MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eden Prairie Caching policy (complete!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article! They neglected to include details about a certain geocacher with no sense of balance stumbling around the Park's commission room. Cool
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
Great article! They neglected to include details about a certain geocacher with no sense of balance stumbling around the Park's commission room. Cool

They also left out the fact that I still have more cache finds than you even after you went to MOGA. Shocked Cool
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
They also left out the fact that I still have more cache finds than you even after you went to MOGA. Shocked Cool

They also left out the fact that you rarely get the kitchen pass anymore and everyone else is free to go when they please Wink
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
They also left out the fact that you rarely get the kitchen pass anymore and everyone else is free to go when they please Wink

Yes, they did leave that out but let's get back on topic. Very Happy
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Geocaching article EP News Reply with quote

EP News is going to run a geocaching story as well--they called yesterday and a newbie friend and I took a reporter out caching this morning & she took photos. So a little more caching publicity.

Have not heard about when Parks will meet with us re developing a policy but hope to soon.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Paper Reply with quote

Pippin & Merry are on the front page of EP News this week!

Also me and Zanadana though our photo is MUCH smaller.

It's not up yet on www.edenprairienews.com but should be soon.

Pippin & Merry, kredep, and EP Minnesota & I will meet with Parks about the policy next week. Will keep you posted.

Deb
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Paper Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
Pippin & Merry are on the front page of EP News this week!

Also me and Zanadana though our photo is MUCH smaller.

It's not up yet on www.edenprairienews.com but should be soon.

I found an article but no pictures:

http://www.edenprairienews.com/node/2050

Very nice!
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Article Reply with quote

Hmm, I can't say I've found too many caches that are camouflaged to look like surrounding "fauna" . . . . but no matter. Very Happy

I have at least found one of these and it scared the bejesus out of me.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Kredep, Pippin, EPMinnesota and I met with Stu Fox (City Parks) and two of the Parks Commissioners this evening to talk about a geocaching policy. It was a great conversation and they were very open to our ideas. I felt very positive that they were willing to put in the effort not to restrict caching any more than necessary.

Right now it is looking like a simple registration process (similar to Three Rivers) with caching permitted in most city parkland. There would be stricter guidelines or no caching permitted in a few areas to prevent encroaching on ecological treasures, historic sites, or other residents (i.e., park has that conspicuous "in someone's backyard" feel we all hate anyway, or is too close to a school). It looks like we will be able to use many of the conservation areas which is HUGE because they are some of the most beautiful parks and trails in Eden Prairie. Stu is going to draft something and we will all meet again to go over it. Then it should come up for vote to the Commission at their July meeting.

Thanks again to everyone who helped put this citizen cacher effort together. Will keep you posted.

Deb
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Update Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
Kredep, Pippin, EPMinnesota and I met with Stu Fox (City Parks) and two of the Parks Commissioners this evening to talk about a geocaching policy. It was a great conversation and they were very open to our ideas. I felt very positive that they were willing to put in the effort not to restrict caching any more than necessary.

Right now it is looking like a simple registration process (similar to Three Rivers) with caching permitted in most city parkland. There would be stricter guidelines or no caching permitted in a few areas to prevent encroaching on ecological treasures, historic sites, or other residents (i.e., park has that conspicuous "in someone's backyard" feel we all hate anyway, or is too close to a school). It looks like we will be able to use many of the conservation areas which is HUGE because they are some of the most beautiful parks and trails in Eden Prairie. Stu is going to draft something and we will all meet again to go over it. Then it should come up for vote to the Commission at their July meeting.

Thanks again to everyone who helped put this citizen cacher effort together. Will keep you posted.

Deb

Great work on this, it's always great to read the updates and see positive things happening. It's great that this is locals to the area working with the local park department with the assistance from the MNGCA instead of someone from outside the area trying to push things. It really comes to show that there are cachers everywhere who do care about both sides of the issue. Thanks again!

Celticwulf
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Not banned Reply with quote

I wish I could figure out how to change the title of this thread without everyone losing their place--the"ban" is not accurate. Things are good.

Kredep, EPMInnesota, Merry & I met with Parks staff and commission members for the second time tonight. The policy should be ready for a vote at the July 16 parks meeting, after which it is anticipated EP caching can resume. It allows caching in most parks with a 25 foot from trail restriction in certain conservation areas and other common-sense restrictions. There will be a simple registration process similar to 3 Rivers.

The good news is now the 2 commission members on the committee want to go caching! So I guess take them over to Chanhassen and . . . kidding, kidding.

The nice thing about this is there will lots of new caches to find in my hometown for my personal convenience. Handy that.

All the Parks people have been very nice throughout the process and I'm looking forward to getting out into the parks again with GPS in hand!
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Not banned Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
I wish I could figure out how to change the title of this thread without everyone losing their place--the"ban" is not accurate.

Fixed.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Not banned Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
It allows caching in most parks with a 25 foot from trail restriction in certain conservation areas and other common-sense restrictions. There will be a simple registration process similar to 3 Rivers.

Just to clarify, the 25 foot restriction is for conservation areas only? And how do they determine the point of origin for the 25 feet? Three Rivers' wording is vague but their real intention is different than the wording makes it seem to be.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Not banned Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
The nice thing about this is there will lots of new caches to find in my hometown for my personal convenience. Handy that.

What will happen to existing caches? Register them if they are within 25 feet of a trail and archive them if they aren't? Or will all existing caches be archived and start fresh? A big thanks to everyone involved!
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Clairifications Reply with quote

The policy is not final yet but yes, the 25-foot rule (from an established, planned trail) is only for 5 or 6 of the particularly nice conservation areas (Anderson, Edenvale, maybe one more, and the 3 new virgin trail systems that I was about to introduce you all to with fabulous hides right before this happened).

Most other parks you can go off trail. There are a handful that are "no caching" for very credible reasons (historic sites or archaeological sites, too ecologically sensitive, etc.) The "no caching" and "25-foot restricted" parks will be listed by name in the policy. There's no restrictions beyond the gc.com ones on caches per park, per hider, size, naming of caches, or anything like that. I really think they went out of their way not to spoil anybody's fun without a good reason.

They want all caches registered with Stu (the form will be similar to 3 Rivers) and then they can be reactivated. If they're in an unallowed location I guess you are SOL and will need to archive or relocate. (Based onwhat was out there before, mine will be the most affected and I have already pulled them). Stu sort of looked at us (ok me--lucky me) to spread the word about the need to register. I think most local cachers are in the loop already.

Deb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: