MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wildlife management area etc

View previous topic :: View next topic  
seldon
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: wildlife management area etc Reply with quote

Recently I had a couple of new cache placements denied because no new caches are being permitted in Wildlife Management Areas, SNAs and AMAs. Can anything be done to get the person or people in charge to change this at the DNR? Hiking is encouraged in these areas, hunting in some, even eating edible plants! These are some of the only large areas still available around here to place new caches in, and having them welcoming to hikers but not cachers makes no sense to me.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MnGCA is actively working to reverse this. It's a long, slow process with no guaranteed results.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a forum search for WMA, SNA and AMA to find the latest post about those areas. You'll find pages of posts to read.

http://www.mngca.org/forum/search.php?mode=results&search_keywords=WMA
Da Bloodhound
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This "problem" with the WMA does not have to do with who may access the areas but more with what may (in this case may NOT) be left unattended in these areas.
According to my DNR sources the State Legislature mandated rules that state no private property may be left in these areas for any reason. This is to prevent deer stands, duck blinds, boats and decoys to be placed on these public grounds and waterways.
It would appear the best approach would be for the mngca to approach some local State Legislators to write an ammendment to the original legislation exempting a specific description of geocaching containers.
The risk here is all the other groups of users and potential users, are going to line up asking for exemptions on their activity. With that in mind convincing a Legislator to champion this cause may be difficult.
These spaces would be wonderful to be able to use but don't hold your breath. Confused
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wildlife Division of the DNR has the ability to change the rules to allow containers to be placed. It's not an easy or short process, but they have the ability to make it happen (without legislation). They do have many more concerns than just the property being left on WMA lands though. I agree with the thought that the prognosis for widespread adoption of geocaching on WMA lands isn't very good. There's a better chance that it might be allowed on some outlying WMA properties that are in areas that don't have other more traditional geocache placing opportunities (i.e., and area without abundant public parks or forests). I don't know how likely even that scenario is though.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Bloodhound wrote:
It would appear the best approach would be for the mngca to approach some local State Legislators.

I agree with this statement and I think it is something the MnGCA should look into while following any other leads it may have also. We have to emphasize that geocaching is a valuable sport/hobby. I would suggest that the managers of the land could submit the caches with the help (if needed) of the MnGCA. This would eliminate the need to change the rules since I am sure it is legal for the land managers to leave property in WMA's etc. I see signs and other things in areas like this.
Da Bloodhound
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting point of view, Merkman. Perhaps the caches we want to place on WMA lands could be donated to MN DNR then they would own them and be responsible for the cache placement and not be hindered by the current rules we must follow. BUT, I highly doubt that would fly either as the area land managers and their staff are overburdened with the day to day operations of these areas now.
I think trying to get the local folks to go against the status quo with regards to current rules might be like trying to push a rope-not very likely to return favorable results.
Find some legislators and talk to them. This might help.
DB

TFTC SL isn't an acceptable log
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to consider contributing to the discussion here:

Arrow http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2785

That thread, in the Member's area of the forum, is the one the board uses for guidance as things progress.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Bloodhound wrote:
According to my DNR sources the State Legislature mandated rules that state no private property may be left in these areas for any reason. This is to prevent deer stands, duck blinds, boats and decoys to be placed on these public grounds and waterways.

The exception to this rule is traps, some of them can be left in the WMAs for months at a time. See pages 42-43 of the 2007 Hunting & Trapping regulations book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: