MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GEM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If merkman is satisfied, please lock.
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for the "old timer" to chime in eh?? Wink L-o-n-g history from Centris.....

The first Cache Bash WAS my event. You can tell it was because I am the one who archived it. (plus it was held in my backyard - LOL) All the receipts and reservations were in my name - this is easily proved. However, the wording "Cache Bash" was suggested by Perrine on the forums.
People on the mngeo forums had argued back and forth for weeks about doing an event or not doing an event until it just made me want to puke so I did it myself. If it had not been me somebody else would have eventually done it.

The MnGCA geocaching account was created by me and owned by me (pre-MnGCA). I started this account for the sole purpose of creating events because, at the time, I decided I only wanted actual caches in my personal geo-account and not events. The original name on that account was "Parties R Us".
I changed "Parties R Us" to the MnGCA name in March 2003 right before the first general meeting of the MnGCA (held at my husband's office). I thought that changing the name made the meeting sound more professional and serious, less party-like. Rolling Eyes This meeting would be the first actual MnGCA "event"

Both the Cache Bash and the Hoopla were created before the Parties R Us account even came to be. They were transferred in later.

(Remember that all this takes place back when you could change the names on your geo-accounts easily and transfer caches between accounts easily and edit caches and change coords easily and unarchive caches at will - less rules, more freedom - life was good. We switched names and caches and moved things around all the time and didn't think twice about it. This is why so many of the "old timers" are resistant to changes that Jod makes -- we remember when we had full control of our own caches and accounts and didn't have to ask for permission to do everything *sigh*)

In hindsight, I should have just started a new account just for the MnGCA in March 2003 and left my "party" account as it was, but back then I never envisioned how my geocaching life would evolve years later -- LOL.
Anyway, two years later I turned that account password over to the MnGCA organization when JT was elected new board chairman. Whoever he put in charge of the account changed the account out of my name and out of my email and changed the profile (except for the photo -- it is the same one I put up).

The Halloween Hoopla was also my event, but was transferred into my "Parties R Us" account before it was archived. Yes, the page was edited after the formation of the MnGCA to show Minnesota Geocaching instead of GEM, but you see several references to GEM in the logs so you know it is not MnGCA. How can you tell it was my event? -- probably all the logs that say "thanks Centris for the event" and the logs by me that says I updated the page (from my personal account - before the party account was made).

Trivia tidbit -- The Crosby location was suggested by John Moriarty (Ramsey County Parks) as a way to get that park cleaned up since we were already pushing CITO among geocachers and it worked out GREAT -- that was an awesome event and we hauled out lots of nasty trash. Bobhiker and I were *just* starting communication with Ramsey county for access to their parks. The Halloween event was supposed to show them how responsible and tidy we were. Shocked That Hoopla/CITO tradition and relationship at Crosby park has been carried on by KB.

GEM had already started to have in-fighting at that point in time of the Hoopla and the first stirrings of a new (rogue) organization was starting. There were people already meeting in private and talking about a new pro-active group that would be more effective than just a forum.

Once upon a time, my ongoing CITO cache was transferred into the Parties R Us account because it was an event and I was keeping all my events on that account. (At the time I thought I would be having LOTS of events over the years, but then we started creating events and meetings for the MnGCA instead)

Yes, I did ask for all three of the caches back to my personal account at one time. I WAS awarded custody of the CITO cache after a heated discussion (that I WILL NOT re-visit or discuss here under ANY circumstances - DON'T even go there!!).
I was denied transfer of the Cache Bash and the Hoopla back to my account. But.....I was so happy to be given my pet project, the CITO cache back all in one piece that I let the matter drop.
I'm sure the current board can look at the archives on their hidden forum to see the discussion on this. (but like I said, let's not go there again)

---> BTW - All this was going on at the same time as my husband was actively fighting his cancer and I was trying to care for him full time as well as be a mom to my five kids, so I really did not have the time or energy or mental strength to fully follow up on any of it. I could have pushed it longer, but I didn't.

Honestly, I was really happy to have the CITO cache back. I love that cache - I think it is my very best geo-idea I ever had.... coming up on 5 years of cleaning MN parks!!! (look for a beautiful geo-coin commemorating that cache coming this summer)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Cache Bash and Hoopla #1 are part of MN geo-history now -- they are not really "owned" by anybody anymore (including GEM or the MnGCA).
Yes I did it, yes I would like credit for them, yes I would have liked them back, but that is never going to happen.
BTW -- Several people were doing different things then and deserve massive credit for what was accomplished back then. My contribution just happened to be creating events because I was good at it.

This is the way all history throughout time works.... those little people and incidents who were there at the grassroots - those who were making small trails and instigating sparks of change fall into the cracks and disappear without a trace. Is it fair?....no, but that is just the way it is.

I would really like to see this discussion ended -- too many raw nerves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as a GEM coin goes.... Steve already knows my opinion on this... My Experience Minnesota coin front IS a tribute to GEM as far as groundspeak would allow the logo to go. I have always said that from the first time I unveiled the coin. I don't see the point of having another coin with a similar logo on it.
Choose some other aspect of GEM to put on the coin. I love Very Happy the idea of the MN history series, but two similar coin logos from different cachers does not make sense.
(If anybody really cares about the history of the ExMN coin = MNCZFM)

The whole GEM issue, cache issue, is too prickly.......

I DO think there should be a coin for the 5th anniversary of the Cache Bash, but I would like the proper facts to surround the coin design. Steve has first dibs on doing the coin and we have already discussed this - it will be a good coin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centris, thanks for your contribution to this thread. It was nice to chat with you again Smile
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool history. What I don't get is that there sounds like there's still some debate and hard feelings after all of this time. And the fact that I see it brought up over and over.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: