MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GEM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posen wrote:
I was glad to see they didn't have the clip of Posen and Savanna doing the "dance of the angry hornet's nest" from last fall...that was a scary thing for our 7-year-old to watch...not even bad words, but many, many stings. Are we sure this is fun?!?!? Confused

I'm sure the video of Arcticabn doing something similar was also good.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get something together over the next week. I'll try and look up some other greybeards and get some buy-in.

One item of record is (are?) the meeting minutes:

http://www.mngca.org/minutes.php

Select 11/11/2002. You will see who attended the first meeting and what our priorities were (park relations, should the group continue and if so in what form, elections etc.).

"Back in my day. . ."
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing more to add?

Since a local cacher is doing a series of history coins, I want the true history presented. I'll make this short for now. The current board should unarchive and return to Centris two events: First Minnesota Cache Bash and The Halloween Hoopla.

I have copies of those event pages, printed soon after the event. They were NOT MNGCA events.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry,

This is starting to be not so fun anymore.

-Merkman
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is NOT anti-MnGCA. A lot of good things have happened because of the MnGCA. This is anti-actions taken by past board members, which can be corrected.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those events were "moved" before 2004.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
GEM is a caching group in Minnesota. I'm not aware of any particular leader in it, but it certainly exists. It is comprised of some of the first geocachers in Minnesota. They're a fun group of people and they focus more around events rather than policy changes to geocaching in Minnesota. KC0GRN and KingBoreas can give you more info.

Depending on who you count, and when, I guess there might be about 6-50 people who like to have fun.

We leave the policy changes to the corporate group. They're much more experienced, and we appreciate the benefits. Smile
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paklid wrote:

~snip~

I believe GEM was a loose knit statewide organization of geocachers that morphed into the MnGCA. I don't know who were members of GEM - and it was likely a group of like minded people rather than a real defined membership, but it would be greybeards (male and female) like bobhiker, RJ, Centris, King Boreas, Towlebooth, Jillibean and I'm sure a whole lot more.

~snip~

So whether any of the former members of GEM feel that the group still exists or not, I haven't a clue. I do see King Boreas listing events using GEM as a host. My guess is that this is either a barb, or some nostalgic feeling, but maybe a group of them feel the club or whatever it was still exists.

~snip~

Like I said, I know that I don't have the real story. I, for one, would like to see an accurate history article written which would allow new cachers, or middle aged cachers like me, to know how Minnesota caching got its start, and how the MnGCA got its start. It would be a good thing to have linked to by the MnGCA home page.

Or I suppose you could just say it all came about like Commodore.

"nostalgic feeling" sounds about right
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
GEM ended when there was a disagreement with the founder (I forget her name) and some of the other members (Bobhiker, towlebooth, Centris, and some that haven't been around since the VERY early days of the MnGCA). She owned the domain and the website and yanked em both.

Because the domain was gone (mngeo.com IIRC) the rest of the interested individuals had to start another organization and the MnGCA was formed.

Chad or Nola would know more but what Ian is doing isn't anything more than I stated above -- an organization that is nothing more than a name which in the grand scheme is fine as long as everyone involved with the events are happy.

Brenna (bk11) has never answered any of my emails about use of her logo, or anything else. I guess she responded to Merkman.

As far as I can tell, everyone has been very happy with the Events. Smile
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

towlebooth wrote:
I'll get something together over the next week. I'll try and look up some other greybeards and get some buy-in.

One item of record is (are?) the meeting minutes:

http://www.mngca.org/minutes.php

Select 11/11/2002. You will see who attended the first meeting and what our priorities were (park relations, should the group continue and if so in what form, elections etc.).

"Back in my day. . ."

11/11/2002 would be a few days after 10/27/2002
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:

Brenna (bk11) has never answered any of my emails about use of her logo, or anything else. I guess she responded to Merkman.

As far as I can tell, everyone has been very happy with the Events. Smile

Brenna (bk11) did respond to me and was very pleasant and supportive.

Geocaching.com does not allow the use of the GEM logo as it existed before (on coins at least) due to what I understand as copyright infringement. So I am not sure it matters if she lets you use the logo or not?

I know I am happy with the GEM events and the fact that over 25% of the caches in MN were placed by GEM members.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW:

Over a month ago, I contacted everyone who attended the first event almost five years ago. I mentioned that we would be having a reunion event and would like to have them come, still active or not.

I did not receive responses from everyone, but the amazing thing is that not a single email was bounced. Many are planning (or hoping) to attend, including Geo13 from North Carolina.

Could this Event please be listed on the website?
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the MnGCA profile:

MnGCA

GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
FWIW:

Over a month ago, I contacted everyone who attended the first event almost five years ago. I mentioned that we would be having a reunion event and would like to have them come, still active or not.

Could this Event please be listed on the website?

Event has been added.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Event has been added.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: