MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't upload pdb files to Cachemate under Vista

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Can't upload pdb files to Cachemate under Vista Reply with quote

Note: the Quick Install utility that uploads pdb files to a Palm device does not work under Windows Vista. So if you are using Cachemate, you won't be able to use your Vista machine to update your cachemate files.

Note that this upload problem goes beyond cachemate, and has ticked off lots of Palm users (some at Palm, some at Windows, some are just ticked...) - but for now, Palm hasn't released a patch for Vista.

So keep a machine or two on XP!
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was quite a discussion on this last week on the Oklahoma caching listserve. I think they had some answers on how to fix it but I'm not sure. I'll have to browse the archives some and see. I don't use a Palm anymore so I pretty much deleted the related emails.
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got it! This is probably a problem no one else has, but I'm going to post the answer anyway so when I forget how I did this, I can look it up.

The problem: can't install a PDB file (or anything) to a Palm device under Vista, which means you can't load anything into Cachemate

Solution: Simple in retrospect (after killing the morning on this).

Create PDB file with GSAK
Insert SD card into the PC's card reader
Create a directory called /CacheMate
Copy PDB file to /Cachemate
Insert SD card into Palm

Next time you boot up the Palm, it will scan the card and import caches from all the PDB files in that directory.

WOOT! as they say Cool
cstjohn
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm....haven't had problems with this one. Vista has certainly created some challenges, but this hasn't been one of them for me.

When I installed the Hot Sync software from the CD I did eliminate \Program Files\ and installed directly to C: This was counter-intuitive from previous Windows operating system installations, but in reading a bunch of boards over problems with security and Vista - this seems to be the fix. I was having problems with GSAK until I did the same thing.

The only thing that I can't run is the Magellan software. But, hey, no real loss there. Very Happy
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cstjohn wrote:
Hmmmm....haven't had problems with this one. Vista has certainly created some challenges, but this hasn't been one of them for me.

When I installed the Hot Sync software from the CD I did eliminate \Program Files\ and installed directly to C: This was counter-intuitive from previous Windows operating system installations, but in reading a bunch of boards over problems with security and Vista - this seems to be the fix. I was having problems with GSAK until I did the same thing.

The only thing that I can't run is the Magellan software. But, hey, no real loss there. Very Happy

Hotsync does work OK under Vista (given a bit of fiddling - I had to upgrade Pocketmirror). But Palm's QuickInstall program doesn't work with Vista, and QuickInstall is used to transfer the PDB file over. The above methods does an end-around to load the database.

The fun other Vista/Garmin thing was that I needed to go get the new USB drivers for the PC to see the GPS. And I still haven't gotten Vista to see my cell phone...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: