MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hey Twins Fans!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Hey Twins Fans! Reply with quote

A new season is almost upon us. Several times I've been outstate during a game and tried to find the game on the radio. Turn the dial...stopping at stations, waiting out the commercials to see if they come back with the game, moving on and trying again...it gets aggravating.

Now that I have a GPS that lets you upload custom Points of Interest (POIs), I won't have that problem. I made a custom POI file that has all the Twins Radio Network stations. Pull up that POI database in your GPS and see what station is closest.

If you're interested, you can find my file here:
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/2201

You have to register to get it, but it's free and there's a growing number of PIO files there. If you'd rather not register, you could PM me and send your email address and I'll send it to you.
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a cool idea. I've grabbed the POI file.

I'm not the biggest Twins fan, but I do remember searching the dial for games while driving around last summer and fall.

I do think the custom POIs are a great feature.

I took a trip to Wyoming and Colorado a couple months ago, but I wasn't sure exactly where in those states I was going to be. So, I made Custom POI files with several hundred caches in likely areas, and as I turned out, I was able track down a few interested in caches thanks to the POI data.
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eventually I'll create the same sort of POI file for the Vikings. I might do it for the Wild and the T'wolves, just to finish the set, though I never listen to them on the radio. The way the Vikings have been lately, I may not listen to them either.

There's one file on that poi-factory.com site that has a bunch of waterfalls, and if anyone is a ham radio operator, someone there loaded up all the repeaters in the country with all the frequencies, tones & offsets, and built files for each state. That would sure beat trying to read through the repeater directory while your driving down the road.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5savages wrote:
There's one file on that poi-factory.com site that has a bunch of waterfalls, and if anyone is a ham radio operator, someone there loaded up all the repeaters in the country with all the frequencies, tones & offsets, and built files for each state. That would sure beat trying to read through the repeater directory while your driving down the road.

I downloaded the waterfalls, islands, bays and MN lighthouses. Smile
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah and so far 1500 is not that impressive... their signal is crap going along 212 in Eden Prairie on my way home to Chaska... come on guys we're out there, but we're not that far out.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloaded it, along with a bunch of the stadium POI's... helpful since I shoot sports. How are most of those built? Do people input adresses into some sort of database or is it lat/long? I only ask as I noticed NBA/NHL venues weren't available. I have all the adresses I'd need in media guides, but I just don't know how to get the info into one of those POI Files...
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Twins' Mauer Sidelined With Leg Injury
From Associated Press
March 22, 2007 2:58 PM EDT

MINNEAPOLIS - Minnesota Twins catcher Joe Mauer has a stress reaction in his left leg, the team said Thursday.

The Twins described the injury as a precursor to a stress fracture. They discovered the injury after Mauer complained of soreness in the leg.

Mauer, last season's American League batting champion, hurt his left knee in his rookie season in 2004.

Mauer was to be treated with a bone stimulator and physical therapy, and was to be re-evaluated Sunday, Twins spokesman Mike Herman said.

"Basically all that we know right now is they caught it early, obviously before it turned into a stress fracture," Herman said. "They're shutting him down until Sunday."

Not good news!
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
Downloaded it, along with a bunch of the stadium POI's... helpful since I shoot sports. How are most of those built? Do people input adresses into some sort of database or is it lat/long? I only ask as I noticed NBA/NHL venues weren't available. I have all the adresses I'd need in media guides, but I just don't know how to get the info into one of those POI Files...

I cannibalized an existing POI file to make mine.

The POI file can be built using a simple program such as notepad. I used MS Excel.

If you have the address you'll have first use something like Google Earth to search on them and get the coordinates, then create the POI file.

BTW, POI files are simply comma delimited text files. Open one up in Notepad or Excel.

I'd go further into it but I'm swamped here at work. If you check out the poi-factory.com forums, or to their FAQs, there should be some info on creating poi files.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5savages wrote:
If you have the address you'll have first use something like Google Earth to search on them and get the coordinates, then create the POI file.

If you have the complete address, you can use geocoder.us to get the coordinates.
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving home from dinner with the family today and though I'd check in on the Twins, but I wasn't sure where to find them on the dial. Oh yeah, I have the custom POI file loaded. Seconds later, I was tuned in. Thanks 5savages.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish DirecTV had FSN as part of the basic service. Instead I had to spend the day drinking Mimosas and beer at our friends' place while watching the Twinkies kick the Sox in the teeth Smile

I'm going to the game Tuesday and next Sat. They won last Tuesday's game that I went to (a rare ocasion for us to witness live) so hopefully they keep it up Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: