MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eden Prairie Caching policy (complete!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I filled out a permit form for Great Cache Areas - Life of Riley but I wanted to doublecheck if this is a legal hiding spot since it is in Riley Lake Park but caches are not allowed in these areas:
Riley - Jacques Homestead
Riley Jacques Farmstead

The hiding spot is on the opposite side of the trail and nowhere near the house, so I assume it is ok but I wanted to see what others thought.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.83858+-93.51352
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Lake Riley Reply with quote

Their intent was to protect the barn (which is a historic property) and the Dorenkamper homestead (which actually has someone living in it). So I'm guessing elsewhere in the park will be fine with EP.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee let me think. Oh yea that's why we ask them. Cause our opinion and how we might interpret the policy doesn't really matter. If you think that your placement is within their guidelines, then submit it and see if they approve it. If your not sure, then I would suggest finding another spot.

On a more serious note. Dornole,

Do they have any type of accurate maps or boundary survey points that they could provide us that could be converted to make this eaiser?
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
Gee let me think. Oh yea that's why we ask them.

dornole, maybe there should be a notes field on the permit form?
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: EP Reply with quote

I don't think they probably have a survey of the non-allowable areas nor do I think it would be good to make things even more legalistic that they already are. Instead of banning the park entirely they are just asking for some judgement--stay away from the dude's house and from the barn. I don't know exactly how they'll interpret that--just trying to share what concerns were expressed in the meetings -- legal issues with historic structures, and potentially bothering a resident.

EP Parks can look at Google sat maps and have a pretty good idea where a cache is in relation to those structures. You could always attach a note to your submission saying you were't sure what is meant by "the homestead" and "barn" but you believe the cache to be well away from those structures and respectful of the historic properties.

I'll admit I liked things better when The Man was not involved -- who wouldn't? -- but I do think they'll make a good faith effort at approving. If you get a denial, GeoPierce, maybe post it here so we can clarify things. At least we can cache again in our hometown.
pippin and merry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Eden Prairie Cache Approvals Reply with quote

We are wondering if anyone is having difficulty getting caches approved in Eden Prairie. We submitted 4 caches for approval on September 4th and have not heard anything back. We've left a message without return phone call either. The first 2 caches we sent in for approval were approved right away, but now we've hit a road-block. We don't want to be a pest, but we'd really like to get these out before the breakfast buddies event.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Eden Prairie Cache Approvals Reply with quote

pippin and merry wrote:
We are wondering if anyone is having difficulty getting caches approved in Eden Prairie. We submitted 4 caches for approval on September 4th and have not heard anything back. We've left a message without return phone call either. The first 2 caches we sent in for approval were approved right away, but now we've hit a road-block. We don't want to be a pest, but we'd really like to get these out before the breakfast buddies event.

I also submitted my permit for my existing cache in Riley Lake Park almost 3 weeks ago and left a voicemail for Stu Fox this past week and didn't hear back from him either. I was hoping to place a few caches before BB too.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called and left another message for Stu. He didn't call me back but I got an email from him last night with my approved permit form.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to submit myself. I'd recommend email for followup or even to submit (I'm planning to send mine via pdf) so you don't get lost in the shuffle. Stu wears a lot of hats and there has been a big city budget to-do going on all fall that is making city staff's lives a misery.
pippin and merry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Caches Approved Reply with quote

We also got our caches approved last week. I hope it doesn't take a month each time we submit some for approval. It sounds like there will be several new caches in EP soon. This is great since the BB is at the end of the month.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I responded to the email when he approved my permit and said I would be submitting more and mentioned the grand re-opening and BB at the end of the month. Could someone from the committee contact him and possibly get him to agree to an acceptable timeframe for approving permits? I think within 2 weeks would be enough time.
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I don't know just how many caches the Eden Prairie cachers have planned, I would suspect that the initial rush of cache placements to go through the process is much greater than the norm will be (once things settle down). I hope that he doesn't get spooked by the number that are hitting him all at once, and I also hope that we can be a little extra patient during this transient period which will see a larger than normal number of submissions.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just emailed 2 to him and asked how long he thought it would/should take. I'd like to get in at least 2 more before BB pending my schedule and approvals.

Lucky for us Surfer Joe is so fast.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
I just emailed 2 to him and asked how long he thought it would/should take. I'd like to get in at least 2 more before BB pending my schedule and approvals.

Lucky for us Surfer Joe is so fast.

Let us know what he says. I don't know what is involved besides verifying the location is ok.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paklid wrote:
Though I don't know just how many caches the Eden Prairie cachers have planned, I would suspect that the initial rush of cache placements to go through the process is much greater than the norm will be (once things settle down). I hope that he doesn't get spooked by the number that are hitting him all at once, and I also hope that we can be a little extra patient during this transient period which will see a larger than normal number of submissions.

Well considering the fact that he freaked when he saw the limited number (7?) available on Navicache prior to the word getting out that Groundspeak even existed, I would suspect that the density would have been a concern.

Hopefully, with all the positive work that had been accomplished by the dedicated group of EP cachers we have here, he will have a slightly different outlook on the issue.

Good luck Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: