MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why do I even bother?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Why do I even bother? Reply with quote

Just received this email today. Out of courtesy I'm withholding the name.

Quote:
"Hey!!

Thanks for being lazy and forgetting to log you visit to *cache name omitted*. Stopped by there this morning (in the rain) to grab the Jeep, but unfortunately you (and Geometrix?) found the cache yesterday, signed the cache log (forgetting to mention that you took the Jeep) and then decided that it was not important enough to log your visit (and the fact that you have the Jeep) on the website. Thanks a lot!! Wish we had more people like you in the sport that think tracking trackables is unimportant."

I fully intended to log said jeep, but after a day of caching, mostly I just wanted to relax. The way I've seen it, geocaching is supposed to be a leisurely thing to do, something to get away from the hectic pace of the week. Apparently that is no longer the case. I have full intentions of doing my logs when I get home from work.

I admit complete fault for not logging said jeep in the logbook at the cache, geomatrix didn't know the proper etiquette and I didn't know he hadn't written that in the logbook. I also admit I'm a lazy, worthless cacher that doesn't know how to play the game.

However, this represents what trackables have come to, it used to be something fun in addition to caching, over the past couple years it's just gotten out of hand with jeeps and custom trackable coins and the like.

2 weeks ago I got an email from an out of state cacher demanding to know what happened to their travelbug that I dropped off in a cache 6 months ago.

I'm sick of it. From now on, I'm only logging "Discovered it" logs. I'm not touching any trackables, only logging that I saw them in a cache, if I remember to write the tracking number down. Tell me I don't play fair and don't deserve icons all you want. Call me a cheat, a liar, a lazy cacher, maybe a worthless human being too while you're at it. I've tried to play a fair game, one that wasn't competitive, just for fun, but I can see that's no longer the case, and I might as well step out of it before I get more emails like this.

I've never once boasted ANY of my caching stats, and I can see now why I would NEVER want to.

Sorry for not being more punctual, and for the bad etiquette.

Please, send me all the flame mail you like, the rest go in the trash. I've resolved my issues and I won't cause any trouble to the way you play your game anymore.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that had to happen to you KCOGRN... its a different game to everyone.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang in there man and don't let people like this get you down. Heck I was gone for two weeks with bugs and coins and I am NOW just starting to log thier journeys. If one doesn't like that.....too darn bad!
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I didn't think every cacher is like that. I don't even blame the people emailing, I expect they're just frustrated cause they went out to a cache and didn't find it up to date, which I honestly am sorry about, I've been there before too.

Still, I've dealt with emails like it before and it's gotten old quickly. Honestly I do what I can when I can, and that's all I can do. People would see things alot differently if they could see what other people go through in a day.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamoCacher wrote:
Hang in there man and don't let people like this get you down. Heck I was gone for two weeks with bugs and coins and I am NOW just starting to log thier journeys. If one doesn't like that.....too darn bad!

HEH

Elessa has been traveling everywhere. Thanks!
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Why do I even bother? Reply with quote

[quote="KC0GRN"]Just received this email today. Out of courtesy I'm withholding the name.

Quote:
"Hey!!

Thanks for being lazy and forgetting to log you visit to *cache name omitted*. Stopped by there this morning (in the rain) to grab the Jeep, but unfortunately you (and Geometrix?) found the cache yesterday, signed the cache log (forgetting to mention that you took the Jeep) and then decided that it was not important enough to log your visit (and the fact that you have the Jeep) on the website. Thanks a lot!! Wish we had more people like you in the sport that think tracking trackables is unimportant."

Hey now ...

Stopped by in the rain on my way to work to grab the Green Jeep

Dude, the jeep was dropped on Saturday. You should have rushed out in the warm sunny vibes.

1. You would have gotten your precious jeep.
2. Sun does wonders for hyperactivity. It's groovy man.

-Peace
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, tell them to pound sand. I've gone on week+ caching trips and not even started logging until after I got home, took care of the house and even did my laundry. I'll log when I'm darn good and ready to. It's my log not theirs.

You did nothing wrong and your being kind for taking the verbal. Me personally, I don't take that but who would have guess that right.

Play the game the way you want to, to your own standards and not someone elses. We all play it the way we want to. Some have more patient then others. Log what you want, when you want.

Besides, if your chasing caches just for the TBs inside, you had better expect not to find them. It's part of the game as well.

Keep it up the way you want.
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let jerks affect your enjoyment of life. If you let them get to you, you've just given them control over a little bit of you.

Cleary this person takes jeeps far too seriously. Clearly this person takes geocaching far too seriously.

Not every one has wireless access for logging from the field. On trips it may take a week or so to get things logged. "Missing" trackables are a fact of life. THAT person needs to take a break from trackables, not you.

I'm not sure what logging the jeep out in the logbook at the cache would have done for him. He'd still be wet and jeepless. I don't write in the logbook that I've take a TB...am I supposed to? If I find a cache and the cache page says there's a trackable in there but I don't see it, I just assume someone grabbed it and handn't logged it yet. I don't go looking through the log to see who grabbed it...I wouldn't care.

Delete that email without a second thought. Enjoy the hobby and leave that person in their own, self-induced misery.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Why do I even bother? Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
Just received this email today. Out of courtesy I'm withholding the name.

Hey, I correctly guessed who it was! Yay! Smile
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats... but it's tough to fool the puzzle master, heh.
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
Besides, if your chasing caches just for the TBs inside, you had better expect not to find them. It's part of the game as well.

Keep it up the way you want.

Ditto from me!!!! I can't tell you how many times I have been skunked in my geo-lifetime. Rolling Eyes Whoever it is will get over it. It's all part of the game.

I've had my share of TBug skunker hate mail as well (and survived it!) -- just blow it off. Really!!!
(but feel free to blow off steam about it anyway Wink)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it KC0GRN. At least you don't keep people's coins for months.. I'm sure that Mystery Person disapproves of that too. Wink
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a whole lot easier when you don't log Jeeps or coins Wink
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
CamoCacher wrote:

HEH

Elessa has been traveling everywhere. Thanks!

Your Welcome!
former hawkeye
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even have a home computer-so I do all my home logging at the public library or heaven forbid-at work. Its' even harder when I'm on a road trip-I now own a Johnson County Kansas library card. I spent a whole hour just putting in finds on a vacation day this spring. When I'm lucky I stay at a motel that has a business center. I'm saving up my money to get a laptop, but my dumb cars keep eating my loot. So I know it can be a hassle and sometimes this "granny" even forgets to write down if I left my mini-pen or pencil in the cache. I'm better at remembering if I took anything-which is rare.

I own 7 tb's and I have only sent 1 pm to a person asking them after a couple of months if they would kindly place my bug back in circulation.
I would say 99% of people are trying to play the game right. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: