MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eden Prairie Caching policy (complete!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drat19
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an EP resident for as long as I'm here on this long-term consulting gig (have been for 2+ years now). I've already heard from Dornole and am planning to attend the May 7th meeting...perhaps to provide some perspective from someone who has traveled/cached nationwide for the past 5 years, to discuss the benefits geocachers provide, in contrast to the detriments that the city officials perceive.
Da Bloodhound
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc and I attended a CITO event last Saturday in Eau Claire, WI. We have some great photos of mountains of cleaned up debris. Perhaps Mr. Stuart Fox would take a second look at geocaching if that approach were taken. If not the same photos and a letter (or perhaps MANY letters) would get the attention of the Mayor and or City Council. Perhaps a notification system with review like WI DNR uses would work in EP.
Good luck all you unfortunate Eden Praire residents and neighbors.
Your friends across the creek hope you are successful in reversing this policy.
DOC. and Da Bloodhound :lol:
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Progress Report Reply with quote

I submitted a packet of info yesterday to EP Parks Manager (Stu Fox) consisting of:

--2 page explanation of geocaching (reviewed by Pear Head)
--newspaper article on caching
--US Forest service study of cachers that puts us in a good light
--7 letters of support from EP residents who cache (thanks everyone!!!)

This info will be forwarded to Parks staff and Parks Commission members prior to their next meeting.

I will be giving the MNGCA powerpoint on caching (modified for EP use) at the next meeting, Monday May 7 at 7pm in Eden Prairie City Center on Mitchell Road (I believe it's in the Council Chamber) and answering questions. Some resident cachers are also hoping to attend in support if their schedules permit.

Stu says it will be near the start of the meeting under "petitions" and should be low key. (It is fine to scam out after, you don't have to stay for the whole thing). It will probably be the start of an exploratory process for them where the Commission asks Staff to draft some kind of policy for their review. Then in June or July we could potentially comment on that draft when the Commission takes it up again. If we're nice enough maybe we can weigh in during the draft process.

I am getting the vibe from Stu that we will likely get to cache in EP again but they will put some restrictions on locations, container marking and stuff like that, maybe even registration. It's the Commission's decision but in my experience they give a lot of weight to Staff's opinion. So we will just need to not screw up and try to get the most open policy that fits with their needs.

I look forward to putting some names to faces, though it won't probably be your real names that I remember! I'll be there at 6:45 to deal with the AV equipment if you want to say hi.

Peace,

dornole (Deb)
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for taking this project on!
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dornole, for making the effort and taking the time to head up this project. It is appreciated.
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EskoClimber wrote:
Thanks dornole, for making the effort and taking the time to head up this project. It is appreciated.

ditto!
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: tomorrow Reply with quote

It's tomorrow--looking forward to meeting some new people and ultimately starting the process to cache on!
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: tomorrow Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
It's tomorrow--looking forward to meeting some new people and ultimately starting the process to cache on!

I'll be there tonight!
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: tomorrow Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
dornole wrote:

I'll be there tonight!

Good luck guys!
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of what is said tonight make sure it doesn't deter you from the final positive outcome that will occur if you keep on them.

Best of luck and thanks for all that you are doing for geocaching in Minnesota.
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late notice Dornole, but if you get this in time, I plan on attending also.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Meeting Reply with quote

We had a bit of a late night at the EP Parks Commission -- some of the agenda items before us were quite lengthy--but overall I think it went well. We had a great turnout and the Commission and Stu Fox seemed willing to work with us and got a better idea of what caching is all about. They've invited us to work with Parks staff and a couple of the commission members to craft a policy. Stu's estimate was that it would not be a real lengthy process and that we could get something done in 4-6 weeks.

I think there are still some concerns about conservation areas that we'll have to dialogue about, but there was also one commission member who was ready to just reinstate caching in the interim. So I do think it will move quickly and not be more restrictive than it needs to be. We have a seat at the table to give our point of view.

THANK YOU to everyone for coming, helping strategize and hanging out till almost 10 pm! It was really fun to meet everybody. Maybe I need to get to Weeknight Caching Crew one of these days.

Thanks--

Deb (dornole)
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deb,

ROCK ON!

Thanks go out to you and everyone else that showed up to show their support.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: EP News article Reply with quote

Here's the article that ran in the Sun Current:

http://www.mnsun.com/articles/2007/05/11/news/ep10geocache.txt

Deb
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: EP News article Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
Here's the article that ran in the Sun Current:

http://www.mnsun.com/articles/2007/05/11/news/ep10geocache.txt

Deb

Glad they called us aficionados instead of addicts. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: