MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cool Utility for Autorouting Garmins using MetroGuide

View previous topic :: View next topic  
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Cool Utility for Autorouting Garmins using MetroGuide Reply with quote

I recently had a chance to get a new Legend Cx at a decent price. A quick check of Garmin's site told me it uses microSD cards and came with a 64MB card installed. Having used a plain ol' Legend for 2 years, I've gotten pretty annoyed with reloading maps every time I go to different parts of the state (which I do fairly regularly with my job).

What I didn't do, though, was my normal detailed, thorough analysis (often resulting in analysis paralysis unfortunately) and only after I bought it did I find out that the autorouting feature does not work with the MetroGuide software.

I was starting to think I"d have to drop another $100 or so for City Navigator, but then I found this sweet little program:

Metroguide Wizard

Evidently Mapsource strips the autorouting details from the maps before downloading to your GPS. What MW does is capture the index file that Mapsource creates, then stops Mapsource from uploading the maps. You then use MW to upload the maps, including the autorouting details.

I tried it today and it worked! MW is even free!

The website says you can include other maps such as topos, but that didn't work for me. It only worked when I just used the Metroguide maps.

One thing though...the maps that MW sends to your GPS will be about 40% larger than what Mapsource tells you, since it's including all the autorouting data.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My version of Metroguide works fine with autorouting on my 76CS and I believe it worked fine with sir_zman's 76CSx. Maybe in the newest versions of Mapsource they prevent you from sending autorouting information like they did in the past?

If anything, revert to the older versions and it will continue to work.
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read, Metroguide Version 4 was the last version that did autorouting. I have version 6 so I would have been SOL.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, I have 3. I wasn't aware that they continued to update Metroguide after that. Thanks for the info!
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're up to version 8 now.
FlagFinder
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im using metroguide version 5 but the files are in .mps form and i need .gdb for the autorouting to work so how do i convert the two any sites would youy recommend.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you doing a "Save" or a "Save As"? If you select your maps, then click on "File" > "Save As", what are the choices for file format?
FlagFinder
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it offers .mps and all files with a *.* but i know the older versions of mapsoarce use .mps i know i can convert the waypoints, tracks, and routes to .gdb through gpsvisualizer but not the map thats why im asking is there is a site i can do this convert to the map
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with that version and I don't know of any site that can convert that. sorry.

Last edited by 5savages on Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
FlagFinder
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for trying, does anyone else here know?
FlagFinder
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i found out how to change the format of the maps. first you save them to your gps. then you get them back from your gps and they are in the .gdb format and can be used next you have to open mapsoarce but not through metro wizz but manually then hit send the maps to your gps while uploading hit abort and metro wizz will let you to the next step now how long does this take to load?
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you send the Metroguide maps to your GPS, it strips off the routing info. Therefore, if you get the maps off the GPS and back to your PC (and i have no idea how you would do that), there is no routing information there no matter what format you save it under.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: