MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wood and Rope Ladder
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Wood and Rope Ladder Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I could buy a really long rope ladder? Everything I saw online through a bit of searching wasn't long enough. I could build my own and make it to whatever length I wanted, but I'm a bit too lazy for this Cool I'm looking specifically for a very narrow 40-50 foot wood & rope ladder which may or may not be used for caching purposes.

bflentje made a great ladder; it got me thinking of some fun things I could do with it. You can blame him now. Razz

Last edited by LucidOndine on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your question, no.

Remember if you do this, and it's left in an outdoor location, that many ropes will rot if not properly stored over time. You likely won't realize that it's being used past it's breaking point until after it breaks. Which isn't cool if you're at the 40' mark when it happens.

While doing tower work we had a rope break and drop a tower section about 70'. It landed where a guy was standing less than three seconds before (I don't think he hit the ground from leaping away when the section 'arrived'). He would have been killed without a doubt if he hadn't moved. That alone reminds me of rope and safety.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rope wouldn't be used for permanent placement and would most likely reside in my trunk.
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
To answer your question, no.

Remember if you do this, and it's left in an outdoor location, that many ropes will rot if not properly stored over time. You likely won't realize that it's being used past it's breaking point until after it breaks. Which isn't cool if you're at the 40' mark when it happens.

That was my concern on this cache.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Wood and Rope Ladder Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
Does anyone know where I could buy a really long rope ladder? Everything I saw online through a bit of searching wasn't long enough. I could build my own and make it to whatever length I wanted, but I'm a bit too lazy for this Cool I'm looking specifically for a very narrow 40-50 foot wood & rope ladder which may or may not be used for caching purposes.

Bflentje made a great ladder; it got me thinking of some fun things I could do with it. You can blame him now. Razz

The rope ladder I made is 30' and took three to four hours if you don't count the trip to REI. Of course I went overboard and routed all of the edges and urethaned the wood. I used 1x2 red oak for the rungs and picked up climbing grade static rope to hold up my weight. 100' of rope cost me about $75 plus about $30 for the oak. Definately not something I'll be leaving out. Although, I originally designed it for a cache. I decided after the cost that I didn't want to be building another one after it was stolen.

I looked into fire escape ladders but I could not get one long enough that was in a single piece.

I cheaper alternative to the rope is to use 1/4" or 3/8" wrapped cable. I may end up making one out of that for the cache since the cable is only $7 at Menards. Now, if only I had the time.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have decided over my lunch break to build my own. Here is how I envision it working:

Probably will be quite inexpensive. I had way too much fun drawing those pictures. Cool
MN_Cavepeople
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably want to make sure that whatever you build can support the weight of two people...ya know Wink
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfft-- one person ladder. Everyone else go build yer own! Laughing
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you get rope with the correct tensile strength for safe climbing. I chose to use real climbing rope rather than the $5/100' special at Home Depot. I wanted to make sure the rope wasn't the weak spot. That's where majority of my cost came from. Then, I assembled it in a way where I did not cut the entire 100' length so I can always take it apart and still keep the rope for future climbing (asperations).

My next ladder will be assembled of cable and aluminum rungs. Planning stages now. Although, the price of aluminum now, someone might steal the ladder just to recycle it. Sigh.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5savages wrote:
That was my concern on this cache.

I didn't share your concern about rotting, but certainly about the trip down. Thankfully I didn't take it, only Moe did Wink

http://gallery.lazylightning.org/gc-20040207

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=dd9a0934-76d0-42a3-81de-d0fadfa2971a
FlagFinder
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Wood and Rope Ladder Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:

bflentje made a great ladder; it got me thinking of some fun things I could do with it. You can blame him now. Razz

you could go without the ladder muhahaha Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Wood and Rope Ladder Reply with quote

FlagFinder wrote:
LucidOndine wrote:

you could go without the ladder muhahaha Twisted Evil

Wut kolr iz da ski?
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 inch helically wound tublular webbing is almost indestructible and weathers quite well. I have seen anchors on Devil's Tower that have been there for years that are more than up to the job.
Webbing is rated at 4000 pounds, doesn't stretch and is extremely cut resistent. The cost is approx 35 per foot. I wouldn't build a rope ladder out of anything else.
onionpond
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EskoClimber wrote:
[ I wouldn't build a rope ladder out of anything else.]

The man climbs rocks for fun, I guess I'd listen to him.
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MN_Cavepeople wrote:
You'll probably want to make sure that whatever you build can support the weight of two people...ya know Wink

I know funny, and THAT'S FUNNY! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Buy / Sell / Trade All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: