MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maybe a new idea?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Maybe a new idea? Reply with quote

I am not into coins but have followed enough to know that they go missing. I picked up a "traveling coin" today in a Texas cache only it wasn't a coin. The person had laminated a picture of a Colorado coin that he owns with all the info needed to log for a count. that way if it goes missing he isn't out anything- and the people who "find " it can log it. Just an idea - maybe some of you already do this.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a couple of these that were done this style already. I don't have a laminator yet, though.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally am not very fond of that idea. Imagine if everyone did that for travel bugs too (or jeeps). Heck in that case lets just take a pic of the cache, that way it won't be muggled. The more coins that go out into caches will make coins less of a novelty and therefore fewer coins will be stolen. With more people putting coins in caches, I think the coins being stolen issue will resolve itself over time.
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see realeasing a picture of a coin AFTER its gone missing, but I wouldn't do that until that sad event actually happened. I like finding geocoins in the cache, especially with all the new designs that are out there.
One thing I've done is to drill and tag some of my coins. That wrecks the value for someone to collect them and keeps them on the road for others to enjoy.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EskoClimber wrote:
I can see realeasing a picture of a coin AFTER its gone missing, but I wouldn't do that until that sad event actually happened. I like finding geocoins in the cache, especially with all the new designs that are out there.
One thing I've done is to drill and tag some of my coins. That wrecks the value for someone to collect them and keeps them on the road for others to enjoy.

It doesn't just ruin the value of the coin. It prevents the thief from showing it off to other cachers as they will know that it was taken from a cache and not purchases. Adds to the forced peer influence.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah-ha- I read the card carefully- the idea is not the coin itself, but to move through as many caches as possible and get as many cachers as possible to get a Colorado coin icon on their stats page. Well, like I said I am not into coins- so will drop today. Hey- I just went to Johnny Horton's grave as part of a first stage multi that will eventually wind up in Shreveport's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame- Johnny Horton "Battle of New Orleans" (In 1814 we took a little trip...) " North to Alaska" ( Way up North), and "Sink the Bismarck -( In May of 1941 the war had just begun)
good songs from my youth!
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EskoClimber wrote:
I can see realeasing a picture of a coin AFTER its gone missing

Yes this is one exception I could live with.

Another thing that others have said about this, is to name the trackable in such a way that someone knows it is not actually a coin but a picture of the coin before they travel to the cache.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EskoClimber wrote:

I picked up one of TecGeoJim's coins that he did that to. He placed a large keychain on the coin with the details about the coin on the keychain. It was very classy looking and still allowed the people to see the coin. After talking with him, he said, it helps with the logging of the coin also, since his tracking number is printed larger than what is on the coin. I really like this method.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: