MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old threads
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Old threads Reply with quote

Just for the record, what is the acceptable time frame wherein one is allowed to post to an old thread? Rolling Eyes
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what the posters intentions are. When it's to post pointless links and other irrelevant items with the obvious intention of being difficult, the rule is never.

edit for spelling

Last edited by Marsha and Silent Bob on Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Depends on what the posters intentions are. When it's to post pointless links and other irrelevant items with the obvious intetion of being difficult, the rule is never.

Ummm...on the last locked thread, the link posted was the same link originally posted by the OP of that thread...at least that's what I could figure out after trying to determine what was going on...

CW
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't need to revive old threads for no reason. They're dead, let them stay that way.

If you're posting to a Breakfast Buddies thread that's been dead because you want to discuss an upcoming event, fine. If you're posting to a For Sale thread where the device was sold in 2004 just because you think it's funny, don't.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

intetion of being difficult

Humm.... pot... kettle... black... Very Happy
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merkman wrote:
intetion of being difficult

Humm.... pot... kettle... black... Very Happy

I wish I could spell better.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to ask, who gives a darn if an old thread is posted to?? I could take it or leave it. Doesn't sound like it is worth the fight.. unless I am missing a bigger picture (which I usually do).
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we just need to remind people of the "general" rules of forum posting (from Wikipedia):

Quote:
Forum etiquette
Certain rules of unspoken etiquette are recommended to be followed when using Internet forums. They include:

One should read all the rules and guidelines established by the community; some communities may have different regulations on a particular subject.
One should always be courteous.
Before creating a new topic thread, one is advised to search to see if a similar topic already exists.
Contributors should follow standard grammar and spelling rules and avoid slang.
If the forum is categorized, one should strive to post in the correct section.
When making a technical inquiry, one should include as much technical information as possible, especially in the subject line.
Contributors are asked to stay on-topic.
Contributors should avoid double posting and Crossposting.
To avoid appearing self-absorbed, one should respond to topics started by others more often than starting topics of their own.
Contributors should avoid the use of all CAPITAL LETTERS in posts. All CAPS is considered "shouting" and causes readability issues.
One is advised not to resurrect a very old topic if nothing significant will be added. This practice is known as revival or Necroing.
One should try to refrain from lashing back at a poorly behaving member or participating in a flame war; instead, notify the messageboard's staff of the event.
When quoting a previous post, one should only include the relevant portion of that post. Contributors are requested to keep in mind that their audience can likely still see the message they are quoting on the same screen and can read it again if need be.

Sometimes we get off track in certain areas (from what I've seen the WeekNIGHT thread is the usual off track area at times Wink ) but in general, I'd think this is appropriate for this forum as well as others. We all just need to remember that people can NOT tell what you are feeling (ie laughing) when you post, so what you thought was a silly comment may be taken completly the oposite. And in general, if you're annoyed about a subject and want to post...wait at least an hour to think about the subject before you post...it will save you in the long run (as spoken from experience Laughing )

Celticwulf
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here goes:

I've unlocked the recent threads that I locked due to this and decided that it just doesn't much matter any more.

Have at it KB.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it on my account. It was just one cachers opinion and it looks like there are over 700 of us (registered users). Frankly, I'd rather see posts to old threads rather than flame-fests that go on in most online forums. The Groundspeak forums can be REALLY bad.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't just you.

Even though what I felt I did was in the right, it might not have been and I did what I could to right it.
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what the posters intentions are. When it's to post pointless links and other irrelevant items with the obvious intention of being difficult, the rule is never.

edit for spelling

What might think as pointless or irrelevant, it might not be to some one eles.
new_dharma
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:
Perhaps we just need to remind people of the "general" rules of forum posting (from Wikipedia):

Quote:
Forum etiquette
Certain rules of unspoken etiquette are recommended to be followed when using Internet forums. They include:

One should read all the rules and guidelines established by the community; some communities may have different regulations on a particular subject.
One should always be courteous.
Before creating a new topic thread, one is advised to search to see if a similar topic already exists.
Contributors should follow standard grammar and spelling rules and avoid slang.
If the forum is categorized, one should strive to post in the correct section.
When making a technical inquiry, one should include as much technical information as possible, especially in the subject line.
Contributors are asked to stay on-topic.
Contributors should avoid double posting and Crossposting.
To avoid appearing self-absorbed, one should respond to topics started by others more often than starting topics of their own.
Contributors should avoid the use of all CAPITAL LETTERS in posts. All CAPS is considered "shouting" and causes readability issues.
One is advised not to resurrect a very old topic if nothing significant will be added. This practice is known as revival or Necroing.
One should try to refrain from lashing back at a poorly behaving member or participating in a flame war; instead, notify the messageboard's staff of the event.
When quoting a previous post, one should only include the relevant portion of that post. Contributors are requested to keep in mind that their audience can likely still see the message they are quoting on the same screen and can read it again if need be.

Sometimes we get off track in certain areas (from what I've seen the WeekNIGHT thread is the usual off track area at times Wink ) but in general, I'd think this is appropriate for this forum as well as others. We all just need to remember that people can NOT tell what you are feeling (ie laughing) when you post, so what you thought was a silly comment may be taken completly the oposite. And in general, if you're annoyed about a subject and want to post...wait at least an hour to think about the subject before you post...it will save you in the long run (as spoken from experience Laughing )

Celticwulf

Laughing you quoted Wikipedia...too funny!
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

new_dharma wrote:
Laughing you quoted Wikipedia...too funny!

If you're posting to a For Sale thread where the device was sold in 2004 just because you think it's funny, don't.

Please don't post to old threads. It seems to get us in trouble.

Thanks
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia

Sad

ya....a great source of info............geez

Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Website All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: