing the current, more geocaching friendly, policy at Three Rivers. I hope we'll be able to come up with suggestions that will be interesting to us geocachers, to regular (non geocacher) park visitors, and to Three Rivers employees.

Random notes:
She said that they have acquired about 30 Garmin GPSrs. They use them for a geocaching class that one of their employees teaches. Evidently, they had a class in March or April that filled up (30?). She thought they'd be having another class late this summer.

The big celebration day (culminating the summer of celebration) is late in the summer (I already forgot when, but it was either late late August or in September). It's going to be in Clifton French park. I offered to place a cache or two or ?? if that helps. I also said I'd walk their web person through the online cache submission form. Three Rivers will likely "own" one or more caches for several months this summer as part of this celebration.

I know VERY LITTLE about geocoins or wooden nickels or buttons or whatever, so if things like this are possible for them, maybe you could offer suggestions along those lines.

I asked Marlene to join as a forum user so she could engage in, or at least look at any discussion we have on this topic.

Thanks!
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd look forward to participating in any geocaching related events they're planning, as I'm always game for anything official/unofficial in the geocaching realm. Hopefully we can hear bout the plans beforehand so there can be a good turnout.

Regarding tokens, wooden nickels might be their best bet. Usually they're cheaper to make and given the fact this will just be around in the summer they shouldn't have much of an issue with the longevity.
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Three Rivers Park District 50th Anniversary Reply with quote

Paklid wrote:
Random notes:
She said that they have acquired about 30 Garmin GPSrs. They use them for a geocaching class that one of their employees teaches. Evidently, they had a class in March or April that filled up (30?). She thought they'd be having another class late this summer.

Interesting...any idea if they rent the GPS units out? That'd be a great idea, I"d think. Then, if folks ask you about geocaching and what it's all about, you could send them to the TRP district and they could try it first hand without dropping the cash for a GPS first.
TheCollector
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live close to these parks and can help with anything i know the Wooden nickel side very well and could help them with that its inexpensive and we can get them a quality nickel so if you want to send them my way for that type of stuff i can help them with that.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Three Rivers Park District 50th Anniversary Reply with quote

Paklid wrote:
I think she'd like geocoins, but with the time frame and the need to remain non-profit, that may be a stretch.

That's funny Laughing
Currently on the Alvin's Phone line coins I am down $800.
I think that would qualify for non-profit.
Just think about Centris who has HUNDREDS (yes plural) of ExMN and KB coins left at her purchase price of $6-$7 (?) a coin.
The days of selling 1000 non-icon, non-trackable non-icon coins for about double what you paid for them are long over.

As far as a geocoin lead time, Rusty at personal geocoins can turn geocoins in about 3-4 weeks.

I think one of the best deals on the web for wooden nickels can be found here.

http://www.ituit.com/100-wooden-nickelsbrlow-quantity-special-offer-p-23.html?osCsid=7e47436ac69d05b95f61659bee69266e
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: