MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Offloading groups of caches from GPS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Offloading groups of caches from GPS Reply with quote

Is there an easy way to selectively delete groups of caches from a Garmin GPS?

When I travel to different cities, I'll create a new GSAK database, and then upload all the caches for that zip code. But in the GPS, they simply merge with the other waypoints, and the GPS waypoint management options are Delete One, or Delete All.

How do you all migrate different groups of caches on and off your GPS?

I've also noticed that when you upload FROM the GPS to GSAK, it loses the state ID, which is unfortunate...
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which gps are you using?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin 76CSx

Supporting programs - GSAK & Cachemate
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Offloading groups of caches from GPS Reply with quote

ghost640 wrote:
Is there an easy way to selectively delete groups of caches from a Garmin GPS?

Only if the group of caches are grouped by a particular symbol. Find>Waypoints>Menu>Delete by symbol...

Otherwise, if you attach your GPSr to a laptop and upload all waypoints into your waypoint manager, delete waypoints on your GPSr, and resend, it is possible. Not cute or easy.
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lucid - I was hoping for cuter or easier, but I think you're right on this. I wish they'd let you get to the system files.

One good piece of news - I thought the limit was 500 waypoints, which I'm bumping up against - it's actually 1000. I'm good for awhile.

I could delete my finds, but it's nice to see all those the little open boxes...
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One option is to load up the caches as Points of Interests, rather than waypoints.

Using the Garmin POI Loader, you can load as many caches as you want (we're talkin' 10s of thousands here), and partition them as separate databases.

using GSAK, you can even download other information such as hints, cache types, TB info, etc. I've got the Legend Cx and I believe it has 132 character field available for other info.

Doing this, you can load up by different region, state, or whatever, and separate them into different databases in your GPS based on the categories you select.

When you're on the road, no resupply of waypoint are necessary. Actually, with a virtually limitless supply of custom POI, you don't really need to split them up by region, but it's an option.

If you're interested, let me know and I'll post the steps I use to do this.
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Offloading groups of caches from GPS Reply with quote

ghost640 wrote:
I've also noticed that when you upload FROM the GPS to GSAK, it loses the state ID, which is unfortunate...

This is because your GPS does not have a separate field for state info. It's stripped when you send the waypoints to your GPS.
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the Garmin POI Loader Software.
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested - please post the steps on how to do this (bet you saw that coming!)

I did download POIFactory a week or so ago, after one of the discussions here (Twins baseball radio stations), but haven't had the chance to work with it.
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured you would, but I didn't post it right away because I"m at work and don't have my GPS with me to test the steps to make sure I'm giving false directions.

The Twins Radio Network file you got is only the .csv file, which is what POI Loader sends to your GPS. On its own, it wont' do anything. You can open it in spreadsheet program or text editor to see how it's built...pretty simple stuff. I created that one in about 10 minutes.

In GSAK, you must save the file in .gpx format, which is the other format POI Loader can handle. With the version I linked to, to get separate databases, you name the file the same as you want the database name to be. Then use POI Loader to transfer to the GPS, then put the GPS into USB Storage Mode (Under settings) and go into the file structure and rename the poi.gpi file as something you'll remember, such as TwinsRadio.gpi

Then upload the next file, and so on. IF you don't rename the file, it will get overwritten. IT doesn't matter what you call it...the name of the database is tied to the name of the original file. So if the file on your PC is Twins.csv, then you upload and rename it TwinsRadio.gpi, when you get into the custom POI in your GPS, that database will be called "Twins"

Once you get that done, go to your find menu, then Custom Points of Interest, and it will list the closest POI from ALL databases. Click the lower left button (Menu?) and you'll have the option selecting your POI database. If you only have one database in the GPS, you wont' see this option.

There's a beta version of POI Loader that will allow the separate databases directly, but I haven't tried it yet.

You can also do this directly to your microSD card in a card reader...no GPS need be connected.

I still load up waypoints for caches in the area, but I've loaded the entire state as POI's in case I have to go out of town on short notice.

I guess I pretty much stepped it all out anyway. If you have any other questions, let me know.
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5savages - this is great - thanks for taking the time! (It explains why I don't see those radio stations) I'll give it a try.

How did you come up with the whole state in a POI database? That seems like a really useful thing...
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghost640 wrote:
5savages - this is great - thanks for taking the time! (It explains why I don't see those radio stations) I'll give it a try.

How did you come up with the whole state in a POI database? That seems like a really useful thing...

Using the Pocket Queries from geocaching.com, I get updates on all caches in the state every week. I then export a gpx file from GSAK for use as a POI database. I recall that in the screen where you set up the name of the waypoint or POI, there's a field for comments. I set GSAK up to put the hints in there. I think the code is %hint . What I'll probably do next time is set it up to put as much of the cache description as possible in there.

One other thing I do with GSAK that I find handy is to set it up so the name of the waypoint tells me the size of cache, type of cache, and difficulty/terrain rating. I follow that with the "smartname" or whatever they call it, and limit it all the the number of characters my GPS can handle. The type, size, difficulty, and terrain all take just 1 character each, so on my Legend, it leaves 6 characters for the smartname, and on my Legend Cx I think it leaves 10 characters.

A one character field for the ratings can get confusing...it uses 1 for 1, 2 for 1.5, 3 for 2, 4 for 2.5...etc.

Fer instance, If a cache s a regular container, Traditional type, with a 2/5 rating, the first 4 characters would be RT39xxxxxx. A multi micro 1/2 would be MM13xxxxxx

POI can be frustrating in the respect that they don't pop up on your screen until you're zoomed way in, and they don't list the name unless you hover over the dot, as I recall. That's why I still use waypoints locally, but have the POI available for any hint that I might need. On the other hand, they don't clutter the screen when you're using the GPS just for regular ol' navigation.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5savages wrote:
Using the Pocket Queries from geocaching.com, I get updates on all caches in the state every week. I then export a gpx file from GSAK for use as a POI database.

Finally got around to trying it.. This is a great idea! Thanks!!

Quote:
POI can be frustrating in the respect that they don't pop up on your screen until you're zoomed way in, and they don't list the name unless you hover over the dot, as I recall. That's why I still use waypoints locally, but have the POI available for any hint that I might need. On the other hand, they don't clutter the screen when you're using the GPS just for regular ol' navigation.

This might be just perfect. The screen clutter is annoying. The metro usually looks like a big blob... I can't see any of the streets.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still experimenting with this some while trying to understand more of the features of my GPS at the same time...

I managed to load a couple of POI databases. When I go to Custom POIs, then hit menu and select db, I can see the two dbs I loaded ("found still active" and "mn active not found").

What I would like to do now is make them appear on the map. Is that possible?
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I managed to load a couple of POI databases. ...

What I would like to do now is make them appear on the map. Is that possible?

Go to the map, select Menu | Setup Map

Go to the Map Points screen and change the Map Points setting from Auto to another setting -- say 5 miles. Doing so should allow you to see your custom POI points that are within 5 miles.

The default is for the custom POIs to show only when you are very close -- I forget the exact distance, but only a few hundred yards.

There appear to be some differences in exactly how this works in different software versions. I have version 3.30. YMMV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: