MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eden Prairie Caching policy (complete!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dornole,

Great work and thanks!
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great news. It underscores the notion that park administrators don't just look for ways to say NO. They take their responsibility seriously and work to protect our land resources while fulfilling their mission to provide recreational opportunities for the park users. Often, all they need from concerned cachers like Dornole is an explanation of what we're about and what kinds of policy would work well to give us the ability to hide and seek caches while protecting the land. It sounds like, together, you've developed something that will work well. Thanks.

I eagerly await the new Dornole cache placements. I love Dornole caches and hope to beat rickrich and you other FTF pretenders out in the southwest metro to the new Dornole offerings.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds very good Deb! Thanks to everyone involved in the process!
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Clairifications Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
Stu sort of looked at us (ok me--lucky me) to spread the word about the need to register. I think most local cachers are in the loop already.

I will also put the policy (or a link to it) on the MnGCA guidelines page as soon as it is made public. It doesn't sound like Surfer Joe will have a problem enforcing the policy and as usual, we will be good about making any issues known if a cache is found that doesn't follow the policy.
drat19
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will echo and amplify: This is great news and great work by Dornole and the rest of the EP gang. I'm proud to be a part-time resident and part of the EP caching community here.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Hooray, caching back in EP Parks (officially) Reply with quote

Hooray, the Parks Commission has passed a policy so now geocaching is allowed in Eden Prairie! The guidelines are below should you wish to start plotting (or to add them to the cache guidelines page/contact Surfer Joe).

The bad news is that the forms to register your hides are not yet available--but hopefully the wait will not be long.

Thanks to everyone who wrote letters, attended meetings etc--it will be nice to cache in our hometwon again.

Cheers--

dornole

Geocaching Guidelines within Eden Prairie Parks

1. Geocaching is permitted in specific parks and conservation areas of the City of Eden Prairie by permit.
2. Caches must be registered with the City of Eden Prairie Parks Department
3. Caches must have the name of the cache on the exterior
4. Park use hours apply to those hiding or seeking a cache
5. Caches may not be buried
6. Caches cannot contain items that are offensive or dangerous
7. Caches must be at least 1/10 mile or 528 feet apart
8. Unregistered caches will be removed by the City of Eden Prairie
9. The City of Eden Prairie reserves the right to remove caches that are causing undue impact on park habitat.
10. Caches are not permitted in play areas, beaches or dog parks
11. Caches will not be permitted in the following park areas:

E.P. Community Center
Edenwood Center
Birch Island Park
Flying Cloud Athletic Fields
Cummins-Grill Homestead
Riley - Jacques Homestead
Riley Jacques Farmstead
Cardinal Creek Conservation Area
Red Rock Conservation Area
Timber Creek Conservation Area

12. Caches within these Conservation Areas must be located within 25 feet of an established trail

Richard T. Anderson Area
Edenbrook Conservation Area
Mitchell Marsh Conservation Area
Prairie Bluff Conservation Area
Riley Creek Conservation Area
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Trail map Reply with quote

Also, EP has an awesome trail map (available at city hall) that I didn't know existed--very handy for locating new hide opps. : )
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you and congrats to dornole and everyone else that helped in this process. You all did a great job! Very Happy
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a ton better than I expected. Way to go and thanks for your hard work Smile
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A grand re-opening to cache EP/parks event is in the works. This will take place after caches have been re-activated and new ones are given the opportunity to be placed. The maps Dornole mentioned will be available at the event. I've worn mine out already! No date has been set since we haven't established a timeline for when the forms will be available and we want to give hiders a chance to get new ones placed and activated. It is tentatively planned for some time in August. Park sites are being considered. There will be a meet and greet, up-to-date listing of EP caches, and drawings. Donations gratefully accepted. PM me if you have any questions, suggestions, or donations! It was very interesting to be on the committee and I'm looking forward to seeing more of you in EP!
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work everyone! Funny that it doesn't say anything about nails in trees, which is how this got started.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great! Congratulations and thanks for all of the work you folks put into it!
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
A grand re-opening to cache EP/parks event is in the works. This will take place after caches have been re-activated and new ones are given the opportunity to be placed. The maps Dornole mentioned will be available at the event. I've worn mine out already! No date has been set since we haven't established a timeline for when the forms will be available and we want to give hiders a chance to get new ones placed and activated. It is tentatively planned for some time in August. Park sites are being considered. There will be a meet and greet, up-to-date listing of EP caches, and drawings. Donations gratefully accepted. PM me if you have any questions, suggestions, or donations! It was very interesting to be on the committee and I'm looking forward to seeing more of you in EP!

Count me in... Thanks for the hard work everyone!!!
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: EP Parks Cache registration!! Reply with quote

Geocaching policy was approved in EP Parks and individuals placing caches in EP Parks can now register their caches! You can read the cache placement guidelines and print the registration form here: http://www.edenprairie.org/vCurrent/live/article.asp?r=5084 Mail your completed form to the address on the form. Once your site is approved you can place your cache and submit it for publication on the geocaching.com website.

Thanks to everyone who worked to make this happen. I am proud to have been a part of it! Watch for upcoming information on a grand re-opening event for caching in EP in the Event section of the website!

edit by SB to fix URL
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Restore or archive EP hides Reply with quote

Looks like Breakfast Buddies will be in EP in October. Local cachers are working to get a bunch of hides ready.

A lot of caches still disabled right now -- it would be nice to either register and re-enable them or archive them (as I did 6 of mine) so new hiders can have at it.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: