MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eden Prairie Caching policy (complete!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me that EP don't need any tourism dollars.

You might want to ask the chamber of commerce and local businesses (i.e. restaurants and gas stations) if they believe this is the right direction for their park systems.

Last edited by merkman on Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a letter to the editor?
Is there a local newspaper?
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: EP Reply with quote

I actually have a column in the newspaper that runs monthly and certainly letters could also be written.

Having seen this from the inside though the best way is to negotiate with staff, petition if needed and go through the Parks Commission to figure out something. "Follow the process" is the name of the game. Sounds like there are some concerns about trampling vegetation and about "outside" groups using the parks that could be laid to rest/addressed with some honest dialogue. I would be surprised if they came down harsher than the DNR and Three Rivers after considering it. Hopefully the caches can stay while we work this out.
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with dornole that to assume a strong adversarial stance may not be as effective as working personally with the decision makers. Since dornole actually knows some of these people, having a personal meeting would be that much more effective.

I'm curious how EP parks could just now becoming aware of caching and caches in EP. Seems strange since these park boards like to gather and discuss - and I know that geocaching has been a topic of discussion.

I would hope that if they are requesting that all city park caches be removed that we comply without negative comment fairly soon. If we're hoping to have them adopt a more caching favorable set of rules, we'd like to have it known that we as a group do play by the rules.

Maybe in the next day or so we (presumably dornole or some other EP resident) could attempt to get them to specifically allow the existing caches to remain while we engage in the proposed discussions. If they flat refuse this request, then like I said, we should comply with their request to remove - because it's the right thing to do AND it demonstrates that we do recognize their authority and will comply.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A. To echo paklid's concern, I hope that if EP asks a cacher to pull a cache that the cacher do so promptly. Hopefully we will regain the privilege to put the caches back in the park but in the meantime we do need to show that we play by the rules.

B. My intention is to work with dornole and any other EP resident that is interested (plus probably others who want to show support) in getting caching back in.

Stay tuned.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: EP Reply with quote

They still have not contacted me but it's not like I don't know. It might call integrity into question to wait around for a summons when we're supposed to be "spreading the word."

Would it be cool to disable caches and physically remove them but not archive? That way they could be easily restored if approval is granted? And it might make people feel better.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: EP Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
Would it be cool to disable caches and physically remove them but not archive? That way they could be easily restored if approval is granted? And it might make people feel better.

Although it seems better by just disabling them for us, I think we show better faith by archiving the caches and removing them.

I spoke with Surfer Joe and he has no problem with this approach.
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I think we should archive all caches out of EP Parks to show that we are a responsible group.
Second, because non-residents seem to be the issue here then EP residents will need to take the lead. Obviously, any support the MnGCA can provide needs to be through EP residents.
Third, we need to determine the specific issues EP has with geocaching.
Fourth, what can we do to alleviate those concerns.

Since "they take their lead from the DNR" it is likely that a permit will be needed. It could also be mentioned that other municipalities have policies in place (Duluth for example) as well as the Superior National Forest.

I would not recommend we start writing letters to the editor just yet as this would probably polarize the issue making it difficult to discuss with EP.
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A list of parks would be nice. Aren't some controled by Three Rivers? Does it matter? Is it just all parks within the city linits? Confused
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dachebo wrote:
A list of parks would be nice. Aren't some controled by Three Rivers? Does it matter? Is it just all parks within the city linits? Confused

Yeah, Bryant Lake, Anderson Lake west of 169, and part of Glen Lake Park(?) are owned by Three Rivers, so I assume they wouldn't be included in this.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: List of EP City Parks Reply with quote

A list and map of EP City Parks is available on the City website:

www.edenprairie.org
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Archived Reply with quote

I just archived all of mine.

Now I sort of wish I had disabled for a week first like GeoPierce did to spread the word. When they're archived the listing just vanishes.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paklid wrote:
I agree with dornole that to assume a strong adversarial stance may not be as effective as working personally with the decision makers. Since dornole actually knows some of these people, having a personal meeting would be that much more effective.

I agree

Paklid wrote:

I'm curious how EP parks could just now becoming aware of caching and caches in EP. Seems strange since these park boards like to gather and discuss - and I know that geocaching has been a topic of discussion.

I think we will see more and more of this as new park managers and board members are put into place, not only in EP but also in areas all over the state. With written "rules" and policies in place the transition from new manager to new manager should be much easier and the wheel should not have to be invented each time there is a change in the management.
DLHCacher
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a discussion with Pear Head, here are my thoughts.

1. I do not see the ordinance that bans geocaching outright.
2. I do not think any other ordinance pertains to geocaching.
3. I think the MnGCA, with help from cachers that are Eden Prairie residents, should get a clarification as to why geocaching is not permitted. If it is determined that geocaching is truely not permitted, then we need to try to get geocaching permitted. (I am glad to see this is already occuring.)
4. To those of you that have hides in Eden Prairie city parks, you decide what you think is right. I'll still find them if they are there.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Archived Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
I just archived all of mine.

Now I sort of wish I had disabled for a week first like GeoPierce did to spread the word. When they're archived the listing just vanishes.

You could probably ask Surfer Joe to unarchive them. I only disabled mine because I won't be able to get out there until Saturday to actually remove it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: